Looked at two Cortes 17' units today - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2022, 04:54 PM   #1

Name: Shannon
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Texas
Registry
Looked at two Cortes 17' units today

They are Casita sized at 17', but the bulkhead doesn't come in quite so far so there feels like more headroom.

They are very boat-like with marine fixtures and finishes. Most of the touches are nice, and the appliances are very good. There is no mouse fur on the main interior surfaces, and the windows are all European openers with dual shade/screens.

The front bath is not Oliver sized. I could shower in there at 5'6". There is not a door, and it is angled in the space. It's an interesting setup.

The dealer says Cortes wants to compete with Olivers. They aren't quite there yet, IMO, and $48k is a lot for this rig when we can get a brand new Casita from the factory up the road for quite a lot less.
Attached Thumbnails
20221112_124609.jpg   20221112_124311.jpg  

20221112_124456.jpg   20221112_124518.jpg  

20221112_131657.jpg   20221112_131651.jpg  

Trailduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 07:02 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
High end fixtures, with no bath door doesn't quite do it for me. I don't think Oliver or Casita have a thing to worry about.
Jimmy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 08:03 AM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
So, with windows that open like the one in the picture, how do you keep all the flying critters out? That in itself would be a deal breaker...
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 09:18 AM   #4

Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy J View Post
High end fixtures, with no bath door doesn't quite do it for me. I don't think Oliver or Casita have a thing to worry about.
It would be fine for me, as I am usually camping alone and prop the bathroom door open for ventilation anyway. I get why it wouldn't be for everyone. There are no seams, so it does look like any water that escaped the shower curtain would not cause any structural issues. If you parked just right you could probably drain it out the front door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
So, with windows that open like the one in the picture, how do you keep all the flying critters out? That in itself would be a deal breaker...
The screen / blind is there, I just didn't have it up when I took that picture. You can split it to operate the window, pull it down for full shades, or push it up for full screen.

It's got a lot of windows, and the front door is fully screened, so you could get a lot of cross ventilation. I like the "Euro windows" because they're dual pane and very light. But they're acrylic and I'm scared of scratching them like the old van bubble windows.

Things I remembered - it has tank heaters and dual pane windows, and it is being marketed as four season capable. I did find the water pump appears to be in an uninsulated area by the wheel well. The Timbren axle allows bigger wheel & tire (15s) with a lower ride height. It carries a single step.

The single dinette is really neat to me, because I could leave the bed set up and still have breakfast, but again I get why that wouldn't work for a lot of people. These two didn't have awnings, so you'd have to work out an outdoor cover solution.
Old 11-13-2022, 10:17 AM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: Casita Liberty Deluxe
LA
bathroom vent

I would assume they also quit installing the bathroom overhead vent when they removed bathroom door and window that was on the earlier models.
You can see them in this photo, but aren't visible in the newer models.
I could live with removing one or the other, but not both.
Attached Thumbnails
2022alumwindow.jpg   630e4ccefe275d1cdb560384.jpg  

daveandalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 10:25 AM   #6

Name: Michelle
Trailer: Casita
Washington
That floor is what gets me. It's white, which means your Vibram soled hiking boots are going to mark it permanently. ALso, it has that bumpy texture, like the liners you put in a cupboard to keep things from sliding around. You are NEVER going to get all the dirt from around them.
I get why they use white...it makes the interior look bigger, but white flooring...especially that texture..is a no go for me. And it will be cold. Guaranteed.

Is there a black water tank? I don't see one. If it's the style where you have to remove a box full of uh uh in order to dump it..there's all sorts of issues with that.

The bathroom looks cramped as heck, I can just imagine a 6"2 man trying to shave at that teeny sink, never mind shower.
Doors add more than privacy to the bathroom, they keep water IN. This doesn't even look like it has a partition between the bathroom and the main cabin. And now I guess I understand the manufacturer putting in the plastic flooring. You're going to have water from one end of the camper to the other. Allowing it to drain out the door is just nuts.
So..add water draining from the shower to the dirt on the floor and you have voil `a: mud.

The hot water heater looks like an 'on demand' heater and I've never had any luck with those things.
The galley sink looks too small and there's not a bit of counter space.

If it's what you want, go for it. But that price and the weird features definitely turn me off. You get better design features in a popup.

It's cute, I suppose, maybe it's the lovely shade of blue on the exterior, but..as one poster said, Casita and Oliver have no need to worry about the Cortes.
Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 10:50 AM   #7

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
With no rivet caps.....I bet waxing would be easier. Price is high......does it come in yellow or green?
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 11:08 AM   #8

Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandalice View Post
I would assume they also quit installing the bathroom overhead vent when they removed bathroom door and window that was on the earlier models.
You can see them in this photo, but aren't visible in the newer models.
No window, and I don't recall a vent. The fan is between the stove and bath, so I guess it is meant to cover both duties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadowlark View Post
Is there a black water tank? I don't see one. If it's the style where you have to remove a box full of uh uh in order to dump it..there's all sorts of issues with that.
Yes, three tanks with standard 3" dump valves.

Fresh Water 42 Gallon
Grey Water 32 Gallon
Black Water 16 Gallon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadowlark View Post
The galley sink looks too small and there's not a bit of counter space.
It's deep, but only a single sink. The exotic wood cover is meant to act as a work surface. I don't know how that would actually play out. My primary frame of reference is camping by myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybob View Post
With no rivet caps.....I bet waxing would be easier. Price is high......does it come in yellow or green?
I've seen red, teal, and metallic on the internet. I don't know if ordering custom colors is possible or not.
Old 11-13-2022, 12:23 PM   #9

Name: David
Trailer: Casita Liberty Deluxe
LA
The earlier versions had the cheap point of use water heater in the closet, the latest ones have the new Suburban mounted under the sink with the wall mount control/display, no more wondering if the water heater is off or on.

I have first hand experience with those floors, they are impossible to keep clean unless you use a pressure washer and you have to make sure you wear "non-marking" shoes or you will have marks everywhere.

The interior is simply too "offshore fishing boat" looking.

The black and grey discharges are similar to the Casita.

They have some additional color choices posted now.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 11-13-22 at 12.04 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 11-13-22 at 12.07 PM.jpg  

Screen Shot 11-13-22 at 12.09 PM.jpg  
daveandalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 01:16 PM   #10

Name: Robin
Trailer: 2013 16ft Scamp
California
“Doors add more than privacy to the bathroom, they keep water IN”,

Not to mention odors…and no window or fan in BR?

Also, Besides the double paned Acrylic windows which are likely to scratch, what makes it Four Season? I guess I assumed it was a double hulled fiberglass frame like the Olivers but I don’t see mention of that.
Campingbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 10:02 AM   #11

Name: Michelle
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Jerrybob. Jerrybob. Don't make me come out there to slap some sense up your head. ;-) You have a great Casita that you've worked all the kinks out of. You don't need to buy a whole new set of problems. ;-) Besides, your doggos will NOT like that Cortes floor.
Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 11:23 AM   #12

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Sorry Meadowlark......you're right......gonna stick with our Casita.....love that little trailer......you're welcome to come out anytime......just don't slap me.....I am very sensitive! LOL!!!!
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 03:12 PM   #13

Name: Shangie
Trailer: Northwood Nash 22/1977 Trillium 4500
Washington
Very boat like! We are creating a modified u shape dining bed situation in our Trillium 4500 so we have a little more than half a bed for day napping for one while retaining a full time table for two during the day that drops down to make the platform for the bed. The dinette we have in the front, which we really thought we wanted is being converted to a couch to provide porta potty area underneath on a slide out unit. This also will allow for a generous reading couch and extra bed. Am making a sliding curtain privacy across the back dinette/bed area so the porta potty can be used in privacy. It's fun to figure out best interior design by imaging how you will actually use your trailer versus how the manufacturers think you would. Hubs and I walk through the motions in our mind and then apply to those the real space to help develop design. We've done this with our home remodels and it really helps.
Shangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 09:45 AM   #14

Texas
Registry
The bathroom door is going into production for the 2023 models, along with a higher price. It sounds like they have contracts on a bunch of 2022 models still, so no word on when they'll make the switch and start on the 2023s.