Lunch stops.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2017, 11:36 AM   #1

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
Lunch stops....

in a thread about mileage somebody said: "I’m not that concerned with mileage. I figure the amount saved on lodging and food more than compensates for the fuel costs"...

it reminded me that one aspect of RVing was a complete surprise to me when I started hauling a trailer around.....LUNCH STOPS ! and it is one small aspect of the whole experience that I really enjoy. I was not ready for the enjoyment I get from making my own lunch in my trailer and enjoying it in a beautiful spot instead of finding a greasy spoon somewhere on the side of the road...

On Vancouver Island (east coast), here are three favorites of mine....if I am anywhere close by I try to time my trip for a stop at these locations

the last one in Port Hardy (just south of PH proper) even features a very nice, deserted and FREE sani-station!!! gotta like that

Happy Motoring.
Attached Thumbnails
lstop2.jpg   lstop1.jpg  

lstop3.jpg   ggc.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:09 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
We enjoy that too. I don't mind pressing on when there is a real destination in mind, but being open to stops for any reason, that turn into lunch stops, or a look at an interesting site, a picture opportunity or just a chance to stretch my legs, is a good thing.

I really don't want to have lunch in a restaurant while on the road. Breakfast, OK, but a scenic and leisurely stop in the middle of the day is great.

Often, when we stop for a look at an interesting store, or to make lunch, or to pick up supplies, someone wants to ask about the trailer.

All part of the fun while wandering.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:39 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Humm, yes, we all know about those "greasy spoons by the side of the road".... I took a picture of the last one I encountered....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1000.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	114024

Raspy, I have checked my OK map for Breakfast, OK but I can't find it....

But I agree completely about the pleasures of a lunch break while trailering. Here's one place where I stopped and made myself a sandwich... but I couldn't stay in the trailer to eat lunch because it was just too nice outside.... Yosemite NP.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010204 sm.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	341.0 KB
ID:	114025
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 01:13 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Mike,

Do your license plates still say.... "Oklahoma is OK"?

Used to be, when someone referred the their TV, I though they were talking about a television.

Living near Reno, NV, I always get a jolt when someone plans to reno their trailer. What?

Old 11-25-2017, 07:02 PM   #5

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Used to be, when someone referred the their TV, I though they were talking about a television.
Good to know I'm not alone, I thought that too.
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:10 AM   #6

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We used to travel with some good friends. At lunch time we’d look for a park with picnic tables, carry our food to the table and fix and eat. We’d usually cook and eat together at a picnic table in a campground. They’d be fixing at one end of the table and we were at the other end. We’d eat in the middle. Can’t remember where but one campground had double spaces so two RVs could be in the same site. That was nice too. Unfortunately we don’t have any friends anymore who travel and camp together. We’re all old farts but my girlfriend and I are the only ones still traveling. All the others are still alive too. IMO, most activities are better when shared with someone else.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:34 AM   #7

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I really liked that about having a motorhome, too. Before my Bigfoot, I had a small Toyota motorhome. In terrible weather, I could just pull over somewhere, go straight from the driver seat into the coach, make some lunch and sit there looking out the window eating lunch.

Really nice. I love my trailer but there's something even more comfy and cozy about a motorhome...

I love finding nice little breakfast and lunch places on the road, but the option of eating "at home" while on the road is really nice to have.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:38 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
My solution is to stop for the day by lunchtime (usually between 1:00 & 2:00. I know it won't work for those with limited vacation time that need to put in as many miles per day as possible, but it works for me since I'm retired & never in a hurry.

It also makes it much easier to travel without reservations. Stopping in the middle of the day get you to campgrounds before the crowds. I've only been turned away once or twice on a trip, and then always find something nearby. So far, in over 100,000 miles, I haven't needed to stay in a Walmart parking lot!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote