Looking to Buy a 1985 Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2020, 10:48 PM   #1

Name: Austin
Trailer: Hoping for a Casita
Oregon
Looking to Buy a 1985 Casita

Hi All! New member but long-time lurker. Hoping for some advice as a prospective first time FGRV owner. My wife and I borrowed a friend’s casita last summer and have been looking to buy our own since. This 1985 Casita 16’ popped up for sale near us (attached). The description states:

1985 Casita 16’ Fiberglass Travel Trailer, Custom Paint, Rock shield/bra, Double bed and Dinette, converts to King Size Bed, toilet, shower, two burner cooktop, 3 way refrigerator, kitchen sink, flat screen tv, hood fan, overhead fan, storage, new battery, 3500 Watt generator, air conditioner (not installed), microwave (not installed), portable waste water tote, two new 20 lb propane tanks, new hard cover for propane tanks, New taillights, new floor and floor covering, custom wheels, almost new tires, awning, receiver hitch on back for bikes or cargo carrier, power inverter, 110 and 12 volt lights and plugs. Sway bar and new receiver hitch, lock for receiver hitch. License plates good until 8/2022, clear title. ~2200 lbs, loaded.

Spoke to the owners- they claim they are the second owners(bought from a friend) and that renovating the trailer was their retirement project. They’ve since upgraded to an airstream. We are going to look at it on Friday, and I’m wondering if anyone has any advice for us. A few questions that come to mind already:

1) this is the original axle. Even if it’s not cracked already, should we plan on replacing ASAP anyways?
2) they are asking $11,500 which seems high. Is that normal pricing considering age and condition?
Attached Thumbnails
47E90689-36F7-4EF3-A052-6BC64C7D6703.jpeg   15D3EF91-01A9-4104-AA55-D3066F17C7A6.jpeg  

D28B8F82-6E2A-4D21-900F-547A996114DF.jpeg   CB5D885A-7F79-4A63-A28C-A1B73FDC2391.jpeg  

ausram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:24 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Yes, price is high. One thing I do not like is the lack of upper cabinets on either side above the bed.

Looks like seller has done a lot of work on this trailer. So its all about the quality of that work. In person inspection will be key. Yes, with a 34 year old axle, budget for a replacement.

If the work is top notch, then it is worth it.

What do you get with a 17 footer in comparison to this 16? One more foot obviously, but you also get a significantly higher ceiling height, newer ones can support roof air (and roof air was usually standard). 17 footer heavier of course.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:43 PM   #3

Name: Austin
Trailer: Hoping for a Casita
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Yes, price is high. One thing I do not like is the lack of upper cabinets on either side above the bed.

Looks like seller has done a lot of work on this trailer. So its all about the quality of that work. In person inspection will be key. Yes, with a 34 year old axle, budget for a replacement.

If the work is top notch, then it is worth it.

What do you get with a 17 footer in comparison to this 16? One more foot obviously, but you also get a significantly higher ceiling height, newer ones can support roof air (and roof air was usually standard). 17 footer heavier of course.
Appreciate the advice! Unfortunately we decided this is not the one for us. My wife and the are both tall and while the 17 is only a little higher, the height in the 16 was just not comfortable. Search continues!
ausram is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita