Maps and time traveled…. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-06-2014, 01:26 PM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Maps and time traveled….

Although i have a Rand McNally GPS made for rv's and I really enjoy it, the maps on their website and my computer do not like one another. In attempting to plan a long trip I always lose something. Is there any website that allows you to prepare in advance stops for fuel or rest. I have some maps with cg's and others with Cracker Barrels and others with Flying J fuel but in planning a 3000 mile trip I'd like to know where I'll be when I need to stop for fuel or food or rest. In other words, assuming I get 15 mpg and a 25 gallon tank, around 250 miles or after 4 hours I start looking for a stop. But I have no way knowing where on my route I'll be, without getting out my abacus or slide rule.
Google follows you on the map as you click each detail which is helpful, but none I can find gives me time traveled. Does anyone have any better alternates? Thanks...
Old 04-06-2014, 01:33 PM   #2

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
I like this one: AAA Travel Planning: Use AAA Travel Services for Discounts, Destination Guides, Maps & More!
You can set it to show campgrounds, restaurants, gas stations, etc. I used it on a trip across the US and back, and had good luck with it.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:19 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Maybe you and still go to AAA and ask for a "Strip Map Book".

That worked for us before Computers, GPS, Nav Systems, Smart phones, and apps.... And there used to be a pen thingy that you could push alone the may to figure distances, they were always advertised in the back of the Bat Man Comics (ooop, I mean "Graphic Novels" LOL///

When I asked for a "Tablet" it was usually for either a Tylenol or a No-Doz.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:24 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Good Sam's has a trip planner on their website and it shows CG's on your route. I did not really use it other than finding a GC on my last trip. I'm sure they will also show Flying J's.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:24 PM   #5

Name: Tim
Trailer: Escape
Rhode Island
Take a look at Microsoft's Streets and Trips. I believe it will do what you want.
OneTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:34 PM   #6

Virginia
Quote:
Microsoft's Streets and Trips
costs $40!!!
Old 04-06-2014, 05:58 PM   #7

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by blodn1 View Post
costs $40!!!
Streets and trips SW do not longer exist. But (to my experience) it was the best trip planning software. RIP to S&T. There are no more USEABLE alternatives anymore...

PS. I run Linux on my computers and can't use Windows software. But I still admit - S&T was the best. Current alternatives (including Google Maps) are POS.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:21 PM   #8

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
hmnnnn.. I guess I am a little bit casual. I don't have a GPS (Yet, but my relatives keep threatening)

I just use a road atlas, and I know my set up well enough to know when it is time to get gas. Gauge or no. It just happens along the way..whatever station is there, I use. With a 17 gallon tank, even a few cents more per gallon than "That other place" is not going to break the bank.

I do research before hand on the web for places to stay, and set goals, but sometimes even that goes out the window based on how I feel, what looks interesting and what my "kids" are acting like. (With just one dog now, with an iron bladder, I travel much farther and faster than I used to)
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:10 PM   #9

Virginia
West Texas is not a place to be gas-casual. I left San Antonio for El Paso one morning with 3/4 tank. There was ONE gas station about half way. Even in the Prius, I was on fumes coasting into the station, but I was soooo glad to be there! Anyway, I now gas up before departure and check gas maps in unfamiliar territory.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:18 PM   #10

Name: Tim
Trailer: Escape
Rhode Island
I believe Streets and Trips is still being produced.

http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/2380-r...-streets-trips
OneTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:58 AM   #11

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
If you want to know where you'll be after driving for "X" hours, you can use this web site to get a rough idea. Obviously, towing will sometimes be a bit slower than legal highway speeds.

Isochronous Application V0.8
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:00 AM   #12

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Streets and trips SW do not longer exist.
Microsoft still thinks it does.
Streets & Trips

There is a 14 day free trial available for download:
Download Streets & Trips 2013 Trial from Official Microsoft Download Center

Some of the versions come with a USB GPS receiver unit. I found a white boxed version with the GPS at an electronics discounter at a good price a few years back. The GPS also worked with my Dell Axim.

Here is a review on it: http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/2380-r...-streets-trips which contains an interesting comment.
"Microsoft targets the application at the consumer market, yet it is being used widely by professionals and companies. A more expensive version, which can be controlled programmatically, is targeted specifically at the business market, and is called Microsoft MapPoint (link)."

Jim, download the trial version. If you like it you can buy it. I'll sell you my pharos GPS unit that goes with it at a good price. Microsoft restickered the pharos unit as their own.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:58 AM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 19
Arizona
I use the Flying J magazine to plan my gas stops. I have found that Flying J has about the lowest price on gas, in any given area. Loves's also has a blooklet of all their gas station locations, and their shower prices are a bit better then Flying J's prices. I find that if I work on the top half of my fuel tank that I never get caught short. I also on long trips carry an extra 5 gal. can of gas for the times that I want to go off my track, and could use a bit extra gas.
captsteve2002 is offline   Reply With Quote