Man in the Van - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2015, 06:21 AM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Man in the Van

Not about Fiberglass trailers but it's in a measure about fiberglass owners, at least some of us, people willing to step out of the normal bounds of life,

Top Blue Jays prospect Daniel Norris lives by his own code

Be sure to watch the video.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:51 AM   #2

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Very cool! Thanks Norm!!
Old 03-06-2015, 08:29 AM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Sounds like a great kid. Hope fame and fortune doesn't change him too much.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:25 AM   #4

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Talk about rags to riches! Thanks Norm!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:24 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
It's about values

It's wonderful to see a professional athlete with values worthy of emulation: simplicity, moderation, consideration.

Thanks, Norm.
Martin B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:53 AM   #6

Florida
Nicely put Martin.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-06-2015, 08:08 PM   #7

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2008
What a great read. Thanks for posting that Norm. Zen-like enjoyment of the little things in life and not getting too caught up in the world of "stuff, stuff, and more stuff" Good for him and a fine example for others.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:54 AM   #8

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Great find, Norm...thanx for sharing
Old 03-07-2015, 09:37 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Good parents...

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 04:06 PM   #10

Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
Virginia
What a neat guy, with a great attitude on life. Now, if I could only pitch.
Stan and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 04:12 PM   #11

Name: Gary
Trailer: 1976 13' Scamp
Michigan
Saw this on MLB.COM while I was waiting for the Cubs to play! Good story.
boats19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:55 AM   #12

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I'm sorry but I don't see what the rest of you see. I see a spoiled, lazy, big kid jock just playing. Yes he has not blown his money, but living in a van in a Wal Mart parking lot with 2 million dollars in the bank? Come on. I get the freedom and travel and love of playing the game. But couldn't he do that while living in a decent apartment or even mobile home? I would be a lot more impressed if I had read about how he was giving back to disadvantaged youth, volunteered, or was getting an education during his off time instead of loafing around surfing out of a broken down van. Now I am not down on this guy at all, he is not bothering me any, but neither do I see any reason to hold him up an example to emulate.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:45 AM   #13

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
I do think he needs to be held up to be admired. With all the bad behavior on the news with these young athletes, it's good to see someone out there not constantly partying, beating one of his long string of girlfriends, or blowing thru their money living large for the moment and being destitute at 35.

Imagine his feeling of independence. He's already got all the money he would ever need to continue to live how he chooses. He can concentrate on his passion of baseball while he still has it, or change direction and pursue something else.

He's got no more or less obligation to help the disadvantaged or poor than any one of us does. Maybe he'll get involved in charity work some day, or maybe he won't. Maybe he does things that haven't made the press? I'd much more admire someone that does those things without the cameras and the self aggrandizement that seems to be the norm these days. Regardless, it should not be any gauge for judgement for a person, no more than it should be for how we would judge you.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:21 AM   #14

Florida
Tim,

Just some thoughts.... I don't see a lazy young man.

Becoming a top prospect requires 1,000's of hours of hard work and practice, practice for years, one reason few achieve success. It's not simply being blessed with birth ability but application of self to hone the ability.

We have a nephew that plays high school baseball. In addition to the high school schedule he plays fall ball and in the winter he spends part of every week in the batting cage and weight room and he's only in high school.

It says a lot that he has not appeared to waste the $2M of capital that his earlier efforts have provided. Many young people with similar ability quickly spend the money gained.

"In the book Outliers, author Malcolm Gladwell says that it takes roughly ten thousand hours of practice to achieve mastery in a field. How does Gladwell arrive at this conclusion? And, if the conclusion is true, how can we leverage this idea to achieve greatness in our professions?

Gladwell studied the lives of extremely successful people to find out how they achieved success. This article will review a few examples from Gladwell’s research, and conclude with some thoughts for moving forward.

Violins in Berlin

In the early 1990s, a team of psychologists in Berlin, Germany studied violin students. Specifically, they studied their practice habits in childhood, adolescence, and adulthood. All of the subjects were asked this question: “Over the course of your entire career, ever since you first picked up the violin, how many hours have you practiced?”

All of the violinists had begun playing at roughly five years of age with similar practice times. However, at age eight, practice times began to diverge. By age twenty, the elite performers averaged more than 10,000 hours of practice each, while the less able performers had only 4,000 hours of practice.

The elite had more than double the practice hours of the less capable performers."

I used to be in the music industry and knew many music stars. I was always impressed by their practice schedules and hours.

I'm generally not impressed with the phrase 'giving back', to me giving back implies some measure of owing to another. I am a 'giver' but never do it from the perspective of giving back.

Not that you meant this, but in some measure there is a serious amount of attacking of successful people and companies in this country instead of emulation and praise. I always wonder when I read of real achievers. Here I see a person that probably worked incredibly hard and has a measure of balance in his life.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-08-2015, 08:39 AM   #15

Pennsylvania
Registry
Norm, the sage of FGRV.....well said.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:49 AM   #16

Florida
Jim, If you haven't read Outliers, it's a great read about differentiators, things that make a difference, like the month you're born.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-08-2015, 09:05 AM   #17

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
This is a guy I would like to meet. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, I will be following his progress now. I would much rather read things like this any day over how an athlete or someone who has made it big just wastes away and does nothing but foolish things with all that fame and fortune.
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:21 AM   #18

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyEd View Post
This is a guy I would like to meet. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, I will be following his progress now. I would much rather read things like this any day over how an athlete or someone who has made it big just wastes away and does nothing but foolish things with all that fame and fortune.
Yes, like some of our professional athletes. Another reason why I refuse to attend paid sporting events. We will not mention names in particular but there are dozens in football, baseball, basketball and so on.