Long trips: plans vs. spontaneous? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-02-2012, 05:57 AM   #41

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
KOA will always fit you in, whether full or not, might be a tent site but you will have use of their facilities.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #42

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
KOA will always fit you in...
I use KOAs frequently for overnight stops when I want full hook-ups and Wifi. I once planned a trip when I wanted only a single night stop-over on a Saturday which happened to be the 4th of July. That particular KOA's website required a 3-night minimum stay for reservations during any part of the 4th of July weekend. Instead of making reservations, I called them from my cell phone as we were driving about an hour or so before arrival. Since I only wanted a 1 night stay, they had no problem accommodating me on such short notice.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #43

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
I like to do a combination of some planning and some spontaneous adventuring. For example, we just got back from an 11 day trip on the Selkirk Loop, a scenic route through WA, ID and BC. I did some research online ahead of time identifying things to do and places we might like to see. I also checked the RV Park Reviews website looking for likely RV parks to use. We used a combination of State and Provincial parks as well as some commercial RV parks. We made no reservations and only had one time where we almost didn't get a spot. Like many here we tend to not put in really long days unless we have to and if we find some place we think is cool we stay on as long as we want to unless we have some other time constraints.

I agree that you should make reservations if you're going to some really popular location during peak seasons. Another time to make reservations is if you have a favorite park and a favorite campsite in that park. Then you may need a reservation or someone else will get it.

I will admit to getting a little stressed sometimes near the end of a day not knowing where we might end up, but things have usually worked out OK and although we've found ourselves in some rather sketchy places a few times, only once did we up and move on because we felt it was dangerous.

It's easier to be spontaneous when you're retired and I understand that working folks and especially those with children need to plan their vacations more carefully. Even then I think it would pay to factor in some spontaneous time as that's when you'll have the most fun.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:23 AM   #44

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We generally don't make reservations except for exceptional visits during the season. like Yellowstone. In 11 years, some 2500 camping nites, we've only had one time where finding a place to camp was difficult. We were in virtually no where FL to visit relatives, made 4 calls and were told they were full each time. Go figure.

Regardless the point is that virtually all the time you can find a place to camp along your route, particularly for a night and/or during the week. It is also true that we are very often off the beaten path.

Sometimes we look ahead before we leave, other times Ginny does it as we drive. I think this will become even easier with our new smart phones where Ginny will be able to conveniently use the Internet as we drive.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #45
Commercial Member

Name: Rob
Trailer: Casita
Kansas
Registry
My favorite way to travel is unplanned trips without the stress of being at a particular place at a particular time. I rarely use camping areas with reservations for that reason. I like to take off on trips with a notional idea of where I want to go. Having a completely self contained small fiberglass trailer is a great enabler for stress free traveling.

“The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for.”
-Louis L'Amour
Old 10-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #46

Name: Imogene
Trailer: 2013 Casita
Missouri
Back in the mid-80's when I decided to move from Maine back to New Mexico, I spent 365 days traveling around the US and Canada....covered over 25,000 miles in a Toyota Sunrader....the whole trip was pretty spontanous including the idea of moving from Maine. Of course, I was much younger and there were not as many people traveling. I'm glad I did the trip and took the time out of my professional life to "go for it". Right now my trips seem to be more planed as my life revolves around farm activities and seasonal needs. One of these days will sell the livestock, the 80 acres, and hopefully "go for it again"....it's back on my bucket list.
Imo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #47

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We generally don't make reservations except for exceptional visits during the season. like Yellowstone. In 11 years, some 2500 camping nites, we've only had one time where finding a place to camp was difficult. We were in virtually no where FL to visit relatives, made 4 calls and were told they were full each time. Go figure.

Regardless the point is that virtually all the time you can find a place to camp along your route, particularly for a night and/or during the week. It is also true that we are very often off the beaten path.

Sometimes we look ahead before we leave, other times Ginny does it as we drive. I think this will become even easier with our new smart phones where Ginny will be able to conveniently use the Internet as we drive.
I recently downloaded an android app called Allstays and it does a good job of finding campgrounds while on the road. But you do need an internet connection. I forget exactly but I think it was about $5 or $6.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote