Looking for info on 13 foot units - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-28-2008, 01:11 PM   #1

Trailer: Rockwood Roo 17 ft Expandable
Hi Folks,

I am interested in getting more info on 13ft. Scamps and Casitas. Both Scamp and Casitas websites are not very informative. I am almost 6 ft. tall. Is the dinette wide enough for someone of my height to sleep on? Are the floors in these campers wood or fiberglass? I would like a toilet and shower in my camper. Is the front shower area large enough to use? Do you use a sway bar on the 13ft. units. I have a sway bar on my 17ft. Roo and it does help when on the highway. As soon as I sell my Roo I will looking to buy a fiberglass camper.

Info would be helpful.

Thanks,

Doris Keil-Shamieh
Maryland
doris shamieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
We have a 13' Scamp and the bed/dinette area is 6'6" wide before it starts to curve at the back. The floor is wood. We don't have the bathroom option so I can't help with that question. We do not use a sway bar. We are careful to load most of the weight in front ot the axle and we have never had a problem towing it with our Ford Ranger. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have a sway bar but it's not necessary with a 13'.

Good luck!

Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
Since you are up there sort of close to where Scamp is made, I'm assuming there's some of us FGRV-ers up there who wouldn't mind you checking out their dinette/bed space. See if anyone responds to this close to you and contact them. Since you are a member, you can search for maryland members and maybe find some.

We are short and our scamp fits us perfectly. Our son-in-law is 6-2 and he fits ok with only a slight tilt to the head and he says he does not feel squished in the upper bunk when he comes with us and has not complained about the bed when they take it on their own.

The thing to realize about the main use behind these trailers--and why most folks buy and are happy with them is--they don't 'live' in them. Most folks having them use them like tents--just for sleeping and bad weather. Otherwise, they are out and about. Even folks who are 'full-timing' are out and about most of the day and arrive home maybe for steaks on the barbie before turning in.

Hope this helps.
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
The post fire 13 foot Scamp has more headroom than the prefire Scamp. So if you are thinking about a used unit you might not be happy.

There are exceptions but generally we with 13 foot Scamps prefer not to have the front bath because we want to feel like we are not in such a small unit. Also, I've a feeling the front bath would not be comfortable for a tall person. For most of us the use of a Thetford 135 porta potti (or another of the same size) under the front bunk works best. Some have rigged portable showers in the middle of the unit. We always use campground showers, if they aren't available we do the sponge bath.

We are short so can't really answer your questions.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Scamp is in Minnesota not Maryland. If you call Scamp you may be able to get names of people who have a 13 foot Scamp back east.

The best thing you could do is attend a gathering of fiberglass trailers. That way you can see several.

Check out this website under calendar to see if there is anything planned closer to you than Texas or Minnesota.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:53 PM   #6

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry

I have a 1983 13' Scamp and my bed area is 46"x78" at the dinette area. I pull it with a 1997 Chevrolet S-10 pickup , 4 CYL ,5 speed. I get about 20 MPG driving 55 MPH on freeway. Don't pull with a 4 cyl with a Automatic,or your transmission will be shot in no time. (Just my opinion)
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:58 PM   #7

Trailer: Rockwood Roo 17 ft Expandable
Quote:
The thing to realize about the main use behind these trailers--and why most folks buy and are happy with them is--they don't 'live' in them. Most folks having them use them like tents--just for sleeping and bad weather. Otherwise, they are out and about. Even folks who are 'full-timing' are out and about most of the day and arrive home maybe for steaks on the barbie before turning in.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for the info. We just returned from a camping trip to Assateague Island, Maryland. Most campers hide in their units. My hubbie and I have three kids. The two youngers ones still like camping but not the older one. If we camp as a family we will have to go back to taking a tent along when it's all of us. I like to camp on my own and I usually just take a tent and leave our trailer behind but if I have a 13ft. camper it will be great to have it along for bad weather.

Doris
doris shamieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
While ours is a 16' Scamp, you can see the 2 tents we had set up in the site for our kids. The three of them used the larger tent for sleeping, and the small tent for gear storage. This arrangement works great for all of us. By the time the kids need a camper they should be able to own and tow one of their own.

This is a shot of the site on our first outing since the rebuild was completed. We camped at Golden Lake Campground (USNF) in the U.P. of MI on Memorial day weekend.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0655__Medium_.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	14143
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote