Looking for a lightweight - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2014, 09:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
Looking for a lightweight

My daughter has a Honda Element with a tow hitch. She says it is rated for 1500 lbs. She is wondering if there are any 13' w/o bath out there that she could possibly tow (bearing in mind loading adds weight, etc.). I know a Casita 13' is out of the question. What about some of the lesser known trailers? Or will she be limited to a teardrop?
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:40 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
There are a few that can easily come in under 1500, but as you mentioned, packing is very critical. Although the Comact-II's on the list look a bit heavy, mine was recently weighed at 1260 on the axle with 140 on the tongue for exactly 1400 total and that's packed to go with no water on board.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:58 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
My son Derrick of happier camper has been towing all his trailers for the last 2years with a Honda element with out any problems
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
My son Derrick of happier camper has been towing all his trailers for the last 2years with a Honda element with out any problems
Sorry, but "Towing all his trailers for the last two years with a Honda Element without any problems" really doesn't help a lot as, I am sure that the OP doesn't know what is being talked about.

Knowing what trailers and what their exact weight is would be very helpful however.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Lisa, there is a thread on this forum called Trailer Weights in the Real World that is a great resource and very helpful in determining what brands, size of trailers to consider.

Most of the trailers were weighed on arrival at a fiberglass trailer meet in Oregon over a few years - it was a full service campground so its doubtful that many of the trailers where packing much in the way of water in their tanks.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:30 AM   #6
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
Derrick was probably looking at some Honda Element forums and learned that the Element was a very capable Tow Vehicle. He also probably read that in most off shore countries they are towing substantial trailers because of the appropriate/higher tow ratings there.

Apparently "Hitches Online" sells a hitch (rated for 3500 lbs) that fits the Honda Element. No mater if you are towing 500lbs or much more with the Element I support the idea of using a heavy duty connection system. When it comes to hitches more is better.

PS... We are considering a Honda Element to replace our aging Nissan Mini Van. They have so much going for them..... except the high price!!

https://www.google.ca/search?q=honda...w=1597&bih=893
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:00 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Remember to.. location, location, location. There are tow routes in the flats and then there are tow routes in the mountains! While that wouldn't change the weight limits, towing over the Rocky's would certainly strain the tug more than the flat lands of the south. All things need to be taken into consideration, this is simply one of them.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:16 PM   #8

Name: Laura
Trailer: Winnebago
Iowa
Have you checked out a 13' scamp. I believe they weigh around 1200 lbs.
Laura June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:03 PM   #9

Location, Location & Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Remember to.. location, location, location. There are tow routes in the flats and then there are tow routes in the mountains! While that wouldn't change the weight limits, towing over the Rocky's would certainly strain the tug more than the flat lands of the south. All things need to be taken into consideration, this is simply one of them.
And also remember that, unless you are in a location where Honda Elements with higher towing limits are sold, that you are not in a location that can tow over 1500 lbs.

Towing limits for an individuals vehicle are set and established by numbers included in the owners manual for that specific vehicle, in that market.

There are always those that insist on bringing up the higher tow limits for a vehicle in a different market/country that you may not be located in. This should be of little, if any, interest to North American drivers, especially to the new-to-towing owner

For safety, as well as liability reasons, manufacturer's towing limits should not be seen merely as a suggestion.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:06 PM   #10

Scamp Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura June View Post
Ya But.... As seen in real world weights, where the lightest 13' Scamp is over 1700 lbs, the chance of keeping under 1500 lbs. is about Zip....

Old 05-04-2014, 05:19 PM   #11

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
sorry,

We have one of the lightest Scamp 13s with very little added, not even water on board. We weigh 1620. would be very difficult to have a 13 Scamp that weighs less. Maybe just the shell. Most 13s loaded easily weigh over 1700.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:36 PM   #12
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa M. View Post
My daughter has a Honda Element with a tow hitch. She says it is rated for 1500 lbs.
Many folks are not comfortable towing at the Tow Rating. They like to tow at 70 or 80% of the tow rating because they feel they are putting less stress on the tow vehicle.

In your case we know the off shore rating of your Element is 3,300lbs so you should be happy to know that even towing at the full North American 1,500lb rating you are actually towing at less that 50% of the vehicles capabilities. That is a good thing.

Find yourself a nice little glass egg trailer, set it up right, and enjoy your travels.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:56 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe

Please read Bob's post #9.

Safe travels, always.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:45 PM   #14

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Nothing new seems to be that light. Older Burros and Bolers and of course the Compact/Hunter/Campster type may be.

Tell her, though, that owner-reported weights in for-sale ads are unlikely to be very accurate, so she should ask if the owner actually has weighed the trailer. The lighter weight ones are going to be the ones without toilets and showers.

I wish some manufacturer would look at the small car market again and make something garageable and light enough besides a teardrop. The poptop type are so much more liveable than a teardrop, easy to store in the garage, easy to maneuver and pull with a smallish car.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:29 PM   #15

Well, while running some risk of being drummed out for inconsistency, but parroting my sons words, a 800 lb tent trailer might be a good alternative for a first trailer when your vehicle is rated at 1500 lbs. That's the sole reason he has me rebuilding tent trailers, rather than FGRV's, for his family TV.

Unfortunately, the price of high mileage can come in the darndest places, like in limited tow capacity.

BTW: No one hereabouts knows if other country versions of your car, with seemingly higher tow limits are, in fact, the same vehicle as we get, nor are the general towing conditions, speeds etc the same. Stick with your book and ignore the others.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:10 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
I don't know if the tow rating diiscrepecy between Europe and north America is to protect the owner or the manufacturer of a element but I do know Derrick has towed 7 different 13foot trailers and a 16foot scamp well over 80000 miles without a single issue on the element although none of the trailers has a washroom
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:17 PM   #17

Again, the book is the book. What some one successfully does has no bearing whatsoever on tow ratings. Add to that, I suspect a lot of those miles were delivering empty trailers that were under the 1500 lb limit and your son is an experienced TV driver, the OP is a newbie.

My Dad refused to ever wear a safety belt, apparently without any ill effect, but does that mean anything???? Nope...

Old 05-04-2014, 10:38 PM   #18

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura June View Post
Sadly thats not the case. Most 13' Scamps loaded up are well over 1500lbs - the lightest one on the the thread Trailer weights in the Real World came in at 1620 lbs the heaviest 13' Scamp weighed in at 1950 lbs.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:51 AM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Well, after reading a multitude of posts on manufacturing weights and towing limits I have never seen anyone that addressed this so I'll do it. I'm sure this post will get negative responces from a few people, but food for thought anyway. Manufacturers state a max load rating on their items, no matter what it is, a rope, ladder, chair, car or truck, well below the real breaking limit or use point. In this world of people suing everyone over their own actions, remember McDonalds and the hot coffee and burning yourself ?. They use the numbers to cover themselves from being sued. I'm not saying to go WAY overboard on the manufacturers numbers, just that there is a big built in safety factor in them to cover themselves. I've seen to many posts of people towing with different vehicles and trailers for many thousands of miles with no problem that some people may think is the wrong combination for a safe tow. Guess what I'm saying is that it's not black and white with factory numbers for any combination and common sence should be the rule. Kind of like we NEVER drive over the speed limit
There have been many excelent responces to newbies on towing a trailer and to make sure the tug will be good combo with their desired trailer. Just seems to me that some of the responces are aimed to be overly negative, but that's just how I interpet some answers. I totally agree with any over the top safety responce to any question, we all win with that.
Anyway. these are my thoughts. Safe travels to all.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:35 AM   #20
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
One of these might be a more comfortable tow. They also have a bigger bed than a 13'. Raz

http://www.golittleguy.com/model?id=...-Wide-Platform
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, weight