Make your Trailer Level without tire shims - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2010, 07:17 PM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Make your Trailer Level without tire shims

Found this in JC Whitney's RV section - By BAL RV group - has anyone used this? Description and photo is below. Cost is 90$

LIGHT TRAILER TIRE LEVELER
  • Levels any single-axle light trailer from side to side in minutes!

Lifts the tire-no pressure put on trailer chassis
  • Fits most 13", 14" or 15" tires
Easy! Park trailer. Place leveler around low-side tire and ratchet screw until trailer is level. Eliminates the need for moving trailer onto blocks or ramps to level. Heavy-duty tubular steel with corrosion-resistant finish. Includes ratchet.
Attached Images

Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yep and LOVE IT! But you can find them alot cheaper than that online.... here's a thread where it was discussed: Problems in using boards to level trailer!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I have not used this, but there have been a number of threads talking about it. Most people seemed to love it. I think the main potential negatives I read about are that it weighs a bit and is dirty to store/transport. Several people said that an insulated pizza delivery bag made a great transport bag.

I searched "bal leveler" and came up with these:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ler-32712.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ler-37230.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ler-28059.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...s-25872-2.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-me-27441.html
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:47 PM   #4

Registry
Oh heck, and I thought I was onto something new...
I'm not sure that I want to carry 'greasy heavy' things along with me. I'll have to do some reading.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:48 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
I LOVE mine!!
It is heavy - but I still have the box it came in so storage is fairly easy and clean.
Makes getting level really easy - no backing back and forth and checking repeatedly.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
"Heavy" is subjective. Shipping weight is only 14 lbs. In the grand scheme of things I don't consider that heavy...

Here's a cheaper one for you Pam: Amazon.com: BAL R.V. Products Group 28050 Light Trailer Tire Leveler: Automotive: Reviews, Prices & more
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:20 PM   #7

Registry
Thanks, Donna, from reading the Amazon reviews, a lot of people really like this. And there is no additoinal shipping with Amazon (I LOVE their free super shipping!)
Maybe this is deserving of a second thought.

OMG, now I have something else to buy
Old 11-02-2010, 08:41 PM   #8

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
California
I don't have one, but I do see one great advantage. I believe it will chock the wheel as well, stabilizing the trailer much better. Anyone with any feedback on that aspect?
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
It makes a good chock Charlie, most times I don't even bother chocking the other wheel. Unless of course I'm on a front to back slope.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:43 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
We're happy using boards. Cheap & convenient. We've often driven off leaving a board or 2 behind in our haste. But so do a lot of other people, & we've picked up as many boards as we've left behind.
Ellen B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:47 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Ellen
My newer 5th wheel Scamp is raised only 3" but when I pull into a campsite and throw out all my chocks and blocks my neighbors think I am going to build a deck, especially when the Dewalt drill comes out to adjust the landing gears.
I have a system and it is not hard at all to get it set up level in just a few minutes.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:51 AM   #12

Name: Larry
Trailer: Trillium
Arizona
BAL - Very Useful

Hi, I have used the little BAL leveler with great success. Attached is a photo of it at a quite steep camp site
at Bryce Canyon. The site would have been unusable without it... it is at maximum extension as is the tongue
jack. I still use shims sometimes on almost level areas, but the BAL is worth having along.
Larry H

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trill ProppedUP.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	31947
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:38 AM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Oh heck, and I thought I was onto something new...
I'm not sure that I want to carry 'greasy heavy' things along with me. I'll have to do some reading.
While I am sure the Bal leveler is nice, I have found my yellow "Lego" blocks to work conveniently and well. After some practice I can accurately determine my lego configuration with a simple look at a level placed on my countertop next to the sink. I have built-in storage for them under my bike rack which always keeps them handy when setting up.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...s-8-pack/43849
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2023 RAV4 Trail
Ontario
BAL Leveler verses Lynx Leveler blocks.

Pam;
I bought and have one of these and have used it OK several times. HOWEVER, I much prefer the fluorescent orange Lynx Leveler blocks and have 'standardized' on them. Even to use the BAL Leveler, you often have to drive up on a block to slide the leveler under the trailer, due to sloping or lumpy ground.
As you may have read, I broke my plumbing system using long boards, when one flipped up while I was pulling forward and got caught in the grey water dump handle! DON'T use long boards!
A set of Lynx leveler blocks in a carrying bag and a few chocks (ESSENTIAL) are cleaner, lighter and cheaper and easier to use than the BAL Leveler - IMHO!
Good luck with whatever you choose.
Mike - whose Bigfoot is winterized, covered and sleeping soundly!

Quote:
Found this in JC Whitney's RV section - By BAL RV group - has anyone used this? Description and photo is below. Cost is 90$

Easy! Park trailer. Place leveler around low-side tire and ratchet screw until trailer is level. Eliminates the need for moving trailer onto blocks or ramps to level. Heavy-duty tubular steel with corrosion-resistant finish. Includes ratchet.
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #15

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
We use the Dewalt drill and the yellow rampy thing but that does look slick.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:20 PM   #16

Trailer: 1981 Boler 13 ft / 2005 Dodge Caravan
Registry
Quote:

Hi Pam.This is one of the first things we purchased after we got our Boler.Love it.Quick and easy.Trailer is level in no time.Some find it a bit heavy but heck we carry a lot of things that are heavier and don't have the value added aspect.We bought a small duffel bag to transport it in.Pat.
Pat C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #17

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
This does look intreasting! Not sure I can put it on my must have list just yet though as I have the same Ramble blocks Floyd uses. I find them easy to use, light and take little space to stow. They are cheap and way easier to carry than the wood planks and blocks I used the first year. :-) When not in use under the trailer wheels the blocks can have other uses - I often use them under the rear jacks as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:16 PM   #18

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
We carry several lengths of 2x8 lumber (about 12 to 18 inches each) in the back of the truck, plus some extras for under the jacks for a stable set.
In most camp sites, once you've chosen a fairly level spot, backing up or driving forward on a length of 2x8 placed under one tire is sufficient to level the trailer, after checking the bubbles. Low tech, and cheap.
I have also seen the BAL in use. Nice product, but a lot more work than just using one short plank in most situations.
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:01 PM   #19

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi B. View Post
We use the Dewalt drill and the yellow rampy thing but that does look slick.
What do you all use the Dewalt drill for?????????

I have the ball leveler and have had trouble getting it around my wheel. It is heavy but --------once on the wheel no one is going to hook up your camper and take off with it while you are out hiking. It is also a good theft preventative.
Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:05 PM   #20

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Karalyn:

To put the jacks down on the 5th wheel. Otherwise you would be all day at it.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote