looking at an 08 right now....????'s - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #1

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
looking at an 08 right now....????'s

Have a quick question....we are looking at an 08 right now. There is an area on the roof that has spider cracking (an area about 10" by 4")....is that something to be concerned about? It seems to be above where the cabinet over the bunks is....is it fixable? Does it even need fixing? It sure messes with the finish.....
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Spider Cracks are just cracks in the gelcoat and as far as I am concerned not too much to worry about,especially if that small and contained to an obvious stress area anyway like where the roof stresses from the weight of the hanging cabinets.

I would not let that be a deal breaker for me if it does not look huge or active in any way?

I know you are anxious to find something and this newer one might be it but you will just know when it is the right one.

I have bought 7 of them so far and I always just know if it os or is not from my gut.

Hope this helps?

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #3

Minnesota
Good to know it isn't a super huge deal...but i am super nervous about this one...i buy and sell a lot of things and this is giving me a stomachache......
Old 10-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggless View Post
Good to know it isn't a super huge deal...but i am super nervous about this one...i buy and sell a lot of things and this is giving me a stomachache......
Maybe you just need to try the facilities?
Old 10-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #5

So what happened??????
Old 10-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #6

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
If you do not have peace on the inside about it, back away. If that small voice says beware, it is best to listen... no matter how good something looks on the surface.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #7

Minnesota
I walked away. We bought some snowmobiles that looked good last year....hubby really like them....my gut said no. They both had some significant issues.... i know i will find one...just need to be patient. Got in touch with some uncles on the west coast, colorado, and oklahoma....i am enlisting their help. They will all come here eventually.....(grandma just moved here and they all come to see her), so i figure i am good.....
Old 10-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #8

What was the deal?
It would have to be pretty bad for an 08 to not be nice enough?

Was it as advertised or stinky?

Just curious.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:55 PM   #9

Minnesota
There was mold under the sink, mold in the vent and mold on the outside. Many stains on the "rat fur", the cracking on the top (cracks were wide enough to fit my fingernail into, and there was evidence of mice inside. Had it been older and cheaper I might have considered it, but for an 08, I decided it should have been in nicer shape....
Old 10-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #10

Well,sorry for the seemingly wasted trip but glad you passed too.
The good thing about all of this is that you are learning about used trailers for sure,they can be all over the place it seems from my experience and age can have little bearing on the condition it is clear.

Hang in there,one will come rolling along.

Ed
Old 10-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
What happened to "price in ownership"? Some folks are stuck at ownership and know nothing about pride.

Cricket, ask any seller if its "Move In Ready." And tell them, you're an operating room nurse!! Maybe then, they'd get the hint you're expecting something at the very least... clean.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #12

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Yep, dirty RV's seem to be more the rule than exception, especially at the end of the season. Sellers are done with them and they just want to sell for as much $$$ as possible without doing any work first.

That damage sounds like a lot more than spider cracks, more like something hit it from above.

About two years ago I heard a crash outside one night and went out to look and a huge chunk of ice had fallen off a plane and punched a hole in my patio roof. I saved a chunk of the ice to show the insurance guy, was it ever foul, must have been off of the dump valve for the loo that should have been dumped over the ocean.
I live about 5 miles from an active, ex-SAC base runway

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
Tennessee
Cricket, you made the right move. Always go with the still small voice.

The fact that you could get your fingernail in the gelcoat cracks tells me that there may have been a structural problem or at least damage from a prior event. I work with a lot of fiberglass boats and a little "spider cracking" isn't a big deal. They show up over time in areas that are stressed. However, if they're big enough to get your fingernail in there, stay away.

It's hard to say no to a deal when you really want something. Unless I'm REALLY sure, I back away and think about it (at least over lunch). You did the right thing.

You're dream unit will come along.
SailorSteve is offline   Reply With Quote