Looked at a Nest - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2018, 05:37 PM   #1

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Looked at a Nest

We went to an Airstream dealership and looked at their lineup, including the new Nest. I realized that It could not meet our needs for a trailer. The model that has a full time bed, has no counter space for food prep; and the other one you have to take down the table to make the bed each night. I’m thinking that as long as I can climb into the bunk, we’ll be camping in our Scamp.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:43 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis mn View Post
We went to an Airstream dealership and looked at their lineup, including the new Nest. I realized that It could not meet our needs for a trailer. The model that has a full time bed, has no counter space for food prep; and the other one you have to take down the table to make the bed each night. I’m thinking that as long as I can climb into the bunk, we’ll be camping in our Scamp.
The concept design of the Nest by the original designer is a much better layout than the one they came up with at Airstream. It had lots of counterspace because the dining was done sitting on tall stools at a long countertop.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:20 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I see Airstream's Nest as a "weekending" design, not really intended for long-term or full-time use. As someone who takes beds up and down daily in our Scamp, I can say that with practice it can be done with a minimum of fuss. I do understand it might get old after a week or two on the road.

Not that it couldn't be used for longer trips- people have done with less, but it entails some sacrifices. No counter space in the permanent bed layout... The Casita 17SD- possibly the single most popular molded model- has less. People make it work.

The side-facing dining bar was very polarizing in discussions of the prototype. Some loved it; others hated it. Less storage than the Airstream versions, which they must have decided was important to their customers. A dinette where you stare at your dirty kitchen across the aisle... not so nice!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:19 PM   #4

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita SD
North Carolina
The tanks and black drain connection has about 5 inches of ground clearance. A high speed bump could cause problems. It is differently not made to take off-road. You may need a stool to use the toilet. It seemed very high.
Lee in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:25 PM   #5

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
TN
Registry
I looked at one and it felt much tighter at the entrance. I just don't care for the back door enterance. It seems like Airstream is trying to change the camper floor plan even on their regular line they all have front bed rooms and rear doors so you are sleeping street side. I don't get it and am not a fan.
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:54 PM   #6

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
I see the benefits of the Nest a bit differently. It's modern design and high end materials might make some other manufacturers up their game. I think whenever there are more choices, it's good for the consumer.

The Nest couldn't work for us for a number of reasons, but I can still admire the style.

Having said all that, I do like Robert Johans' original frameless design better. Ingenious.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:48 AM   #7

Name: Shane
Trailer: Coleman
NY
I thought they ripped off lil snoozys design. I looked at a nest and wasn't impressed at all. The lil snoozy has a much better layout.
Goldwing ny27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:57 AM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
I see the benefits of the Nest a bit differently. It's modern design and high end materials might make some other manufacturers up their game...
Sure hope Scamp doesn't get that memo. It's the only one left that fits my budget and no-frills camping style.

As you say, choices are good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwing ny27 View Post
I thought they ripped off lil snoozys design. I looked at a nest and wasn't impressed at all. The lil snoozy has a much better layout.
...in the time-honored sense that Scamp and Casita "ripped off" Boler, Escape is based on Trillium, Parkliner copied (and improved) the side dinette layouts of Scamp and Casita... Lil Snoozy itself derives from the old rear-entry designs like Hunter.

Design is evolutionary for the most part.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:15 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
There are only so many ways to arrange the components of a camper... what may seem like "ripping off" is more like convergent evolution. They are similar because they have to be, given the space limitations. What's left is mostly differences in construction and materials.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:12 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My local RV tech is knowledgeable on Escape and told me it was based on Surf Side.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:25 AM   #11

Arizona
Registry
Surfside appears to be derived from Trillium, but with conventional wood cabinetry. That's probably why he said that. They're all kin.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:58 AM   #12

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
We call our Amerigo our "two bedroom unit" because with the privacy curtains, Paul has his own little room. I took a nap in there with the curtains (two beach towels from the 80s) shut, and it was surprisingly airy and private. I can see why he is so ready at night to get his room closed up!

I don't know how we'd manage with any other configuration now.

Kai
Old 08-22-2018, 10:03 AM   #13

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
I'm stuck at home with a bad cold so was reading stuff on the web. I went to an Airstream forum and was reading the Nest thread. They talked about screws falling out on the way home, windows leaking, steps falling off. One poster had holes and cracks in the fiberglass. Airstream ended up getting them another new Nest.

For a similar price, I think they could have bought an Oliver?
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:08 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler
Registry
I don't really care much for the rear door campers.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:46 PM   #15

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwing ny27 View Post

They took the Lil Snoozy design , shrunk it, gave it a smaller door, made it a little fancier and raised the price by around 20,000. What could go wrong? I don’t think LS has a patent on the design as others have had a similar layout.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:08 PM   #16

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Arthurs View Post
I don't really care much for the rear door campers.
One advantage of them is the doors are nice and flat. Have seen way too many postings of the struggles people have with doors on the curved that don,t make a proper tight seal and all the hinge sagging issues. A flat door can have a wider hinge, There is not as much stress on the hinges.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:41 PM   #17

Name: Shelby
Tennessee
Just idle curiosity, but does anyone know what became of Mr Johans? I see he's not been here in over a year. I assume Airstream paid him for his idea, did he get a job as well? His restorations looked very nice!
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:05 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
One advantage of them is the doors are nice and flat. Have seen way too many postings of the struggles people have with doors on the curved that don,t make a proper tight seal and all the hinge sagging issues. A flat door can have a wider hinge, There is not as much stress on the hinges.
Another advantage is maximizing the use of space in an interior layout by eliminating a corner or two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
Just idle curiosity, but does anyone know what became of Mr Johans? I see he's not been here in over a year. I assume Airstream paid him for his idea, did he get a job as well? His restorations looked very nice!
Robert was brought on by Airstream as a consultant after they bought him out. I recently did an interview with the Airstream research team as they are looking for input for their next model in this moulded fibreglass line, and Robert had referred them to me.

He certainly did some great rebuilds, didn't he.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:09 PM   #19

Name: Shelby
Tennessee
Good to hear, thanks!
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 09:20 AM   #20

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
I look at resale values when I purchase most things, vehicles, RV's, and homes. My personal thought is the Nest with a retail list value set at $45,000 and selling on dealers lots for around $39,000 the resale is going to be much lower. I just don't see the Nest have that great resale value in the used market, I would venture to say in the $25,000 range and that's the high side. Nest are going to be sold to first time RV's and probably in the 30-40 age range, 1-2 small kids, and both husband and wife working. It will be being pulled by the family SUV, Tahoe, Land Rover, something in the $60-$70 dollar range. How do I know this, my daughter and family went to the RV show and told me how well they liked the Airstream Nest.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote