Looking for little advice - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #1

Name: George
Trailer: 16' Scamp SD, TV: Tacoma 4cyl
Northern Wisconsin
Looking for little advice

Hi, I am a soon to be new Scamp owner. We bought a 16' with the side dinette and a bath and will pick it up on April 8th (if the snow ever melts). We are totally clueless. I've been lurking and reading here for about a year but have some questions for you experienced and helpful folks.

Looking on the internet, there about a million gadgets and things for these trailers. What, if any of them will I need to purchase before wandering forth with my new toy? Example: Hose extensions, both black water and gray water? do I need some? How about converters for different hose sizes? Electrical extension cords? If so, how Long? Other plumbing or electrical? I'd like to buy a solar panel and converter to keep the battery charged, what size will do the job? And mattresses, Lots of folks like memory foam but I've heard it's hot (We don't like hot), I've read latex solves that but how thick if laid over the dinette cushions....and on and on....

Thanks in advance
George and Eva
George Nagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #2

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Welcome to the forum and the Scamp family,

Advice I've seen posted before which probably also applies to your situation is; take the trailer home, sleep in it in the driveway. That alone might start to answer some of your questions. Then maybe a nearby spot for the weekend. By then you'll probably have a much better idea of your needs. Everyone's needs and circumstances are different.

Specific questions about items such as solar cells can be answered by searching the site. There has been extensive posts about them.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
As Ron said, it depends on your style of camping. I rarely stay in one place for more than a couple of days; if you camp for a long time in one place hookups long enough to reach may be more important.

As to extensions, I don't carry a sewer extension - if I can't reach, I just wait till I'm ready to leave & use the dump station. I've stayed at well over 100 campgrounds, and only wished for a 30 amp power cord extension twice. In both cases I just ran less stuff & used an adapter with a #12 50' extension cord I carry in the tow vehicle. For water hoses I carry a 25' & a 10'. On rare occasions, I've needed both, usually the 10' is long enough.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Solar go with 50 to 80 watt panel.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #5

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
You can buy 100 watt Solar systems for around $120. It would be prudent to have one at least that size or larger. It is far better to have too much than not enough, that way you will still get a good charge if the weather is cloudy.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #6

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Hope your grey water valve is a tee on the main or black water lline. Should only need 5 or 10' of slinky with a 2 or 4 hook bayonet fitting on one end. What you have on the dump end depends on what's required by law where you're going and how concerned you are with spills and surface contamination. There are donuts and multi diameter funnels. I've always relied on hose in the hole handy rock or chunk of wood on the tank flapper. I like an extra long 30amp extension (25-30') but it's a lot of wgt. to carry if the "pad " situation is so tight where you're going that you're always right on top of the utility post. I've run into some state park situations where a bit more flexibility in location paid in terms of leveling and at least one drive-thru site in southern DE with trees between post and trailer which made 10' of cord a stretch.

I agree that buying stuff in reaction to what you find out there is better than loadig up on every possible combination and variant and finding you don't need it or don't like using it or don't feel it's worthy of hauling around.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I have the combination of a 95 watt panel combined with a pair of 225 amp/hr 6V batteries. Works great & when averaging a 20 - 25 amp/hr draw, the system is usually back to 100% by noon.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Congratulations on the new Scamp and welcome to the forum. To go camping there are a few things you will need and some things you may want, but there are a couple things you must have to bring your trailer home. Wheel chocks is the first. And a level and leveling boards (lumber scraps are what I use) is the second. You can't unhitch without chocks and you will want to level from side to side. Take care, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Post Accessory List

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Nagel View Post
What, if any of them will I need to purchase before wandering forth with my new toy? Example: Hose extensions, both black water and gray water? do I need some? How about converters for different hose sizes? Electrical extension cords? If so, how Long? Other plumbing or electrical?
These are the accessories that I carry, collected over time. I may have forgotten one or 2...
Old 03-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The good news is that most stuff that you might need is sold at Walmart in their RV section.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:36 PM   #12

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Do yourself a favor and order factory air and awning.
You won't regret it. Find some chairs with side tables.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #13

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
List of things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Nice! You should store this list for easy access.
You Guy's forgot this!
Attached Thumbnails
Pink Pig.jpg  
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #14

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
If you've been "lurking" on this site for a few years, you've probably already seen my posts regarding bedding. On our maiden trip with our new 13' Scamp (2011) we found the bed to be incredibly hard. As soon as we got home I customized a thermafoam mattress topper for the Scamp and have found it incredibly comfortable. There is no need to get expensive (and heavy) latex. See my photos. If you have any questions, just send me a private message.
Happy Camping!
Gilda
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 023.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 022.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 025.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 026.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 031.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 032.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:54 PM   #15

Name: George
Trailer: 16' Scamp SD, TV: Tacoma 4cyl
Northern Wisconsin
Thanks everyone, keep 'em coming. Good info and a few thing I wouldn't have thought of in a million years. Looks to me like that pink piggy is one of the most important
George Nagel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adapters, chocks, cords, hoses