Long evening - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Long evening

If you're in your egg some place where it's chilly at night and gets dark at 6 pm, we all know that RV dinettes are torture devices if you're it one for longer than it takes to eat, what do you sit in/on inside that fits the space and is comfortable?
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
On our 3 week outing last month with our 13' Uhaul we did not use the dinette. We left the bed made up in the rear, the front is a "couch", and we had room enough to set up a coleman camp chair in front of the door. TV set up on a cutting board on the sink. What we also have that was well worth the money is a Eureka Northern Breeze screenroom. It is square, and has flaps that roll down to enclose it and they can also be used as awnings but it only comes with 3 poles. When it's cool we put the flaps down and heat it with a Mr Heater Buddy propane heater. Very comfortable!! In a small camper, being comfortable is much different than being comfortable at home.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I bring in a comfortable lawn chair to sit in.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #4

Trailer: Aliner
We sit on the dinette seats just long enough to eat.

To get comfortable reading, surfing, or whatever, we swing our legs up into the beds and prop pillows under our knees and behind our backs.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:06 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Wink Fortune Cookie fortunes are better when you add "in Bed" to the end

The Fiber Stream has a King Size bed, which doesn't leave any room for a Dinette, comfortable or otherwise. We now have double layers of cushions with a second Fiber Stream set taken from another trailer, the bottom layer firm, and the top layer soft. We decided to take our cue from Hugh Heffner, and do everything in bed. We use 600 thread count sheets, many pillows as a backrest, and bed-trays to eat off and hold the laptop computers, etc...

During the day we'll be on top of the Comforter/Duvet. Shoes come off at the door.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
^ What Fred and Sharon said. It's how we live at home too.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:07 AM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
With my Trillium, which did not have the bunk, I bought a cushion at Walmart that had a well padded back and padded arms; it is like a chair without a seat. I put this against a wall on the couch and voila... a comfortable recliner. I don't watch TV while camping but just turned on the overhead light for reading.
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:20 AM   #8

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
we placed one of those white tables, with the u-shaped metal support legs and multi-position tabletops, under the cushions at the foot-end of the bed, angled to fit into the corner. it stays there all the time. i can flip up the table top when making the bed, if necessary, and that is where our laptop and speakers sit. we prop ourselves up with extra pillows and do our movie watching on the laptop from the comfort of the bed. very comfy!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
If you're in your egg some place where it's chilly at night and gets dark at 6 pm, we all know that RV dinettes are torture devices if you're it one for longer than it takes to eat, what do you sit in/on inside that fits the space and is comfortable?
We converted our dinette to a wraparound couch, the center section is adjustable and both the snack table and the dinette tables are adjustable and stowable.
Look here...
Attached Thumbnails
scamp pictures 013.jpg   Pic011.JPG  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
^ What Fred and Sharon said. It's how we live at home too.
Add me to the list - bed stayed down on my trip last month (30 days) when it got dark and chilly early - lots of extra throw pillows to put behind my back when reading or watching movies - TV mounted under back over head bin - a TV tray with short legs if needed - a large cutting board for putting on the bed to play card or board games - a nice fluffy throw blanket .... very comfortable.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #11

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
My Trillium has rather large seats on the dinette, and a table that has a leaf that when removed turns the table into cocktail table. Put a cushion against the back of the trailer and swing the feet up, put a beer on the table for me and a wobbly pop for my wife, I'm comfortable. No TV, (yet) but that is in the van, along with the kids. Reverse accommodations at night, (kids in the trailer).
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #12

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I like the Dinette in my Casita Freedom?

What on Earth is a "Wobbly Pop"?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #13

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Thanks for the replies. Our dinette is very small. We have a full time bed so no couch. With my friend Arthur Itis I can't sit on the bed and lean against the wall though my wife can and does. We put our two chairs in that store in those tube shaped bags but they had arms and were big enough that one is too close to the heater. We have one of those easy up canopies but no attachable walls. I guess i could get some. We do have a cat heater. Maybe some smaller chairs might work. We'll figure out something when we get back home, store our Kodiak, and break out the Egg Camper. I have a real itch to use it again and my wife wants to just "go camping" for the first time in years. She has named it "Easter Egg" because we got it last spring around that time. Hoping to meet some of you at one (or more) gatherings. Particularly eager for the one at Camp Hale.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #14

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
What on Earth is a "Wobbly Pop"?
A sugary carbonated alcoholic beverage. My wife likes Smirnoff black cherry Ice.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Actually it covers beer as well..

From Urban Dictionary:

"wobbly pop:
any bottled alcoholic beverage that knocks you on your ass."

Suspect this is one of those often heard Canadian terms that few Americans understand as it is said to have originated in Newfoundland
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #16

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I can't tell if this is about a chilly seat or an uncomfortable seat in a chilly place but anyway, we have boat seats bolted to the lockers in the front dinette. There are cushions for seat and back. They are very comfortable and there is a sweet little table lamp on the permanent table. For warmth, we have this fuel that comes in a big white bottle on the tongue. Surprised y'all ain't heard of it.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:34 AM   #17

Trailer: Aliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
I can't tell if this is about a chilly seat or an uncomfortable seat in a chilly place but anyway, we have boat seats bolted to the lockers in the front dinette. There are cushions for seat and back. They are very comfortable and there is a sweet little table lamp on the permanent table. For warmth, we have this fuel that comes in a big white bottle on the tongue. Surprised y'all ain't heard of it.

jack
Rabbit, will you please post a link to where you bought your boat seats. I really want to replace my uncomfortable dinette cushions.

Yeah, I like that big white bottle of heat-producing stuff on the tongue, too!
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #18

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
yuck, yuck jack! no fire at night because it's too chilly----temps probably 0C or so.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #19

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
In the evenings I'm usually sitting on some horribly uncomfortable chair in the campground laundry room to catch the wifi because it probably isn't adequate at the camp site, and I'm trying to upload a handful of whatever photos I got that day.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #20

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...Gotta great video for my BD. It's called Holiday Fireplace www.e1films.com Choose the music choose the mood and swivel the TV up to your feet to keep warm.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote