Living with a 16 ft Scamp Deluxe almost 10 years. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-14-2020, 01:40 AM   #1

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
Living with a 16 ft Scamp Deluxe almost 10 years.

Well I will take a shot on things that I have learned with my 16ft Scamp Deluxe after having it for just short of 10 years.
1. If I was to buy another I would not get the gas heater, it worked for first 2 years then quit lighting or won't stay lit. Worked great until I needed it on a December camping trip.
2. If possible I would half disassemble and seal all wood before any use.
3. Should have got a fantastic fan installed when ordered too.
4. Should have added a shut off valve in water line to toilet and outlet for water heater.
5. Should added sprayer on toilet water line too.
6. Should have re set windows with butyl tape, door handle and hinges.
7. AC has been a work horse, should have added a vent /fan for stove area, I use computer fans (12 volt)
8. I should have replaced the tables with plywood after I first got it from pressed particle board, that I did later.
Now things I got right for me, I didn't get a awning and didn't get carpet. A (non) Deluxe would have been better for cabinets in some ways but heavier. (fiberglass) Larger refrigerator in Deluxe too. Screen door worth while to get.
I relocated the heater control from its original location, added 12 volt outlets. LED lights in top cabinets on sides, thanks to another member here for (fridge door switch's)
Another good mod was guard around 12 v water pump switch. Change out most lights for LED lights, after having replacement LED bulbs burning out after few months of use. I've added a 120 and 12v outlet outside in refrigerator lower vent area. Something I should have done years ago upgrade the shower head nigh and day difference between original and it. 😊

If I was to install another car stereo I might install it above the refrigerator in top cabinet and should remount speakers in them.
Now on to life expectancy for some things. A few weeks ago the water heater has developed a leak, I didn't find it until I noticed wet carpet runner I have covering floor 😣 end result water damage to cabinets and cold showers until I can replace it. 😳😲 I will have to do a partial gutting and replace a lot of wood and to run a electric heater inside to dry it out.
I've heard that some won't cook anything but water inside of their RV, I'm not of that group. I don't cook fish inside but about anything else I want I do.
Tip for new owner with SeaLand toilet buy a spare water valve and keep it with the tools needed to replace it in RV. It will fail at the time your on a long trip and forgot to turn off the water pump running all your fresh water tank out and into toilet and shower 😒 and then no RV shop (many closed for holidays too) with in a hundred miles will have it....(December) in Florida back tracking to a RV store with it, then weather drops and heater quits working. Great trip though 😁. Stayed at Florida State Park.
End point no regrets on my Scamp, she's been used and well worn. Paid for and still in use. But time for repairs and maintenance. A few years I have about thought I was back in the great North Wet coast after having months on end of rain.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:41 PM   #2

Name: Diana
Trailer: Scamp
California
Darryl-

Thanks for such a thorough, helpful post! We're shopping now & this post really helped. Happy trails to you & thanks again!

Diana
Diana Woodland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 04:59 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
That is great information that will be of help to both new and prepective owners.

A few comments..

I believe the common belief is that the Deluxe is heavier, but I have never seen much evidence to support that. It does seem logical because the fiberglass cabinets are very light weight. I have concluded that the fiberglass (non-Deluxe) cabinets are the better choice because they clean up easier (except for the garbage wood doors).

I did not get the “gas heater” (furnace) but later added it. Its pretty safe and usually reliable, and repairs are not difficult for a good DIYer. A safe heater which uses propane and battery is very nice to have on a cold night when you are boon-docking), and that includes being at a place with shore power but which has a power outage (forced boon-docking).

On the other hand, the water heater is more trouble then it is worth (for me at least). I had one and removed it. But that was pre-COVID when I could usually find a bathhouse or public shower that I was comfortable using. I do have work-arounds for shower in the very small Scamp bathroom… a solar shower and a water heater in the shape of a stove top tea kettle.

As for the water pump switch.. I relocated it to the logical place.. under the sink. I also added a small LED that lights when the pump is on (you can also buy switches that have a light when on). And I only turn on the pump when I need water, so there is no chance of a leak emptying the tank.

A roof vent with fan is one of the best things you can have.. Fantastic Fan is not the only option (and might not be the best one).
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:31 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
check your air inlet/exhaust on your furnace for partial blockage, such as dirt dauber wasps.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:35 PM   #5

Name: Cathleen
Trailer: Scamp
Utah
Just a comment to Darrell in Alabama about living with a 16 ft Scamp for 10 years. Our 16 ft Deluxe is 25 years old, and she gets appreciative comments from other campers every time we take her out. Over the years we have replaced the original fridge and sink and added an awning and a roof mount fantastic fan. After a motor accident in California we replaced the rear bumper, struts, and jack, bought new tires, and had the trailer completely buffed out and cleaned at the Scamp factory. She also got new curtains and some other little decorative touches. Still great and still going strong!
treelama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:27 PM   #6

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
I bought my scamp was told the furnace had not worked in years. A friend of mine who is a heating and air conditioning guy told me to drop it at his place for a few days so he could look at it in his spare time. He found a bunch of problems. Pretty much all related to the fact that there was not a bug shield on the vent in and out. Including a mud dobber nest actually on the igniter. Cleaned it out and several years now of very trouble free use.

I do need to find a reasonably priced way to add a little heat to the tanks in the worse of the winter so the fuel will flow out of them.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp, vin