Looking for a lightweight - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-05-2014, 05:54 AM   #21

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
This discussion has been ongoing in many many other threads. (just search under 'towing' or 'tow rating' etc). At this juncture, I think that all everyone has made their opinion known and it is time to close this thread.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:30 PM   #22

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
This thread is being re-opened with a reminder to please keep the discussion focused on the OP's request for a list of lightweight fiberglass campers that can be towed by a vehicle with a 1500lb tow capacity.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:42 PM   #23
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
I was thinking of suggesting Lite House. There were not many of them made (mid-'90s vintage, out of New Mexico), but they were designed to be pulled by a small car. The Weiscraft Little Joe is, I think, a newer incarnation of the Lite House, but the one listed on the real world trailer weights must be very different, as it came in at over 1500 lbs.

Good luck with your search!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #24

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
This thread is being re-opened with a reminder to please keep the discussion focused on the OP's request for a list of lightweight fiberglass campers that can be towed by a vehicle with a 1500lb tow capacity.
I agree with your comment Pam, BUT could we say that the OP is looking for a trailer that "Weighs under 1500 lbs ready to go" so as to not get into the discussion of what a vehicle that is rated to tow 1500 lbs can pull?

FWIW: I think that the moderators should discourage any discussions encouraging towing in excess of mfgs tow ratings, but that's just my opinion .....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:02 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Interesting discussion on CBC recently about how the web reinforces opinions. There are 7.5 billion people on this earth and a whole lot of those people have web access, and all of them have opinions.
No matter what the opinion, if you Google it, you will find posts that endorse that opinion.
You can find web sites that encourage "cutting", drug use and suicide as recreation.
I don't think there is anything the moderators can do about encouraging over-weight towing.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:07 PM   #26

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The flat earth society has web access to
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:13 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Interesting discussion on CBC recently about how the web reinforces opinions. There are 7.5 billion people on this earth and a whole lot of those people have web access, and all of them have opinions.
No matter what the opinion, if you Google it, you will find posts that endorse that opinion.
You can find web sites that encourage "cutting", drug use and suicide as recreation.
I don't think there is anything the moderators can do about encouraging over-weight towing.
I hope you meant "Discourage overweight Towing"

Sure there is.... Just make that a criteria for posting "No guns, no politics and no over mfgs. weight towing suggestions"

On my Motorhome Tech site I prohibit any discussions about cooking, glamping, travel routes and places to eat.... and any suggestions about towing in excess of stated weight limits, it's a huge issue with Toyota Motorhomes, basically you can't tow anything.....

It's a "Technical Discussions" only forum.....

But lets stick with the OP's question.....

Old 05-07-2014, 03:17 PM   #28

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
How about that new Meercat? Not glass but aluminum, so maybe out of price range, but 900 lbs, new, nice for one.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:19 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I hope you meant "Discourage overweight Towing"
No. I think I meant what I said. That they can't prevent people from encouraging overweight towing.
I think that's what I said.

If they cut out posts about "can I tow", and passenger vs. ST tires and a couple other recurring topics, there won't be any posts.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:36 PM   #30

Name: Sharon
Trailer: UHaul
Massachusetts
Registry
I have a 13' 1984 U-Haul that I tow with a CR-V. No bathroom in it, no heater, no air conditioning. I got about 19 miles to the gallon last weekend.
Sharon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:41 AM   #31
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Great, back on track with this thead. Many of us on this forum are towing enthusiasts and luv to talk and discuss the topic of towing and tow vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa M. View Post
My daughter has a Honda Element with a tow hitch.
The Honda Element has so much going for it for someone like your daughter who has an interest in RVing and towing. It has a curb weight of almost 2 tons and handles it well. It has as much space inside as some mini vans. A very reliable vehicle. No one wants a vehicle that breaks down while out on vacation or traveling.

There is more to safe towing than dropping the tongue on the ball and driving off into the sunset.
When your daughter finds the trailer she likes be sure that she gets the connection right. On the trailer a good set of tires and axles with shocks help with stability. Having brakes on the trailer is another feature that adds a margin of safety that most appreciate.

Best of luck with your daughter's ventures.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:12 AM   #32

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
My Compact Jr weighs 1400 lbs. ready to go camping. It has ac, microwave, porta-potty and sleeps 2 with ease. Tongue weight is 160 lbs. It would work with the Element.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:11 AM   #33

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
There are not enough Trilliums on the trailer weight list.

I am fairly confident that an old Trillium 1300, with no appliances or options, would have a dry weight of close to 1500 lb. The OP could pack their stuff in the Element.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:43 AM   #34

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post

I am fairly confident that an old Trillium 1300, with no appliances or options, would have a dry weight of close to 1500 lb.
Maybe but why guess at it? Why not weigh it to be sure?

Not to mention many of the old Trilliums being sold in these parts still have appliances in them.

The problem as I see it with folks here making suggestions as to what they *believe* their trailers to weigh is that it can lead to big problems for the party asking.

When I went looking for a trailer to match the towing specs of a brand new car I had I did a lot of searching through old posts here, reading about what such and such a trailers weighed loaded up. Unfortunately the Real World Weight Thread had not yet been posted so I didn't have what has now become a pretty valuable resource for someone here considering the purchase of a Fiberglass trailer.

I looked a long time to find a trailer that I believed based on what I had read here in regards to a specific trailer and layout weighed loaded up for camping as well as looking at the trailer manufactures actual brochure for the year of trailer I purchased to make sure it was within all the towing specs. Went so far as to take a 2 day drive one way and go through the import process to make sure I had the right trailer to match the tugs specs.

It turned out that a lot of people here had really under estimated the weight of their trailers - not only on the loaded weight but the dry weight as well! The good news for me was that although the trailer weighed more than what I had believed it would it was still under my total tow capacity of the tug but it was no matter how I loaded it going to be over on the tongue weight capacity if I wanted a solid safe tow regardless of how hard I tried to get the axle weight down. The only good part of the story is I don't carry more than one passenger and as such was able to add that extra 40 or 50lbs onto the tongue for a stable tow without much worry about over loading the rear of the tug or going over my total GVWR..... had I had a family and rear passengers I would have been looking at selling a brand new car and taking a pretty heavy loss on it that I could not afford!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:52 AM   #35

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Could the tow vehicle tow weight recommendations also be referring to the wear and tear on the engine and transmission? On the flats a Honda Element or CRV would be adequate, but pulling up a long mountain stretch such as I-70 W before Denver can really take its toll on a warm day. I saw many people with trailers, and even truckers pulled over to cool down. For the most part, todays SUV's frame can handle the 2000# trailer, but can the transmissions and 4 cyl. engine? Just food for thought.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:41 PM   #36

Most 4 cylinder SUV's are of unit construction and don't have a frame, but front wheel drive isn't a known strong point either when compared to rear wheel drive anyway.

IMHO: I think that brakes and handling, with the additional weight behind the vehicle, are of more concern than wear and tear on the driveline. You can always downshift and go up any Interstate grade. Those that are overheated usually drove past the "Turn Off A/C" sign and tried to hold 70 MPH on the grades pulling a toybox full of "stuff" and/or have existing mechanical problems that they "didn't have time to fix"

Old 05-08-2014, 05:47 PM   #37

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa M. View Post
My daughter has a Honda Element with a tow hitch. She says it is rated for 1500 lbs. She is wondering if there are any 13' w/o bath out there that she could possibly tow (bearing in mind loading adds weight, etc.). I know a Casita 13' is out of the question. What about some of the lesser known trailers? Or will she be limited to a teardrop?
Looks like you've gotten a few good trailer suggestions already- hope this to be another:

I've been working on a list of successful small tow combos based on first-person posts both here and elsewhere. It's a work in progress and far from finished/comprehensive, but if you're interested in what I have so far just send me a private message.

Best of luck in your search for info!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #38

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Not about fiberglass campers but about weight & towing......so after reading feel free to delete,if you think it doesn't fit.

DH & I just finished converting a bass boat trailer to a kayak trailer that our DD can use to carry her boats/camping gear & or bicycles.She drives a 2013chevy Equinox LT it is a 4 cylinder. We have 5 kayaks total weight of them is 250 Lbs,since that will be the heaviest weight she will tow & the most often, after we finished our build we loaded the boats went to the weight station and found out that loaded it weights in at 1500 lbs.This past week end we all went camping she towed the kayak trailer with all 5 boats and her car loaded(3 people,dog,gear for 3 nights/days of boating/camping) . going North East from home there are Lots of steep hills,so we felt it would be a fair test of how well her car and the trailer would work.

4 cylinder towing 1500 lbs.....her mileage going 378 miles on our trip ..was 24 MPG
( driving with the wind)

Coming home,same route,highway but against the wind her millage was only 22MPG

She & her daddy worried that it might be to much for her SUV because she was at her tow limit.....they tracked everything they could think of and stayed well within all things to watch(RPM,way it handled,braking,cooling ) She had been reading that in other countries her SUV is rated to tow 2000 pounds, here in the USA it is 1500 so she was at her limit before she put in her passengers and gear.

Just thought this might be interesting to some folks talk about towing and tow rates.
Sorry if it is to long OR off topic( because the trailer or boats are fiberglass ) AGAIN let me say if the moderators thing it is wrong to be here or want to edit in anyway,feel free to do whatever you think is right,It want hurt my feelings or upset me in anyway.

Happy Camping to all
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:58 PM   #39

Trailer: Boler
My Boler was definitely lighter than the U-Haul I currently own by several hundred pounds. I could easily move the Boler around by grabbing the tongue and pushing it around in the driveway - the U-Haul not so much.
I think my Boler weighed around 900 to 1000 lbs - the U'haul is more like 1500.

I just bought another trailer (not all fiberglass) - a German Eriba Puck that weighs around 750 lbs - its a featherweight compared to my other trailers.

Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:13 AM   #40
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Musgrave View Post

She drives a 2013chevy Equinox LT it is a 4 cylinder. We have 5 kayaks total weight of them is 250 Lbs,since that will be the heaviest weight she will tow & the most often, after we finished our build we loaded the boats went to the weight station and found out that loaded it weights in at 1500 lbs.
For sure. Towing something that is aerodynamic is going to tow a lot easier than a box. That is one of the reasons I like the design of most glass eggs. When towing something with a 4cyl (Honda Element) an aerodynamic trailer is very desirable.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, weight