longest distance with your fiberglass camper - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-10-2019, 06:11 AM   #21

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
GoogleMaps won't give me a figure, but in June 2017 we drove from Lake Placid FL to L'Anse aux Meadows, Newfoundland Canada, and back. We were gone a month. Used ferries to cross several bodies of water. Did not have time to see everything I wanted to see. Would have loved to have 2 or 3 months instead of one. We had a flat and had to have a brake fixed way up and replaced way back. After getting back from NC this past week we had discovered the axle is bent near the wheel on the side that brake keeps going bad.
I have a cyber acquaintance in Oregon and a cousin, both of whom have invited me to visit sometime. I have a cousin in Thunder Bay Ontario I would like to visit. In 2018 we spent an overnight in Montreal before I finally admitted I was too sick to do the tourist thing. After repeated hospitalizations doing better now and planning another trip to Canada- if we get the axle fixed.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:35 AM   #22

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Patagonia to Alaska

Talk about a long trip! A high school buddy took these pictures a couple weeks ago. The guy was traveling from Patagonia to Alaska. Nice looking tow vehicle. He said it sound nice A real rat mobile. Some where around 20,000 KM one way.
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail1.jpg   thumbnail2.jpg  

Old 03-10-2019, 10:45 AM   #23

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Patagonia to Alaska

I did a bit of research. He has a facebook page and many photos on google search.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:29 AM   #24

Name: T
Trailer: Designing and building
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
The main thing is don't overestimate how long it'll take to get to various points on your trip. If googlemaps says it'll be 5 hours, I add probably 2 hours to that route.
Excellent advice!

I have found that Google Maps is an excellent point-to-point planning tool, and that my Garmin nüvi GPS gives accurate arrival times, allowing for gas stops and my "economical" choice of right-lane speed.

When transiting solo I typically aim for 12-13 hours total per day, so I use Google to set up 9-11 hour segments.

I'd love to see a feature in Google Maps that would allow me to set a "max speed", so Interstate legs would be calculated at 60mph.
Thomcat316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:48 AM   #25

Name: T
Trailer: Designing and building
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWelch View Post
...from one corner of the US to another...
If you're going along the E/SE-NW diagonal in the US, make sure one of your tracks is approximately along I-90; everything interesting is on that route! :-)

Things of note:
Minuteman Missile Museum
Badlands
Wall, SD
Badlands Petrified Gardens
Crazy Horse and Rushmore
Bighorn and Bitterroot ranges
The route of the Missoula Glacial Lake floods
Thomcat316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:25 PM   #26

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
The advice I can give after 14 years of 13' Scamp traveling (longest about 3 months and a minimum of one month) is, to travel, one nighters are NOT to be paid. Lots of free options. Make stops along the way as you see fit. No schedule that needs to be followed which allows for easier stopping along the way. When stopped for more than a night ask where others stay, some real gems can be found that way. Mostly take it easy and don't worry, keep trailer tires fully inflated and relax.

One more thing my longest trip was about 10K miles.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:59 PM   #27

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
The majority of our travel nights are free as well, Walmart or Cracker Barrel. Our destination nights are all at Campground’s private or public. Note some towns and states are very restrictive on overnight camping. Check with Walmart or whoever first.

We tend to cover more miles per day, then once every five days or so we spend two days at a location to recharge. Those two night stops will be at campgrounds.

Early in the year daylight is shorter. Makes a big difference as I prefer to not travel after dark. Meanwhile summer days tend to be much longer (the day length is the same it’s the hours of daylight that are longer).
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote