Loner or grouper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-29-2009, 07:30 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita
I go trailering with a group of retired teachers sometimes. Its a small group and we do some unique things and I enjoy the camaraderie. However I am not a group guy really. I am not even a "camper" when I think of it becasue I don't come anywhere close to "roughing" it. I like all the comfort and convenience I can muster. But I like it mostly alone. I like getting away from it all and at the same time being very comfortable. I think as Meyers Briggs showed that some people need other people to charge their inner battery. Then some people like me charge their battery by being utterly alone. There is something about "knowing" I am alone that makes me think differently, feel differently, and even read poetry differently. And besides I don't like to play my NA flute where anyone can hear LOL

Is there anyone else that likes being alone way way out in the boonies?
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:40 AM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Each season starts out for us with a number of group events. They are a hoot and we look forward to them. By August we are craving an alone trip. (alone in our case is two of us and our dog)

In 2008 we didn't get away alone until October. Until that trip I didn't actually feel like we had been camping.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:44 AM   #3

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
I'm a loner/grouper, OK with either, but my wife and I have established a yearly routine with me going off alone for three or four days, usually at the beginning of the season so it can also serve as a shake-down cruise.

It balances out, with roughly one fiberglass meet per year and the rest just the three of us (dog makes it so). Our recent 6-week trip was just fine, thank you.

Frankly, I like the solitude and freedom of being alone in the boonies, but I have my limits. The problem is that I have the time to think and plan my next moves and then I get anxious to carry them out. On the other hand the lack of any resemblance of schedule is great. My photo activities also benefit from having no one else to consider.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:49 AM   #4

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I guess you would say I am one of those 'loners'.. i like to go and get away from all the town hub bub..... just read, enjoy the surroundings of the beach, or where ever I go. ( which isnt far) but also enjoying talking to other campers..

I am looking fwd to the meet in June tho... and meeting alot of the people that are on here
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:56 AM   #5

Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel 1980

Dang, I thought I was the only one out there. I have been a loner for the last eight years (not counting Queen the dog) and prefer it that way. I am going to retire soon and plan to spend about six months a year on the road. As of right now my job is removing irons from the fire. I have a business to sell or close , way to many vehicles , and obligations to finish. Currently I have a motor home and the Quantum 5. I plan on putting them both up for sale and keep the one that does not sell. Either one works for me.
I enjoy being with other people but do not want the responsibility of providing entertainment. I have met many wonderful people while camping and plan to meet many more but when the camp fire goes out I am happy to go home alone. I have no desire to live in a cave in total isolation so its just going to be me and the Queen and all the new causal friends I make.

Ron
Ron Wrighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:29 AM   #6

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Well, Per ...its not too late to make reservations for our May meet 'North of 49' here in B.C.

The Trailer Goddess and myself like the 'camping', or rather GLAMPING (thanks Ron?) with others around. We don't like the group thing, where everyone goes/does the same thing together. We don't do 'solo camping' either, preferring to have others around us.
REALLY enjoy evening fireside chats with fellow campers
Attached Thumbnails
trailer5.jpg  
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:32 AM   #7

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I come from a backpacking background. However, not only did I backpack for many years, but many of my trips into the wild canyons of the West were solo.
I started going solo many years ago after reading Colin Fletchers "The Man Who Walked Through Time" where he debunks many of the myths we grow up with about safety in numbers. If you've never experienced solo backpacking into wild areas for weeks at a time I'd highly recommend it. Totally different experience then going with a group, and I prefer solo although both are fine.
Now being an egger with an eggette and two eggsters 8 and 5, I haven't gotten my solo egg excursion yet, but its coming.......
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:55 AM   #8

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via AIM to Robert Brummett Send a message via MSN to Robert Brummett Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Brummett
I guess I'd have to say I'm a loner, by choice. I like people but in manageable doses and usually the smaller the dose the better I like it. When people ask me where I live I say "About fifty miles past the Middle of Nowhere." That's not an exaggeration, as I live about 35 miles from the nearest settlement and it's pretty small.

I like the isolation, even the desolation, of where I live. I'm surrounded by an incredible array of wildlife and of course I have my dogs, so I am not really alone. The dogs are excellent company and never tell me that they have already heard that particular joke!
Robert Brummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:59 AM   #9

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
For me, I suppose it depends on the group. But usually, I'm a loner. The solo camping is the life for me (or the summer for me?) and though I prefer to camp in campgrounds that are decently populated (for safety reasons), I find that the presence of other campers doesn't disturb my loner status, even when people stop by to check out the Scamp. I can be as alone in a group as I am by myself and that suits me just fine.

Karen
Karen B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:37 PM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

I think we're loners..... We prefer camping by ourselves in the boonies.... A fg meet or two a year is enuff... (and then of course, "The Family Reunion"... ) for some reason, my cousins seem to congregate at our Scamp in the evening-- must be the campfire. (and my dazzling personality).
But, the most enjoyable is by ourselves, just sitting around, reading, trading jibes at each other, and enjoying an evening campfire.... Life is good....
Attached Thumbnails
SANY0351__Small_.JPG   SANY0389__Small_.JPG  

State_land_6.jpg   SANY0573__Small_.JPG  

SANY0605__Small_.JPG  
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:39 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
I think we're loners..... We prefer camping by ourselves in the boonies.... A fg meet or two a year is enuff... (and then of course, "The Family Reunion"... ) for some reason, my cousins seem to congregate at our Scamp in the evening-- must be the campfire. (and my dazzling personality).
But, the most enjoyable is by ourselves, just sitting around, reading, trading jibes at each other, and enjoying an evening campfire.... Life is good....
Umm I just re read what I wrote.
I never meant to imply that any of you were fat fish

My bad
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:53 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Ron, when I first read the title I was thinking of a dirty old man on a bus or subway... a groper
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:49 PM   #13

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I think, as Myers Briggs showed, that some people need other people to charge their inner battery. Then some people like me charge their battery by being utterly alone.
Thank you for mentioning Myers and Briggs.
I too, charge my psychological batteries alone. But I also charge them up in groups.
My job is a juxtaposition of being in the middle of things while being utterly alone.
I work in a major metropolitan area all by myself. I'm not a member of a "team* at work."

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scaleman_Cartoon.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	17698

Sometimes, I just have to get out of the city.
But I also love to socialize in groups with other trailerites.
([b]*But, I am a Moderator, a fantastic team here!)
Old 01-29-2009, 09:16 PM   #14

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I like to be in my own camper at night by myself to relax and sleep, but still want to camp with others around that I know. I want fellowship, time around the campfire and relaxation, chatting with others.
I have never camped alone by myself at any campground and can not see myself doing it. I want to go with someone, but do prefer they have their own camper so we have our space. I guess I am not a loner. I like company. at my camper anytime.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:34 PM   #15

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
I'm obviously the odd-woman out! I am a people person and recharge my batteries by being in groups! I've been camping by myself (with the dog), but I find it to be a bit lonely, especially in the evening. I'm fine just going with my son, but I really enjoy it when several RV's/Tents or more go together. I love group campouts and rallys! I have two group campouts and one rally on the calendar between President's Weekend (Ladies Only Egg Get-Together at Madonna County Park in CA) and Mother's Day (San Antonio Lake Rally-CA) and a third group one in the making. Four in three months--not bad! No plans yet for June--anyone got any ideas???? Oh wait, you're all loners, you're not the ones to ask!
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:45 AM   #16

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I am with Karalyn and Lisa, I like camping with others. I just like the whole groupee/grouper thing. We camped a lot when I was young, like every weekend durning the spring, summer and fall with a few times thru out the winter. Always with loads of family and friends. Dh and I camp pretty much the same way. Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:04 AM   #17

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
I like to be in my own camper at night by myself to relax and sleep, but still want to camp with others around that I know.
That reminds me of when I used to do a lot of kayaking, and one thing I loved about it. My own boat, to paddle as I saw fit, and yet also a group of like-minded friends alongside in their own boats. We tended to camp the same way (the rivers were remote); in a group, but of small/single tents and such.

I found that very enjoyable. If I need to choose between one extreme or another, I'll probably go "loner," but the above scenario was really fun.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:21 AM   #18

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
My wife calls me a people person and I guess I am but I know what I like and do not like.
There are parties I HATE to go to because I know the people who will be there and when I go I can not wait to go home.
The wife and I do not drink, and some people even though they're adults act like kids when they get a few drinks in them and that is anoying.
As far as camping I like going with just one other party.
It makes for some conversation and a few laughs.
The wife is a total loner.
She like to be able to eat, or sleep of just do nothing when she wants to and not be disturbed.
Maybe it is all job related.
She deals with the public every day in high stress situations.
I don't so I have a different outlook at the public
Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:55 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Quote:
My wife calls me a people person and I guess I am but I know what I like and do not like.
There are parties I HATE to go to because I know the people who will be there and when I go I can not wait to go home.
The wife and I do not drink, and some people even though they're adults act like kids when they get a few drinks in them and that is anoying.
As far as camping I like going with just one other party.
It makes for some conversation and a few laughs.
The wife is a total loner.
She like to be able to eat, or sleep of just do nothing when she wants to and not be disturbed.
Maybe it is all job related.
She deals with the public every day in high stress situations.
I don't so I have a different outlook at the public
Gerry

Wooh.....!!!! I know what you mean. Sounds like my wife and I. My name is also Jerry.
Jerry Cranford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:43 AM   #20

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Quote:
I go trailering with a group of retired teachers sometimes....
I'm not going to intimate if I'm a "loner" or a "grouper" but on another matter you reminded me of what I had heard about Teachers...

I heard they make great lovers... they make you do it over until you get it right...

ConwayBob