Love's Travel RV stop - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2022, 06:21 AM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: Shopping
Alabama
Love's Travel RV stop

Stayed at a Love's Travel RV stop with full hookups. Was not expecting it to be quiet but figured it would be a good spot to pull in, sleep a few hours and then get back on the road.

Showed up at 9 or 10pm. There is a semi in my spot. So the Love's employee is now banging on the trucker's door to move him. Great, now I have a super pissed of trucker parked next to me. Over the course of the night probably 10 truckers pulled in and out right next to me. They are not paying for the spot, just parking any place they can. Overall I would give it ZERO out of 10 stars.

Like I said, I was not expecting it to be quiet but I though I'd have more than 2 feet between my camper and semi trucks.
dcs02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 08:52 AM   #2

Name: Joel
Trailer: Casita SD
Texas
Sounds like they need a separate, designated area for folks with reservations - inaccessible to random truckers.
JoelInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 11:16 AM   #3

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
If they are not paying....would that be considered...."Free Love"???? Very popular back in the 60's.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 01:47 PM   #4

Name: Shelby
Tennessee
Sorry to hear this. It seems like a good idea and something folks could use instead of poaching the Wally lot. Maybe they are still working out the kinks and will come up with better signage or some other solution. They seem to be committed, adding new locations frequently.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 05:00 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
A few years ago we stayed at either a Love's or Pilot truck stop. Asked permission and was told where the RV parking area was and to please park there. No charge.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
We have stayed at Love's, Pilots, and Flying J's many times over the years, most have separate parking for semi trucks. We usually just fill-up then find a good place to park then go in to get something to eat. Most often there are two parking spots in line which works great for a Ranger and a Scamp.
sometimes we just park out of the way along the curb.
Sometimes they even have dedicated RV and light trailer parking.

Parking with the trucks can be a bit noisy. If that bothers you, you can find a spot in the car lot or...

The quietest places along the road are often CrackerBarrels. They have great parking, often with grassy areas next to them and you wake up to the smell of a great breakfast!
Overall the more rural the better
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 05:19 AM   #7

Name: Shelby
Tennessee
Here's a link to the RV Stop locations https://www.camplife.com/campground/Loves+RV+Stops
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 06:11 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I think the idea of convenient (near interstates), inexpensive, overnight, RV-only parking spots with power is a great concept. The power allows RVs to run A/C, which is a huge plus for sleeping comfort in many parts of the country in summer. I personally think water and sewer hookups are a mistake for this "quick stop" service, adding unnecessary infrastructure and maintenance. A central RV dump-and-fill station is sufficient. You didn't mention what they are charging, but to keep the price low, they'd have to be tight quarters. Land near interstates is expensive.

Commercial truck drivers have their own challenges finding places to park for federally mandated rest times. There simply aren't enough spots available, and you may have been on the receiving end of resentment that space once available for truck parking is now being given to RVers.

I completely agree that RVs and semis do not mix. You need to communicate your experience to Love's. As far as I know, this is a new concept, and your feedback may help them as they consider expanding the service to more locations.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:50 AM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I seem to recall the rest areas on the interstate in one of the midwestern states, Indiana perhaps, had overnight rv spots that were inexpensive. I think there was power. Close quarters and traffic noise but very convenient.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:54 AM   #10

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
A few years ago we stayed at either a Love's or Pilot truck stop. Asked permission and was told where the RV parking area was and to please park there. No charge.
Stayed overnight at a Flying J in an RV only parking spot, near the car fuel pumps. RV or not, the remaining area was filled with semis, even in the car parking area too.

Commercial truck drivers are struggling finding overnight parking space. Hard for a truck stop to tell the trucks to move when in the end, the commercial trucks pay most of the bills at a truck stop. Its one reason I prefer other overnight options, when available. In my case, it was already a long day, and the closest alternative was two hours further. I had already. driven 650 miles that day, and got a late start (breaking camp at a National Park).

Needless to say, it wasn't very quiet.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:57 AM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I seem to recall the rest areas on the interstate in one of the midwestern states, Indiana perhaps, had overnight rv spots that were inexpensive. I think there was power. Close quarters and traffic noise but very convenient.
Probably the Tollway Travel Plazas like on the Indiana Tollway along I-80.
They have parking spots with electricity hook-ups. I think some places even have a "meter" which takes cash directly (maybe even Credit/debit cards by now)

Tollway Travel Plazas are of course somewhat different from normal Interstates exits or rest areas.
Personally I think the pay spots are a great idea as long as they don't eliminate regular parking areas in the process.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 10:03 AM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Expecting a truck stop to be quiet, is the first mistake. Insisting on taking a spot where a truck is already parked, or needs to park, is the second mistake.

We stay at Flying J, Loves, etc, pretty often. But it is always a temporary stopover and never where the trucks are parked. Often, there is a McDonalds, or other parking area next to the truck stop, or as part of it, where travel trailers can park out of the way. Or a dirt lot across the street for that purpose.

Those places serve a very important role as a safety rest area for trucks, they are primarily for trucks. But travel trailers, which can slip into areas the truckers don't use, are also allowed to stay without any problems, and without any special permission. If you do it right they won't even notice you or care that you are there. Since the truck parking areas are often full at night, it is important to find a spot out of the way, instead of insisting on displacing one of them. Never take a truck parking spot.

I can see how this new idea of hookups at truck stops could become a nightmare. People are tired and feel entitled to a quiet spot, while stopping for a rest at an inherently noisy location. And then insist on getting their way. And worse, take a parking spot from a trucker who is working and must rest. And one who will be buying hundreds of gallons of fuel and doesn't need hookups. Truck stops are not state parks. Store employees are not park rangers. Trucks often run all night and you know that going in.

I appreciate the convenience of stopping at truck stops, but I will never treat it as a campground or expect it to be more than it is. And I do not park in truck spots.

Stop by, park out of the way, get some rest, get some fuel and a cup of coffee, and move on. If you don't want trucks parked two feet away from you, don't park in their parking lot. Park where cars park, or in the dirt lot, or in an out of the way spot where they don't park.

As soon as someone pays for a service of some kind, they are going to begin enforcing their perceived "rights". And complaining. That means they are going to try to force someone else to follow the "rules". And suddenly, the whole tone of the place changes. If truckers decide that travel trailers are in the way and entitled to special privileges, they will not stop at that location. Then the truck stop owners will ban parking by anyone other than trucks. Apparently, this is already beginning to happen.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:39 AM   #13

Name: Joel
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I personally think water and sewer are a mistake for this "quick stop" service, adding unnecessary infrastructure and maintenance. A central RV dump-and-fill station is sufficient.
Particularly since most of the people using these stops wouldn't be staying more than a night or two anyway.
JoelInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 11:35 AM   #14

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
I'll never forget the night that we stayed in a truck stop and parked between two tractor trailers which had refrigerator units on their trailers. We vibrated all night long and the noise was unbearable! Never again will I park where where the big rigs park! Being a retired over the road driver, I should have known better, but was dead tired. It was better than nothing.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 11:37 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Used to have to pay a quarter for the motel bed to vibrate.
Old 08-11-2022, 01:47 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17
Mount Horeb, Wisconsin
Ohio Turnpike Plazas

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Probably the Tollway Travel Plazas like on the Indiana Tollway along I-80.
They have parking spots with electricity hook-ups. I think some places even have a "meter" which takes cash directly (maybe even Credit/debit cards by now)

Tollway Travel Plazas are of course somewhat different from normal Interstates exits or rest areas.
Personally I think the pay spots are a great idea as long as they don't eliminate regular parking areas in the process.
I think Floyd may be thinking of the plazas in Ohio along I 80/90. We stopped there in May on the way back from New York, $20, electric, dump station, fairly quiet, didn't unhook, good coffee in the morning, able to use the truckers showers. Very convenient.
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:10 PM   #17

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Eggcamper
Kansas
We each have a white noise app on our phone, and listen to those apps all night long when its noisy via headband headphones. This helps us get a decent night's sleep, even when someone is parked 2' away.

Nancy
Ruban&Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 09:33 AM   #18

Name: Bill
Trailer: Escape
Wisconsin
Travel stops

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
We have stayed at Love's, Pilots, and Flying J's many times over the years, most have separate parking for semi trucks. We usually just fill-up then find a good place to park then go in to get something to eat. Most often there are two parking spots in line which works great for a Ranger and a Scamp.
sometimes we just park out of the way along the curb.
Sometimes they even have dedicated RV and light trailer parking.

Parking with the trucks can be a bit noisy. If that bothers you, you can find a spot in the car lot or...

The quietest places along the road are often CrackerBarrels. They have great parking, often with grassy areas next to them and you wake up to the smell of a great breakfast!
Overall the more rural the better
I agree, for overnight stops when traveling, we hit the no cost stops until we get to where we want to be. At the truck stops we park along a curb, go in and shower in the morning, get coffee, fuel, and go. We try and stay away from the semi's.

The Cracker barrels are always nice but again these are quick overnights without any showers.