Machias Blueberry Festival - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-12-2015, 08:51 AM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Machias Blueberry Festival

Machias Wild Blueberry Festival - Maine: Official Site

Ginny and I leave for 5 days for the Machias (Maine) Blueberry Festival. We made reservations at Sunset Point Campground in Harrington, ME and did order their lobster dinner.

A number of our RV friends have stayed there this year. It's a small park that caters to people traveling in RVs, not seasonal RVers.

Yesterday we had RV Scamp guests a couple we met at the Scamp Camp. They attempted to make a reservation at Sunset Point and were told they were full. Even so they stopped by to check it out after camping somewhere else. The owner said... just stop by even if we're full, we can always fit a Scamp in.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:16 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
That looks like fun, Norm, may try to stop either to/from Canada next summer.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:20 AM   #3

Pennsylvania
Registry
Is there any camping closer to Machias?
Old 08-12-2015, 11:33 AM   #4

Florida
Jim, there are a lot of campgrounds in the area. When you click on the festival link you'll see lodging at the top. Lodging includes about a dozen campgrounds. We've stayed at some of them. We figure 20 miles is not too far to drive and we absolutely love Sunset Point.

Sunset Point Campground - Home | Campgrounds Maine Coast | RV Parks Maine | Recreational Vehicle Camp Sites Maine

I just looked on the list and I see there's a RV park on the way to Roques Bluff, one of our favorite spots. We've golfed there but before we ever thought about RVs. I'll check it out this trip.

Your in a county half the size of CT and with about 35,000 people, it makes for low density traffic. This was before RVing one of our planned escape places. Like NL when have driven every road, even the little ones. WE have a Delorme road map of Maine.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-12-2015, 11:42 AM   #5

Pennsylvania
Registry
Which cg's have lobster. When we stayed at a KOA in Bar Harbor in 2013 a fellow named Clayton, who is a fixture there was preparing them for the campers, really nice. He steams using the ocean water.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:30 PM   #6

Florida
Sunset Point Campground...comes on a plate with the utensils. It's almost the only place we stay in the area, though we did stay at another small campground that Ginny will look up for you this week. Only 6 sites but a very noce place and nice owners.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-12-2015, 01:01 PM   #7

Florida
Ginny says the little campground we stayed in was in Addison, ME.. Pleasant River.

Outside of NL we've only stayed in a KOA once. In NL there is a KOA near the Festival where we stay. It's a little expensive but close to the festival and hate to drive far at night. The Moose always win.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-13-2015, 11:14 AM   #8

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
We stayed at Sunset Point this summer after Norm and Ginny recommended it.
We ordered lobster...it was great and the price was near half what we paid for the same ( but had it as take out) from a lobster pound in Belfast, Maine.
If I ever find myself in Maine again I know wher we will be camping.
BEWARE of a similar named campground in Lubec, Maine....we checked it out and it looked like pickles in a jar...campers packed in on top of each other!

The best is Sunset Point in Harrington, Maine and don't forget to order your lobsters upon arrival!

Happy Camping!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:55 PM   #9

Florida
Patrick we have two lobsters coming shortly. We're in site 7 and the place is full. I asked him if he would be open in time for our NL Caravan in 2016 and he said yes. I'm sure a number of people will stop here including me on the way north and the way south..

We just got tickets to tonight's performance, music and a show. Lucky us some one had turned in tickets.

Tomorrow morning a tour of a blueberry farm after a day of fun it will end with a church fish fry..... Fasting after this trip.

By the way this is a passport park in May.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-13-2015, 02:13 PM   #10

North Carolina
Maine....the way life should be....Lobsters and Blueberries......who could ask for anything more....except a little more drawn butter!

Norm you are making me hungry....Lobster go on special at our local supermarket starting this Sunday...I'll be thinking of you and Ginny as I crack open their shells....Happy Camping....safe trip!
Old 08-13-2015, 02:27 PM   #11

Florida
Patrick,

It's such a lovely little campground, just the right size. Just the size you'd like to own.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-13-2015, 03:00 PM   #12

North Carolina
Yes the size is manageable and the location is excellent...but...remember you are retired so ownership is a no-no as that would end retirement and your endless travels!

Tell me about your NL caravan scheduled for next year...still trying to figure out what that "NL" stands for...???

Happy Camping
Old 08-13-2015, 03:24 PM   #13

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
This sounds like great fun! I am following it with great interest and hope to be there next year with Darling new Husband and Camper in Tow!
We are bringing either the Lovebug or the Eriba Puck out East to Virgina and
hope to camp up and down the coast. Maine would be one of my first destinations!

Some years ago, I parked at Acadia National Park in one of the small little side campgrounds of the park and once on top of the ocean, in a very quiet spot. It was heavenly.

Best wishes for a great trip all of you! I'll be eagerly waiting for updates!
Cheers!
Gigi
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:47 PM   #14

Florida
Lobster LOvers

We're at Sunset Point Campground in Harrison, ME. They offer lobsters delivered to your rig. Here's our 3.5 lbs of lobster.

Tonight we're going to here a little music and go to a blueberry play. Pictures attached.
Attached Thumbnails
201Ginny Lobster.jpg   norms Lobster.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-13-2015, 03:57 PM   #15

Florida
NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Yes the size is manageable and the location is excellent...but...remember you are retired so ownership is a no-no as that would end retirement and your endless travels!

Tell me about your NL caravan scheduled for next year...still trying to figure out what that "NL" stands for...???

Happy Camping
NL means Newfoundland. SOme people call it heaven on earth...

Take a look at the thread. WE have 18 rigs going next May.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...6-a-70578.html

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-13-2015, 08:01 PM   #16

Florida
The History of the Blueberry Part 1

This is the performance for four nights this week, tickets $15. After seeing iy I would have gladly paid more. The opening scene is about 20 monks dressed in blueberry blue robes and hoods that perform a Gregorian chant about blueberries...every song was about blueberries and all very clever. It's hard to believe there are that many people that can sing and play so well in this little community.

The play was small town America with joyous people performing... and doing it extremely well. I had low expectations, expecting local minstrel quality. I came away with dancing feet, clapped out hands and a full heart. There is no one who would not love this show, Tomorrow I'm going to check if it's basically the same performance every year.

It's good that we did not come here 20 years ago, because I would have come back a dozen times.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-14-2015, 06:31 AM   #17

Florida
Tradition

We have never gone to the BB Festival though we've known about it for some 20 years. Family tradition in a sense prevented us from traveling on our birthdays, (except for the really faraway places)mine the 15th and Ginny's the 24th. Finally I said time to break that rule.

We'll be celebrating mine without family. It's been a couple of months since we traveled in the Scamp. It feels great. The kids gave us each braclets that monitor our sleep. They show we slept better in our little Scamp bed than we do at home. Is it the peace of the road? Is it the sheer fun we had last night? or was it the two huge lobsters we ate?

We just finished our usual breakfast and are getting ready to hike over the barrens os a blueberry farm. I'm sure we'll come aways with plenty of blueberries, loaded with anti-oxidants to cure what ails us.

The loudest thing I hear is the fridge's fan. This campground is 3 miles from Route 1, on a virtually untraveled road, though route 1 this far north is not much traveled. In some measure it's about escaping, escaping what you can't control, escaping what you can't fix. There is peace away.

Small spaces are easy to manage spaces. What do you really need?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-14-2015, 09:22 AM   #18

North Carolina
Now I'm really hungry!!...Enjoy!

A friend who once lived in Maine said that the real Maine doesn't start until you get north of Ellsworth. Having traveled the entire coast from Kittery in the south to Calais/Lubec in the north I tend to agree with him. The southern Maine coast is like Disneyland on steroids!

I'll check out that caravan trip's link....is it open to non-Fiberglass trailers or are you folks exclusive?
Old 08-14-2015, 06:42 PM   #19

Name: Nancy & Dan
Trailer: Casita
Michigan
Talking

Norm, can you tell us how much that Lobster cost. My husband is having a hankering!
Nancy from MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:09 PM   #20

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi View Post
This sounds like great fun! I am following it with great interest and hope to be there next year with Darling new Husband and Camper in Tow!
We are bringing either the Lovebug or the Eriba Puck out East to Virgina and
hope to camp up and down the coast. Maine would be one of my first destinations!

Some years ago, I parked at Acadia National Park in one of the small little side campgrounds of the park and once on top of the ocean, in a very quiet spot. It was heavenly.

Best wishes for a great trip all of you! I'll be eagerly waiting for updates!
Cheers!
Gigi
Gigi
Where and when in Virginia? Might be fun to join you for a day or two.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote