Loading generator on truck - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #21

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Actually, with a LOT of experience with AC's in Toyota Motorhomes, 9800 BTU roof ac's run fine with a Honda 2000 and a "Few" have gotten by using a hard-start kit on 13,500 AC's with a Honda 2000, but not all were sucessful. What you are up against is called "Locked Rotor Current" and is caused by the system being pressurized when restarting. Look up locked rotor current in the specs when looking for restart current requirements.

As far as lifting a 3000, look in Craigslist for a used wheelchair lift. They are usually rated to lift at least 300 lbs. and most use a nylon web belt rather than a cable for lifting.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #22
SRD

Name: s
Trailer: none
us
I understand a little better now but why does Dometic call for a 3.5kw generator?
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #23

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
The Honda generators are "Gensets" meaning generator/inverter type.
"Genset" just means "generator set", meaning a generator combined with an engine to drive it. Everything we call a "generator" in RV discussions is assumed to include the engine, and is really a genset... even the cheapest non-inverter fixed speed noismaker. The term was in common use before inverters existed; it does not imply the inclusion of an inverter.

I'm only talking about the meaning of the term "genset"... the Honda EU series are indeed generators (or gensets) which incorporate an inverter (no disagreement there).

Any modern generator (or genset) which can vary in engine speed (something Honda calls Eco mode) while still producing the standard 60 Hz AC power will be using an inverter to accomplish this.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:29 PM   #24

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Many of the Toyota motorhomes have a 2.8 kw gen set and it will strain if any other electrical are in use at the same time as a 13,500 BTU a/c. I am sure that the reason for the 3.5 spec is to allow for other electrical loads at the same time and not cause the a/c to pull down the generator

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
Old 09-25-2013, 05:28 AM   #26

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
I'm with you.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:35 AM   #27

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I'm with you.
For once I agree with Tom completely and I am not ashamed to admit it!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #28
SRD

us
My wife came up with a suggestion this morning that I have to admit is probably the best idea so far. Her idea was to get a platform lift. After hearing that I immediately thought of a motorcycle lift or something similar.

I stopped by Camping World this morning to check out the Honda EU3000is and was surprised to learn that some of the features that steered me in the direction of the Yamaha are now found on the Honda, namely a fuel level indicator and separate fuel shutoff valve. So, I may go the Honda route again.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #29

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
No generator, but I looked at this thread because if I load my Yeti cooler in the house, I can't lift it into the Jeep. So I load it after I put it in the Jeep. I like the ramp idea.
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #30
SRD

us
I came across this video demonstrating a remote start for one of the Yamaha generators. It shows the generator sitting on a scissor lift type stand. Might be a good solution to getting the generator lifted onto the bed of my pickup. Might also be handy for other work in the barn/shop. I can think of a few other uses for it.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #31
SRD

us
I think the answer to loading the generator has been staring me in the face all along. My wife carries me to bed at night after I fall asleep on the couch. The generator should be a walk in the park.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #32

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Its always the answer right in front of us that we seem to overlook?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #33

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
I'm about to buy another generator and was thinking of getting either the Honda EU3000is or Yamaha EF3000iSEB. Both are well over 100 lbs. and loading onto my pickup might be a challenge. While camping I intend to leave it on the truck but before and after trips is the problem. Any suggestions from those with a similar situation would be appreciated.

Also, I just sold my Honda EU2000is because it would not run the AC. Any suggestions on either of the above generators powering an AC? My Bigfoot 21RB has a 15,000 BTU AC I believe.
One relatively simple solution would be for you to build an elevated cart on wheels that is the same height as your truck tailgate. Set the generator on top of the cart, wheel the cart over to your truck, and roll the generator off the cart onto your truck bed. If you have an indoor shop at home, it would make it easy to store your generator there on the cart when it is not in your truck.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #34

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Options for the home garage

Dave's post finally triggered the light bulb to go on over my head... this loading requirement is only at home. That opens up all sorts of options for equipment (some already suggested) which would not be practical to take along on the trip, but might belong in a home garage.

A common shop crane (wheel-mounted, using a manual hydraulic cylinder) is normally used for tasks such as engine removal and installation, costs a couple hundred dollars, and could easily put the generator in and out of a truck backed into the garage.
Example

I have a chain hoist hanging from a ceiling beam, which I have used for engine swaps (instead of renting a shop crane, because I don't own one of those yet). It would be easy to lift the generator, back the truck under it, and lower the generator into the box (and the reverse upon return).
Example
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Dave's post finally triggered the light bulb to go on over my head... this loading requirement is only at home. That opens up all sorts of options for equipment (some already suggested) which would not be practical to take along on the trip, but might belong in a home garage.
This is what I have in my barn hanging from the rafters - less than $100 when I bought it on sale. I use it for all kinds of tasks like removing the mower from my tractor, lifting implements, etc.

Electric Hoist - 880 Lb. Capacity Electric Hoist

Old 09-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #36
SRD

us
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
This is what I have in my barn hanging from the rafters - less than $100 when I bought it on sale. I use it for all kinds of tasks like removing the mower from my tractor, lifting implements, etc.

Electric Hoist - 880 Lb. Capacity Electric Hoist

Now we're getting down to some serious noodlin'. I too have a barn and it wouldn't be too difficult to rig this to one of the overhead rafters. I like it. It would've been real helpful a couple of weeks ago when I had to remove the ROP from my tractor. As it was I ended having to rig a come-along to one of those very rafters. Come to think of it the ROP was about the same weight as the Honda 3000.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:47 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
........ I too have a barn and it wouldn't be too difficult to rig this to one of the overhead rafters. .......
I "sistered" beams on either side of one of the rafters that I attached this to so the beam is stronger than the capacity of the lift. It is extremely handy to load things. I even suspend 3 point attachments for the tractor and it is effortless to attach them while maneuvering the implement to line up with the pins.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #38

Name: Tom
Trailer: BIGFOOT 25 R.Q.
California
Hey , I also have a BIFOOT , a 25 rq. And also have a YAMAHA3000. I love em both. I made a ramp out 1/2 hardwood and a couple of big hinges that works great. I can load and unload my geny with ease by my self. Once I have the geny up on the pickup bed, its stays at the rear left side. The wheel locks along with the bed grooves keep it stable for travel. For when out camping, I just pull it out on the tail gate for better ventelation.I leave the ramp at home once its loaded. Works for me.
dustchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #39

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
I also have the Electric Hoist - 880 Lb. Capacity Electric Hoist in my metal building. I use it to hang and skin deer and I used it to load the fifth wheel hitch when I had my big three slide 35' 5er. Also use it to raise my riding mower in the front to take the blades off to sharpen (yes I use jack stands for safety). It works great. Now that I have the Scamp 5er and use the old style crossbar with the ball. I can load that without it.

Tags
generator