Looking for a used lightweight - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2022, 01:21 PM   #1

Name: Hans
Trailer: In the market looking for used lightweight
Ontario
Looking for a used lightweight

Hi, totally new to this forum
Never had a rv in my life but now time has come
I am looking for a used lightweight trailer that sleeps two and has a bathroom
My friend that referred me to this forum told me to be careful to not top out the weight of a trailer when using a Subaru Outback and should look for something around 1700 lbs
Hopefully there are some used pro-lites it there or any other lightweight trailer brands
Thanks
Hans
Hans de Vries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 01:53 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You have come to the right place. There are a number of vintage and newer molded fiberglass trailers that can be towed by a Subaru Outback. Most are around 13' long (tongue to bumper) with 10' cabins. We own a front bunk (no bath) model, which served our family of four well.

Bathrooms are pretty rare in the smallest 13' models. Scamps are the most common , but you can also find Casita Patriots and the occasional Trillium 1300 with a front wet bath. I think Canadian-made Armadillo makes a small front bath model, but I'm not sure. They are new and upscale.

Scamp offers one feature none of the others do, and that's the option of a wider main dinette bed (54" versus the class-standard 45"). All deluxe (wood interior) models have it, but only some newer standard (fiberglass interior) models do. For two adults on a longer trip, I'd want the extra space for a comfortable night's sleep.

Pro-lite is not made using the same molding process as the true "egg" trailers on this this forum, so you won't find a lot of information here. Helio is another Canadian "not-quite-molded" option that might fit the bill for your needs.

Best wishes in your search!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:19 PM   #3

Name: Bill
Trailer: Escape
Wisconsin
Escape 15A

You could get an Escape 15
Attached Thumbnails
Eacape.jpg  
Old 08-09-2022, 09:51 PM   #4

Name: Joel
Trailer: Casita SD
Texas
Plenty of good prospects crop up in the Classifieds section.

One word of caution: In some states, if a trailer weighs less than a certain minimum (i.e., 4000 lbs.), the seller doesn't need a title to sell it.

This makes small trailers attractive targets for thieves: Not needing a title makes it easier to sell them to unsuspecting buyers.

So - Be sure that the seller of any small trailer you're considering buying has a clear title in hand. Accept no excuses: No title - No sale!
JoelInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 07:29 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
A few states do not title small travel trailers. A few more are title optional. Fortunately the large majority do title travel trailers. I agree there is more risk buying from a no-title state with bill of sale only.

At least insist the bill of sale be notarized, which requires verification of the seller’s identity. My state motor vehicle website has a downloadable form that includes notarization. That should weed out the crooks. You might also ask for the VIN and run a google search. Anything that shows you are checking will likely scare off a thief.

Within the US, when you go to title and register a vehicle in your own state, they will accept a notarized bill of sale if the trailer comes from a no-title state, but they will require a title if coming from a title state. They know which is which.

I note the OP is in Canada, where the rules are different. There are no vehicle titles in Canada, just registration paperwork that functions like a title in the States as proof of ownership. If importing a used trailer from the US is a possibility, the OP should probably check with Canadian customs and a provincial motor vehicle office about required documentation.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 01:20 PM   #6

Name: Hans
Trailer: In the market looking for used lightweight
Ontario
Thanks s much Jon for your feedback on my questions
Hans de Vries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 02:40 PM   #7

Name: Joel
Trailer: Casita SD
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post
My friend that referred me to this forum told me to be careful to not top out the weight of a trailer when using a Subaru Outback and should look for something around 1700 lbs
You saw this thread?
JoelInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, weight