Luck and Life - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2014, 02:23 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Luck and Life

I remember my son's little league coach telling the kids "Luck is what losers say winners have". The coach was a college professor and he would gather the kids virtually every day for practice. They were perennial winners.

Today we visited with a former co-worker's family. His son, someone I mentored when he was of high school age, is a young college professor in China.

We were chit chatting talking about RVing. I mentioned that this was year 14 of our extended yearly travels, Suddenly it hit me...14 years is a long time... and better yet it's not over yet. I actually never think about how long it's been. Though Ginny and I always feel fortunate to be living life on the road.

Our young professor's Chinese wife suggested that I should write a book. I tried to explaining that writing a book is really working and I have chosen to travel, not work.

Life is a series of choices, make good choices.

Sometimes you do something over and over with out thinking about how special it is. Today it struck me in an unusual way.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:45 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'm beginning to worry a little about you Norm, all these profound posts you have posted lately!!
Old 08-02-2014, 03:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Our young professor's Chinese wife suggested that I should write a book. I tried to explaining that writing a book is really working and I have chosen to travel, not work.
From my perspective, you've already done most of the work. You've done much of the writing in your posts here over the years. All that is left is to find them, collate the information and edit.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:57 PM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Thumbs up

Yes, I agree, whole heartedly….although most of his early posts were about towing, now they are more about life experienced...
Old 08-02-2014, 04:30 PM   #5

Florida
Jim,

It's age. Every now and then I get 'off' a little bit. Though it's interesting how much our travels have come to mean. In my life, other than marriage, I've never done anything for more than 5 years and here I am extended RVing for 14 years. No one who knew me in my previous 'lives' would believe it.

It was a very thought provoking visit today. So much of it was about China and their culture and the driven nature of so many of the people.

I once had a Chinese engineer who worked for me. She fell in love with a technician who also worked for me. She could not marry him until he earned his engineering degree. To her family it was like the technician had not come of age without official education.

A book is always a possibility but it would only happen after our travels. My daughter-in-law tried to pull me and other members of the family into writing a 30 day book (time from start to finish). Impressively she did finish.

So much to do in a really limited time frame, sort of like the movie 'Blade Runner'.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-02-2014, 06:35 PM   #6

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Norm if your ever traveling through North Carolina Blue Ridge Mountains. I have a 30 amp plug and dump at my house for a pit stop. Best of travels.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:45 PM   #7

Florida
Thank you Ted, I'd love to one of these days like wise to Southern NH. We're usually here from July thru October.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-03-2014, 01:32 PM   #8

Florida
Today I had a call from an old high school friend interested in getting together. It made me stop and think about small things and small choices. When we were in high school he invited me to stop by his house after school. He asked do you know where I live. In a smart guy I said '5 to 1' I do. He lived at 521 Oak St. He thought I was so clever to know his address. Actually just stupid luck.

Regardless it made me realize how small, seemingly unimportant decisions, can have big effects on one's life. Something just barely negligible can lead you to really bad or good situations. For us, it's led us to living on the road.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-03-2014, 02:07 PM   #9

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Norm...love your posts. One way to document your "thoughts" is to record them verbally. Like talking to yourself, only out loud. Along with those you have already posted here. It would be great. I'll bet there is an "APP" for that!!.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #10

Florida
Another positive aspect of our RV retirement is more time to consider.....

Some considerations are subjects I would pass over in my workaday world, just from having too many demands, formerly racing here and there to meet deadlines.

The RV life is also a chance to think about oneself, to continue to slowly change. The new life in a measure is a re-birth, a chance to be a somewhat different person.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16