lost title - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2021, 05:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
lost title

Sooo here is the tale bought a 13 ft egg some two years ago .... then along came back surgery shortly after recovering along came three stents and then Covid ( which thankfully we didn't get ). Net result we only took the egg camping one time shortly after the purchase and I never got around to getting it retitled . Sooo now cant't find the title and seller has apparently no interest in helping ( can't blame him problem is obviously my responsibility ) . Sooo I assumed I was out of luck but stumbled onto a possible solution . In my state , and presumably others , there is a thing called a bonded title . The drill being you post a bond ( cost maybe $100 or more ? ) and a bonded title is issued . If no one protest your owner ship in three years , could vary , a clean title is issued . I haven't tried it yet but will post again with progress . Lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 05:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Or, Go the abanded vehicle way, and if not claimed in a shorter period, its yours.

Question: Did you do a bill of sale?
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 06:26 PM   #3

lost title

Unfortunately bill of sale was with title . How does the abandoned vehicle thing work ? Lee and Norma
Old 08-25-2021, 07:13 PM   #4

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Do you have the canceled check that you paid with? That would be a start!! Did you offer to pay the previous owner to go thru the trouble of getting the replacement title?? Make it worth his while!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 07:55 PM   #5

lost title

Pat Another impasse it was a cash deal , bummer can't win . Lee and Normz
Old 08-25-2021, 07:59 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
There are so many variable rules from one state to another, the best thing is to ask at your local Motor Vehicle Department. One of my trailers, that I had no paperwork for, I was asked if it had been in my possession for more than one year. Of course the correct answer was "yes". I've heard it is easy to register a trailer in Maine, then later transfer it to your home state.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 08:30 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Senn View Post
Sooo here is the tale bought a 13 ft egg some two years ago .... then along came back surgery shortly after recovering along came three stents and then Covid ( which thankfully we didn't get ). Net result we only took the egg camping one time shortly after the purchase and I never got around to getting it retitled . Sooo now cant't find the title and seller has apparently no interest in helping ( can't blame him problem is obviously my responsibility ) . Sooo I assumed I was out of luck but stumbled onto a possible solution . In my state , and presumably others , there is a thing called a bonded title . The drill being you post a bond ( cost maybe $100 or more ? ) and a bonded title is issued . If no one protest your owner ship in three years , could vary , a clean title is issued . I haven't tried it yet but will post again with progress . Lee and Norma
In Illinois, after following the process, you immediately receive a new "original" title and any contested owner would only receive the bond money amount, which is set buy a professional appraiser (such as an RV dealer).

So don't do any improvements until after the appraisal ( bond insurance around here costs about $50 per $5000 in bond.
The appraisal usually less than $100.
(like$20 to $100)

If you stop looking for the title and just kinda shuffle through the drawers that you throw stuff in, It will prolly pop up.. Give it another week and good luck.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 09:08 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It's going to show up in the last place you look!

Good luck Lee
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 04:34 AM   #9

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
It's going to show up in the last place you look!
That has bothered me so much over the last few years that I now automatically look in two or three more places after I find whatever it is I'm looking for.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:27 AM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Senn View Post
I’m a real crabby gal when I lose paperwork! I only lost a title one time and had to tear through a bunch of ‘saving for sorting later’ paperwork to find it! So now I keep a small fire box in our closet. Any super important paperwork like car titles, social security cards, passports, gets put into it. We might have to sift through a mound of papers if we just stuffed them inside, but at least everything is in one place. It’s good to know that you have a way to get your trailer registered, best of luck!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:34 AM   #11

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
It really is state specific. Some are hard, some aren’t. Check with localDMV. They will have a process as you won’t be the first!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 11:28 AM   #12

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
As has been stated, it varies from state to state. Virginia has (or had... I haven't had occasion to use it lately) an online registration. When I bought my Burro in Illinois, I had it registered before I even hooked it up. If anything had happened to the title on the way home, I would have been protected. Advice to all folks reading this thread: Get some sort of documentation in place ASAP!

I tend to be casual with a lot of my paperwork, but that does not apply to my titles.

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 11:49 AM   #13

Name: Peter
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
I would go with Parmm; make it easy on the seller.

1) Wait for awhile for the title to surface; this would be the best outcome.

2) If #1 fails go online to your state's DMV and find the forms you need. You're looking for a Request for Duplicate Title and a Bill of Sale form.

Complete the forms and check on the fees. Send your seller the completed forms and enclose a check for the DMV fees and an addressed and stamped letter so the seller can mail in the forms. Call your seller and tell him what you are doing. (You want the seller to request the duplicate title so that he can transfer that new title to you. In most states you cannot complete a title transfer without actually having a title to transfer).

As time goes by title issues become more and more time consuming to resolve; especially without adequate documentation. It took me over two years to resolve a title issue when my seller died before locating their copy of the title. I had a good bill of sale and the cooperation of the heirs and it still took that long to complete the title transfer.

Good luck and don't let this slide too long. If the seller doesn't have to lift a finger or pay a penny it is likely they will help you.

People have correctly pointed out that each state is different. A potential wrinkle is if your state taxes private vehicles sales like this trailer. Your seller could be trying to avoid paying sales tax and was more than happy to sell to you without a bill of sale documenting the sales price. I won't speculate about this but keep it in mind should it potentially apply in your case.

Peter
Cottonwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 11:59 AM   #14

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
The previous owner can get a replacement title. But you are going to have to make it worth his will to go thru the hassle. In other words, grease his palm with greenbacks!!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
title