Looking for advice on new purchase - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-27-2006, 08:29 PM   #1

Trailer: 2004 Trillium Outback
Hi all,

I currently own a '72 trillium and am considering buying a new Trillium "Outback". The unit I'm looking at has the extended counter top and flush toilet. Although it appears to be the same fiberglass mold as the older Trilliums, the components and interior is updated. I'm not familiar with the 12 volt fridges, power converters, black and grey water holding tanks, etc.
I would appreciate any advice, suggestions or recommendations from anyone who has any experience with this new breed of Trillium.

Thanks.
garfield ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Wish I could help. All I can say is that they sure do look good from the photos I've seen at their website.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 07:50 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I searched, and found this in one of the "Legacy Posts" from BH. ([b]Before Hack)
Quote:
One possibility is that the frig is a [b]Norcold DC rig with a compressor. Works just like the one at home. Draws 2.5 amps 12VDC while compressor is running. MUCH less that the absorption kind that run on 120/12/LP. Good setup for those that use hookups most of the time.
Otherwise, It is similar to any trailer with a bathroom. Do you have any specific questions?
Old 09-29-2006, 09:09 PM   #4

Hi Frederick,

No, I don't have any specific questions. I was hoping to hear from others who own Outbacks. The interior wall covering is some kind of heat pressed fabric similiar to the carpeting on the floor of a car. I quess it's the same stuff used in boats. The ensolite in my old Trillium was starting to come unglued in spots and there were air pockets behind the ensolite that I was having problems with. I'm hoping this new material won't be falling off the walls in a few years. There are no seams in the Outback as there are in the Trilliums. If this new material becomes unglued, it's going to be a nightmare to fix. Also, the fridge is pretty well enclosed within the cabinate and, because it doesn't operate on propane, there is no ventilation. I'm hoping there won't be any overheating issues. I've been talking to Joe at Team Trillium in Calgary and he has been excellent and has reassued me that they haven't had any complaints. So, I'm going ahead with the purchase and I'm picking up my new Outback on Sunday. I'm excited but at the same time, I'll miss my "72 Trillium. I did a number of modifications to it to get it just the way I wanted it. I don't think I'll be hacking away at the new one for awhile.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I'll just bet the nice guy at Team Trillium NEVER said anything about the leaks these new ones are prone to (causing some B.C. dealers to drop these trailers from their lineups)??

Also did he point out that the nice coverings on the walls ceilings will really hold grease/grit, dirt from cooking indoors and did he give you suggestions on how to keep it clean or to clean it?. Did he point out also the smaller sized btu ratings of the furnace?

I guess it looks like I'm sounding off here, but you DID ask....
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 06:03 AM   #6

Thanks Doug for the feedback.

The Outback I'm purchasing is fom a fellow in Nova Scotia. Although it's a 2004, it has never been on the road. I called Joe at Trillium in Calgary three or four times for info and although there wasn't any money in it for him, he took his time and answered all my questions. He spent half an hour on the phone with me going over the manufacturing process. I was impressed and thankful for the assistance he provided. It's reassuring to know that the manufacturer believes in and will stand behind his product.

The Outbacks have a window that can be popped open as an emergency exit. This may be a safety requirement for manufacturers. There's a lip above that window that looks like it can trap water. I'll seal that with some silicone. Otherwise, I don't see where water leaks may be any more of a problem than in my '72 Trillium, but time will tell. I tried out the furnance. It's rated for 12000 BTU. It appeared to be giving off lots of heat. But again, time will tell if that's going to be sufficient. There was frost on my windows this morning. I'm thinking of treating the interior with Scotch Guard.

My '72 Trillium is 1100 lbs and the Outback is 1400 lbs. It looks that that extra 300 lbs is mostly in the frame. I don't like the idea of towing an extra 300 lbs but I do like the looks of the frame. I'm picking up the Outback today, about a 200 Km trip. I'll get to see how it tows.

Well, again thnks for the advice. I do believe that if you ask a seller questions when buying a trailer that they'll be honest with you...it's just knowing what questions to ask.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:28 PM   #7

Registry
DON'T USE SILICONE to patch that leak!! Take the time, pull the window and reseal it with butyl tape. MOST trailers have an escape window and or escape hatch nowadays! The added weight IS indeed in the frame but for what good purpose(?) IMHO, 12,000 btus isn't awhole lot of heat. I have a cat heater easily capable of that and its adjustable too. It looks like I'm trying to disuade you from this deal, but I'm NOT!! I just wanted you to hear some input from someone else (a '75 Trillium owner) that did some digging also into "updating" to a new trailer. For what its worth,, I'm going to bid my time and hopefully get one of Reace's upcoming Mini-Escapes instead!!
Old 10-06-2006, 02:11 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...My '72 Trillium is 1100 lbs and the Outback is 1400 lbs. It looks that that extra 300 lbs is mostly in the frame...
It seems unlikely to me that the frame itself is that much heavier. An entire 13' egg frame would only be about fifty feet of tubing, and with 2"x2"x1/8" steel tubing by my calculations that would only be roughly 150 lbs of metal, total. Someone who has built or rebuilt a frame for this type of trailer might provide a more accurate meaurement, but I suspect that the difference between the original and current frame construction accounts for a minor part of the 300 lbs.

Other sources of increased weight might be brakes (if they were not included in 1972, but included now), other equipment which has become standard, larger or thicker (or glass instead of plastic) windows, larger tires, etc. Any or all of them might be quite desirable.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 10:15 PM   #9

Registry
Trilliums/Outbacks all use glass windows....
Old 10-08-2006, 10:17 AM   #10

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
A roof A/C install is roughly 100lbs by itself. A power inverter and wiring is probably 15 lbs installed. The dual thermopane windows by themselves added a BUNCH of weight to my new Bigfoot. Changing from 13" "B" rated tires and wheels to 14" "C" rated tires and wheels would add weight. Beefed up glassing in areas, more blocking inside the glass... all adds a little weight. Small stuff adds up pretty quickly.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote