Lost our Scamp 16 in fire - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-12-2022, 07:04 PM   #1

Name: D. Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Manitoba
Lost our Scamp 16 in fire

Last week Wed July 6 2022 12:22 am My wife and I were awakened by our dog, to find our vehicles and our Scamp in a raging fire. We lost virtually everything. We escaped the house before it became engaged.
We loved our 2014 Scamp 16ft layout 6. We were scheduled to attend the Scamp Homecoming next week. Maybe we will come with a tent. Does anyone have a Similar model they would like to sell We would love to hear from you ahead of time.
The full story of out fire can be found on steinbachonline.com titled "We lost everything, but we are okay"
Jim and Marlene Reimer
Steinbach Manitoba Canada
Jim Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 07:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm so sorry. I can't even begin to imagine, just glad to hear you're both safe and healthy. The rest will come in time.

This is a direct link to the article: https://steinbachonline.com/articles...-but-were-okay
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 09:21 PM   #3
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Oh, how sad!

Thank goodness for your dog!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 11:09 PM   #4

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I suggest you continue to search the "for sale" section of FGRV. I sold mine in less than one day! Also continue to post your request to buy a trailer on the FGRV Forum. Make your title something like "Seeking FGRV in Manitoba, Canada" or wherever you can travel or where trusted friends can look for you. I sold mine locally as the potential buyers who responded quickly were local. Ask folks at the camping event that you are going to. Sometimes people have more than one trailer, are on the verge of selling and/or can refer you to others. There was many a time we got offers at a gas station or in our campground. When selling our trailer we were also approached by RV brokers. You never know where your opportunity will come from.
I hope everything looks up from here for you and your family.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 11:25 PM   #5

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I just saw your request for a SCAMP in this classified thread. Good for you for getting the word out quickly! Of course, Escapes are also popular in Canada!
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...s-88342-2.html

Also, of the 20+ respondents to my For Sale ad, almost all were from Craigslist. I was surprised that there were very few from the FGRV ad. So, look to Craigslist or the equivalent in Canada (Kijiji). Set up an "alert" system. If you don't know how, ask a young person. Also, be very aware of SCAMS!!

Depending on how close you are to the U.S. border, and on the importation regulations, you might find a SCAMP in Minnesota or North Dakota. The closer to the manufacturer in Backus, Minnesota you look the more SCAMPS you will find. In fact, you might be able to get a cancelled order or a used SCAMP from the manufacturer. I do understand SCAMPS are hugely popular now and the new ones have a 2-3 year waiting list.

I just checked the SCAMP website at https://www.scamptrailers.com/about-us/scamp-rally and they are advertising their first "Homecoming" on July 22-24th. They are inviting people with all kinds of trailers to attend in Backus (I'll bet they welcome tent-campers as well, especially after they hear your story.)
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 09:38 PM   #6

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitoba Jim View Post
Last week Wed July 6 2022 12:22 am My wife and I were awakened by our dog, to find our vehicles and our Scamp in a raging fire. We lost virtually everything. We escaped the house before it became engaged.
We loved our 2014 Scamp 16ft layout 6. We were scheduled to attend the Scamp Homecoming next week. Maybe we will come with a tent. Does anyone have a Similar model they would like to sell We would love to hear from you ahead of time.
The full story of out fire can be found on steinbachonline.com titled "We lost everything, but we are okay"
Jim and Marlene Reimer
I can't imagine losing everything including the trailer and vehicles. I am so sorry. We pray every night for people who have lost their homes, etc. I will put you on our list. I hope you can get your home rebuilt and everything replaced soon. There are usually several trailers on this site for sale. Good luck and try to have some fun at the homecoming.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 10:26 AM   #7

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitoba Jim View Post
Jim and Marlene Reimer

So sorry to hear about your heart wrenching fire- A beware story for others- we also plugged our Casita into garage power. We usually put the connection back inside the little door to protect from rain, etc. Recently we checked the connection and it was HOT - possibly a loose wire or connection. Now we leave the Casita cord extended away from the camper to the extension cord. Got a new extension cord too, just in case.
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 11:17 AM   #8

Name: Michael
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Registry
Jim, I have a 2018 16ft side dinette that I am putting on the market in a couple of days, but I am in North Carolina.
mikael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 11:17 AM   #9

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Actually I had kind of the inverse happen about 11 years ago. Luckily I keep a full set of everything in my scamp so I can head to an incident very quickly. My scamp survived my place did not. So at least I had some stuff.

Actually I have my scamp because of a friend. I had trouble getting out and ended up in the hospital from breathing to much smoke. It looked like my camper which was next to my place. I don't know how my friend my friend did it, but he talked the firemen into letting him hook onto it and then he backed it a half mile to get it out of their way.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp