Looking at a 13' Scamp tomorrow - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2007, 11:27 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Kristen Beck Send a message via Yahoo to Kristen Beck
Hi everyone,
I have some questions. My husband and I are looking to buy our first scamp tomorrow. It is at a trailer place in Salem, Oregon. It is a 13' Standard scamp with an awning, the usual goodies inside, sink stove, fridge, bunks up front dinette in the back. It does have an electric hitch so no cranking it into place. It is a 2005 so it 's fairly new and from the pictures sent is in very good condition. They are asking 8950.00, i'm not sure if this is a good price, it sounds good considering there is a trahsed 13' in medford for almost 5000.00. I called scamp and they quoted a new one at 9500. plus 1500 shipping. I guess it depends on how bad we want it as to whether it's a good price but I would love some feedback. I'm new at this buying business so any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kris Beck
Kristen Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:32 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I guess it depends on how bad we want it as to whether it's a good price
I think you answered your own question.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:39 AM   #3

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

Don't forget that the dealer probably has the price jacked up a bit so that he can appear to be a nice guy when he birngs the price down. Hand him a check for $8500 or so and see what he has to say. The worst he can do is refuse.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:40 AM   #4

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Hi Kris,

If this rig checks out to be in excellent condition and you plan to keep it for a few years I would go for it. Maybe you would have trouble getting your money back if you had to sell it soon. If the colors just don't do it for you, or the unit is not desirable, hold on to your money and get what you want later. If money is a problem keep saving and watching for older units. Nothing would bother me more than paying interest, whenever not using the thing I would see dollar bills flying away.

The price sounds good to me. Hope others reply.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:58 PM   #5

Registry
thanks everyone for very valued input on scamp pricing. They are so hard to come by when they are so new, so I think it's a good price too but just wanted my thoughts confirmed. I really appreciate your views being that you are veterans of the Fiberglass world and I certainly am not. Much appreciated and wish us luck

Kris Beck
fiberget' egg fan
Old 04-06-2007, 01:06 PM   #6

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
There was a 2005 in Sacramento that they were asking 8990 for, so I think the price is realistic, at least for this area.

Good luck!

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: When we purchased our '77 Boler the seller was asking $3900 CDN. and we paid $3100. CDN. I thought it was a lot but after seeing some others we got a deal
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:15 PM   #8

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
i dont think that is a bad price.. but like Bob said hand them a check for $8500 and see what they say! Have you seen the trailer yet?? Geeze... if its not to far from where ya live i would be scooting up there to put a deposit on it..... Scamps are here today and gone tomarrow in the PNW!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:43 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Hi: When we purchased our '77 Boler the seller was asking $3900 CDN. and we paid $3100. CDN. I thought it was a lot but after seeing some others we got a deal
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie

Hi alf,
Already put the deposit on it 3 days ago. I got a call from the sales person and he said I see you put a deposit down, I said yes, doug (the finance guy) said it would be a good idea since we couldnt' get up to salem until saturday. Rod said "good thing you did, there is a back up deposit in case you decide not to get it" I wasn't going to put a deposit down but doug talked me into it, sure am glad he did. I would have been kicking myself if I lost out on it over 200 clams. I'm so excited I have renamed saturday "scamperday". Thank you for confirming my thoughts on a decent price and I do think I will ask a little less, probably won't go for it since they already have someone else waiting for it, but it's always worth a shot! thanks again Hope to meet everyone at the get togethers,

Kris & Neal Beck
Medford, Oregon
Old 04-06-2007, 03:37 PM   #10

Registry
If you get it, it will be an Easter Egg!

Bobbie
Old 04-06-2007, 09:45 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
If you get it, it will be an Easter Egg!
Bobbie

Bobbie that is hilarious ! I am so giddie about seeing it, i'm like a kid on easter morning looking for my easter eggs! I've already come up with some little names for her:
Fiberget' Egg
Rest Egg
my boss likes D.I.N.K.'s Egg( double income no kids), My nephews think it is the cutes thing they have ever seen. The one nephew was in hysterics when he saw the "bathroom" under the front bunk. I said keep laughing little boy, that's your bed when you go scamping with uncle neal and I. My family, they all have the very large toy haulers with the enormous trucks. My husband and I chose a slightly less gas guzzling path. We don't have the quads, we take turns riding a Vespa to work. We don't have the big rigs, I have a Honda Eliment, neal drives a 71 volkswagen single cab truck. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I figure when we go scamping with the family we will park right inbetween the two toy haulers and we will have plenty of shade during the summer! Better scamper, no pun intended, little terrier Stella is in need of a quick walk. Have a great evening,

kristen Beck
Medford Oregon
Old 04-06-2007, 10:02 PM   #12

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Hey, Kristen,

We have a '68 single cab pickup. It was my mid-life crisis - I wanted a return to our bus like we had before the kids. Its engine starts but we are afraid to try it around the block. We bought our Burro so we could enter the pickup and Burro in VW shows. But now we will have to wait a bit longer, as we fix up the new UHaul before beginning to work on the pickup. Then, hopefully we will be pulling the UHaul with the pickup to VW shows someday.

CindyL
Old 04-06-2007, 10:53 PM   #13

Registry
Hi Cindy,
A 68' that is great! you sure don't see the single cabs around much anymore and let me tell you my brother in law has one of those HUGE ford F250's and neal can out haul him. Not out pull but certainly make a bigger dump run. They are constantly amazed with that little truck. We were helping them remove their plum orchard and just filled that little truck with so much debris, branches and what not, just absolutley stacked and Jeremy said there is no way I could put that in my truck, no bed space. What kind of stuff does it need toget running, we have a ton of VW stuff. I have a 64 convertable, 67 deluxe bus, 66 squareback. If you need any special parts for it let me know. We are locked in to the VW family on the west coast. Lots of friends with lots of parts! Would love to see yours pull into a show with the Lil Jenny. neal's brother had a 58, i think, single cab and he had a little airstream. Unfortunatley he can't pull the airstream with his s. cab but, it's still a really cool little truck. Honestly though, if you have any parts needs or mechanical q's let me know. We took our deluxe bus on our honeymoon to Yellowstone and had to change a wheel bearing in Sand Point Idaho, took us 30 minutes to do it. i was packing the new bearing with grease while neal was getting the old one out of the wheel. It was like a mechanical ballet! that is how we met, he agreed to change my transmition mount in the convertable and I cooked him a pot roast to thank him, 12 1/2 years later, still so very much in love. email me if you have any cabbie parts or questions for Neal he's a wizz at fixing stuff. Have a great night,

Kristen and Neal Beck
Medford Oregon
Old 04-07-2007, 08:14 AM   #14

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Kristen,

Wow! I thought I knew something of VWs. When my son was a baby, I stayed home. We had two VWs, a '69 Autostickshift Bettle that we still have, and a '71 bus. One or the other was breaking down, so I would read up and tell Kevin what to look at when he got home. We didn't have the funds to have someone else work on our cars. I learned a lot, but I am still the Vanna White to the hubby's repair. The information helped when I taught sped at a technical high school. I knew a lot of the information.

I had Kevin read your email. He said to tell you that we are pretty set for parts (although I want to have a bigger engine put in it), but where we might need help is in the rust and bodywork that it needs. Someone took a balpeen hammer to it. To repair, they body-puttied the dents.

It will not be pulling Li'l Jenny, though. We are exchanging her for Howie, the 16 foot UHaul that is our latest project. He has more space and a bathroom but doesn't seem to be much heavier that the Burro, so when finished, the pickup ought to be able to pull it too.

We usually go to a few of VW shows around here each summer, the big one at Effingham, IL, one in Crystal Lake, IL, and one in southern WI. Not sure if we will go to the latter this year. While we took home a trophy for special class last summer with our Eurovan pulling Jenny, they changed the date, and it changed the flavor of the show. We spent the day next to a contest for the loudest stereo system. It was like a migrain on steroids. We thought we would enter the Eurovan and Jenny at Effingham this year, but I am not sure we will have the new UHaul ready for the trip that quick. It is the first weekend in June.

Hubby is Kevin A on this forum.

CindyL
Old 04-07-2007, 10:16 PM   #15

Registry
Hi Cindy,
I winced when you said balpeen hammer, so sad. People are heartless aren't they! The show you went to "migrain on steroids" we can relate. Here in Southern Oregon if your bug isn't thumping, don't bother going. People don't appreciate the stock beauties like they used to anymore, it's all about the stereo and airbags. We prefer the old school stock. You know, your lucky if you don't have to crank start it! Well we have good news, went to Salem and purchased ourselves an easter egg! It's great! So cute I can hardly stand it, although trailer salesmen leave something to be desired. They were a little insulting. I questioned whether we needed the electric break converter to take it home, thinking we would just get it in Medford. This guy said, If you can't afford the converter you shouldn't be buying the trailer. I looked at him with my most insulted glare and said, trust me the money is not a problem. He wasn't our salesman he was just the owner of the joint. Our salesman was really very nice, unfortunatley not very knowledgeable about scamps. As my sister said, the manditory walk through and instruction appt. should be filled with lots of "usefull" information. He didn't know the bunks turned into a couch, it was a learning experience for us all! But I'm thrilled with it. We get to take it home on Friday the 13th, should be fun, sister might go with me. Hope you all have a really wonderful Easter, I will upload some photos of our little bubbles soon. chat later,

Kris and Neal
Old 04-07-2007, 10:23 PM   #16

Registry
Congratulations!

What are they doing to it that you can't take it home right away?

Bobbie
Old 04-07-2007, 10:32 PM   #17

Registry
Well,
It has automatic breaks on the trailer and we don't have a converter. They didn't know it had the automatic breaks plus the technicians that take through the "walk through" and set up process, for safety reasons, don't work on saturdays so I have to go back up next friday and get the low down on set up, how to use propane and how to tow it. Never have done it before, should be very interesting. Plus i need to get the converter thing for my Honda eliment. I hate having to wait a week but safety first. We were actually very pleasantly surprised to find out it had the power breaks on the trailer and also an automatic hitch up and down switch. No cranking here! that thousand pounds would just do me in, ha ha ha! It was owned by an older gentleman, I guess the hitch thing kind of proves that. Really just a total gem, beautifully maintained and still has that new trailer smell.

kris and Neal
Old 04-08-2007, 08:43 AM   #18

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
congrats on getting the trailer!!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:08 PM   #19

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Kris,

By "converter" do you mean something like the Prodigy Tekonsha Brake Controller and the Bargman Style 7 way connector?

We aren't the type to do things ourselves so we had to take our Honda to the dealership with the Prodigy controller and had them do all the wiring for us. Glad we did as there is new equipment under the hood that wasn't there before (maybe a fuse or something). Also I am sure we have the right gauge wire installed too. They did a much better job than we were able to do on our own. Too bad the Honda doesn't come ready to wire.

Patrick did his own I think, so if you have Element questions get his advice. I don't know if he also needed the transmission cooler or not. We had that installed also in our Odyssey.

Sorry if others have responded and this is a repeat. Have been having trouble with fiberglassrv lately.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 02:58 PM   #20

Registry
Hi nancy,
I called out local U-hual and they have the converter you mentioned, the prodigy.
We are going to see what the directions say about installation and if it is beyond our scope we will take it to the professionals. The RV place did mention the transmission cooler, I will have to check into that too. How does your honda do pulling your trailer. I said to neal, I will be thrilled if I can go up a hill doing 45, he said it will do fine. We have some fun hills here in oregon. I don't plan on pushing Little sparky(our element) beyond her capabilities so i'm sure it will be fine. We ran into a couple in sequim washington who said you could not even tell they were pulling a trailer, it did just beautifully. I just want it in my driveway. Neal has threatened to park it on the front lawn at christmas time and decorate it with christmas lights, I said only if we can hook the light up deer to the front so it looks like they are pulling it. He agreed to my deer idea, it should really make the neighbors happy! Good thing we have a pretty good group of neighbors. Well we are off to u-haul and then a lovely easter dinner with the family, did you catch the sarcasm!! I think neal just made a growl sound. ha ha ha ha got to love the the holidays! Have a good day and thanks so much for the prodigy advice, we neeed all we can get being new to the rv world.

Thanks again,

kris and Neal
Nancy

Tags
scamp