Living in rv - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2016, 08:11 AM   #1

Name: Janis
Trailer: obtaining information
Delaware
Living in rv

I was just wondering how many people actually live full-time in their Casita? Is it hard to do being it is small?
janisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:45 AM   #2

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
How many? Hoo boy, no way to answer that, but many, both singles and couples. And they seem to love it. You'd run into a lot of them on casitaforum.com.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:55 AM   #3

Name: Henry
Trailer: Intend to buy one day.
Florida
Not just Casita...

...it's any "very" small trailer. Some people love it, others couldn't do it. But it is a trend: We'll see more and more people living in ever-smaller accommodations. Zoning and deed restrictions generally prevent small low-cost housing from being built (unless government mandated and/or subsidized), so what's left? Trailers. And as the economy continues to constrict, many people will be forced to look for cheap alternatives.
Henry Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:40 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have lived in a Burro 17 and a Kit 15, and now a Leocraft 17. The only key to doing it is to be happy with yourself, and to lose your love of "stuff".

Only you can evaluate what is important to you, so isolate those needs and wants and pare down to what you can live with. I am not just talking about "things" but all the stuff you do in life. Gourmet cook? You'll have to readjust. Need a gym at home? Ain't gonna happen, but there are many alternatives. Getting to know and understand communal resources such as libraries, gyms and even bathrooms can be very helpful. If you can live with alternates, you'll do just fine.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:49 PM   #5

SW Virginia
As for gourmet cooking, adjustment is the key, it'll just tale a little creativity. No reason to give it up.

Walt
Old 01-11-2016, 09:54 PM   #6

Delaware
I have been getting rid of things especially books. Oh so many of them. I said about two years ago I would never use a kindle--well I use one now. My books are packed up but don't know how to get rid of them. Seems like salvation army is getting picky now (I didn't have any x-rated books). I guess they are tired of being a dumping ground. I've gotten rid of clothes and shoes I don't wear, really nice ones too. Some I never even wore. Gave some china to my daughter. It's true--when we are younger these things seemed important now I can't wait to get rid of things. Now I just want to travel.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:32 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Janis, I'm in the same boat. I have beautiful sterling silver flatware and a china service for 12 and all the extra pieces and on and on and on... my 24 y/o daughter (my only child) doesn't want any of it. But once it's gone... it's gone. And a lot of the pieces are "family."

I should have been raised using plastic ware and paper plates... sigh.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:21 PM   #8

Delaware
Oh, Donna, I hear your pain. Is your daughter married? Maybe in time she will change her mind. It especially hurts when it was in the family for years. Perhaps you can give it to a niece or cousins daughter, try to keep it in the family. Doesn't your daughter know that sterling is expensive? Maybe you should hang on to it, find a good storage facility (and insure the items--take pictures too). You could always will it to her or someone in the family. I would hate to see you give up family heirlooms. But you could sell the items--and put the money toward your new lifestyle. You have a hard decision to make.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:36 AM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by janisg View Post
I have been getting rid of things especially books. Oh so many of them. I said about two years ago I would never use a kindle--well I use one now. My books are packed up but don't know how to get rid of them. Seems like salvation army is getting picky now (I didn't have any x-rated books). I guess they are tired of being a dumping ground. I've gotten rid of clothes and shoes I don't wear, really nice ones too. Some I never even wore. Gave some china to my daughter. It's true--when we are younger these things seemed important now I can't wait to get rid of things. Now I just want to travel.
Janis, I too have a lot of hard bound books just taking up space. I think I'll donate them to our local small library. Like Donna, I have two sets of china from my Grandparents. My two daughters don't seem to be interested in them now. Think I'll just leave them boxed up and when I'm gone they'll have to decide .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:04 AM   #10

Delaware
That's funny Dave. It use to be kids fighting over the stuff that was left behind. It's a new generation. Like my sister-in-law says 'Its a throw-away generation, and they don't even want to cook dinner anymore.'. I was thinking maybe the younger generation have a better idea about how to live, but really I think they just spend a lot of money on themselves and their clothes. To many name brands!! They just have to have! Not all are like that--but alot. Also they want a more modern look--grandma's stuff just doesn't appeal to the younger generation. I was remembering when I went to high school I had four outfits to get me through the week--the fifth one I just wore a skirt with a different blouse. And I was content with that. My mom also didn't buy a lot of clothes but what she bought was high quality clothing on sale. Both my parents always looked nice. Today is so different. I have to admit my mother wouldn't be happy if she saw me today. I run around in jeans and sneakers. But isn't that standard wear with the rv crowd? I would love to go to quarzsite, arizona next year. But first have to realize my dream of getting a fiberglass camper.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:01 AM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
I think you're right Janis, times are different. Never was into name brands other than Levi & Stetson only because they fit the best and I wear them for years. Hey, I just thought of something else the kids are going to have to deal with. I always wanted a monitor top refer....well I've got a 1934 GE MT in mint condition and it weighs a ton. Kids will have field day with that .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:59 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Living in rv

With valuable family heirlooms, I think there is a good chance the children will not only want them, but treasure them... eventually.

When you're in your twenties, your focus is more on establishing yourself apart from your parents, cutting the cord, becoming an independent person. That is normal and healthy at that age. But as you get older, you begin to reconnect with your family heritage and pass it on to the next generation. Heirlooms become important; stories even more so.

Don't despair of the kids and find a way to hold onto the good stuff- chances are excellent they'll appreciate it some day. My wife has her eye on a collection of china tea cups my mother inherited from her mother-in-law, my paternal grandmother. I look forward to passing them on to one of our daughters. When they're ready.

Books are another matter.... Classics and rare editions are worth holding onto, but very few places want the rest. It kills me to throw away books, but I've had to do it.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:23 AM   #13

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We are definitely in a period with unprecedented and accelerating change. Though we're not too bad at incorporating change into our lives, our children (with us for 2 weeks) are much more able to adopt to change.

What we consider important to our lives is not the same as them.

Books certainly are at the top of the trash heap of change. Our grandson is building a clinic in central India. He's thankful for e-books. He could never take 6 months worth of books to India but can download what he wants. Interestingly he commented on the most important items he brought with him. It included electronics and a good plumb bob.

Change, a young american man flies to the middle of India to build a clinic, e-book and plumb bob in hand.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:26 AM   #14

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
When disposing of books I offer them to my local library. If those are unwanted by the library I give them to the Friends of the Library to sell. They use the money to support the library.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:50 AM   #15

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
I went through the same thing with my mothers bedroom set. She had bought a solid wood bedroom set for the master bedroom that was immaculate. I inherited this bedroom set, but it was too big for my bedrooms, and I already had a nice master bedroom set.
My daughters didn't want it for their homes. They went out and bought new ones. Laminated with press wood core of course. I ended up giving it to a friend of mine who needed one.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:14 AM   #16

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Living in rv

We've been paring way down for the last couple of months in preparation for a move from Montreal to Vancouver. When we moved here we brought all our "crap" with us at great expense, which we now dearly regret.
Anyway, the decision we use is a bit morbid. We ask, "What would the kids do with these items if we were to die suddenly and they had to come in and clean out our junk?" If the answer is that they'd most likely take it to a thrift store or put it in the trash then out it goes. For those few items that have real or sentimental value, we ask them. They've taken a few things. Other valuable pieces we try to sell. But if there are no takers it's off to the thrift store!
Our small apartment in Vancouver will be sparsely furnished and contain few mementos.
I can't begin to tell you what a great sense of freedom (or lightness) this process of elimination has given us.

If we did go full time we'd have no problem getting rid of the little we have left.

Oh, and I'm going 6 months "full time" this summer. Just me in 13 feet (well, 10 actually)!
Old 01-12-2016, 11:47 AM   #17

Name: Wendy
Trailer: ‘14 Casita 17 SD
Florida
Craigslist!

Take pictures of your things and list them on Craigslist. Save yourself the hassle of taking your discardable stuff anywhere -- people will come get it, and if no one wants to pay you for it, just list it under Free Stuff.

I needed 250 hard bound books gone quickly, I listed the lot as free, and two idealistic young women who were setting up an inner city coffee shop lending library took every one of them.

Everything I had was sold or given away with a minimum of heavy lifting on my part. I now live and travel full time with my cat in a 17-foot Casita. Nothing's in storage. This is my home. I'm 69 years old. The freedom is priceless.
WendyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:56 AM   #18

SW Virginia
Craigslist is good, and don't forget Freecycle for stuff you'd like to just give away.
I've used it quite a bit. Snap, it's gone and no effort on my part. It's great to see things find a new home, spare the landfill, even help out folks that are in need.
YMCA Thriftshops, Goodwill, lots of possibilities.

Walt
Old 01-12-2016, 01:34 PM   #19

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Wonderful story Wendy. Yes, freedom IS priceless.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:24 PM   #20

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Has anyone ever seen a moving van or a Brinks truck in a funeral procession?
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vin