Massachusetts to Florida - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2021, 09:56 AM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Massachusetts to Florida

Please don't politicize this thread!!

I will be leaving for Florida in a couple of weeks. I am wondering what to expect for gas prices on the highway during the trip. For instance here in South Coast MA I can find it at $3.15 but on the highway ? maybe $.25 more?

The states I am interested in are NY, PA, OH, KY, TN, and GA.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 09:57 AM   #2

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Try Gasbuddy. You can put in a location and it will show gas prices in the vicinity. It's not 100% accurate since it relies on people reporting the prices.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 10:01 AM   #3

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
Try Gasbuddy. You can put in a location and it will show gas prices in the vicinity. It's not 100% accurate since it relies on people reporting the prices.
I did but Gasbuddy kind of lists the cheapest prices and I keep hearing reports of 4 and 5 dollar gas even on the East coast.
Old 11-18-2021, 10:07 AM   #4

New Hampshire
What I do is I set the location to cities and towns on my route and use that to plan where I gas up. I also check the next stop while getting gas. Typically the price won't fluctuate that much in a few hours.

Ok, the app gives you more choices than the website. They used to work the same way so they changed the site.
Old 11-18-2021, 10:53 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I searched gas tax by state figuring that gives some indication. PA is the highest in your list, double some of the others. Toll roads tend to be higher as do close to the exit stations. I was in traffic once near Chicago when the low on gas light came on. Got to the station on fumes. $4 a gallon, no problem. Since then at half a tank I fill.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 11:06 AM   #6

New Hampshire
I usually don't quibble over ten or twenty cents difference. If I have to drive more than a couple miles out of my way it just isn't worth it since any savings are wasted driving miles that are not productive.
Old 11-18-2021, 12:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I think that Alex has it about right.

Fact is you can save time and money by simply reducing your cruising speed by 5mph and take an extra 10 seconds to accelerate to 60MPH.
Anticipate stops and lift early, coast more and brake less.

Good driving habits and longer times between stops can save as much as 20% on fuel costs and you won't have to drive out of your way to seek a few cents savings.

Small savings can also be had by making sure you have good tire pressures and drive during the times of day when the winds are calmer.

If your TV has more than 20,000 miles on it you can improve fuel consumption by adding a bottle of Pro-Gard fuel injection cleaner and replacing your engine's air filter pretrip.

Sticking to Interstate Highways allows you to maintain a steady speed without stop and go, which will save over side roads.

1200 miles at 20MPG is 60gallons
1200 miles at 16mpg is 75gallons
In this example the difference is 15 gallons.

At $3 per gallon, 60 gallons is $180
At $3.50 per gallon, 60 gallons is $210.
Fix an extra meal in your camper instead of stopping at CrackerBarrel and you've made up the difference.

The principles are correct, the particulars may vary, but overall a few small adjustments can make the trip more enjoyable while still more economical.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 04:44 PM   #8
vin

Name: vince
Trailer: escape
Georgia
Gas $

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
Please don't politicize this thread!!

I will be leaving for Florida in a couple of weeks. I am wondering what to expect for gas prices on the highway during the trip. For instance here in South Coast MA I can find it at $3.15 but on the highway ? maybe $.25 more?

The states I am interested in are NY, PA, OH, KY, TN, and GA.
Ga. $3.19, Pa.30 to 40 cents more according to my cousin in w.pa. My son in N.C. said about the same as Ga. likewise for Tenn. I live in the Atlanta area. We will be two weeks behind you heading to Fla.
vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 11:25 AM   #9

Drive slower (60mph) and your mileage will be much better.
drd715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 11:26 AM   #10

Trailer: Boler
Pennsylvania has the highest gas taxes in the country (25 cents higher than New York) so when we traveled from Georgia to upstate New York I always filled up in northern Virginia before crossing Maryland and entering Pennsylvania. Walmart supercenters usually have some of the cheapest gas. I'd suggest going down I-81 as it's a lot nicer drive than I-95.
Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 12:38 PM   #11

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walter View Post
Pennsylvania has the highest gas taxes in the country (25 cents higher than New York) so when we traveled from Georgia to upstate New York I always filled up in northern Virginia before crossing Maryland and entering Pennsylvania. Walmart supercenters usually have some of the cheapest gas. I'd suggest going down I-81 as it's a lot nicer drive than I-95.
Yes, this has been true the past three years. I stay out of New Jersey. I go through Port Jervis and on to 81. Last year I visited a friend in Ohio and then got on 75 all the way to Tampa.

There is a "short-cut" to go from 84 to 80 that I tried last year. It is route 209 on the PA side of the Delaware river. So many truckers used to use it that the towns have stopped them. I am still up in the air about the short cut.
Old 11-24-2021, 02:46 PM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Quote:

There is a "short-cut" to go from 84 to 80 that I tried last year. It is route 209 on the PA side of the Delaware river. So many truckers used to use it that the towns have stopped them. I am still up in the air about the short cut.
I used to live in that area. Rt 209 was known as the Ho Chi Minh trail. The government was going to flood that area at the delaware water gap and drove a lot people off their land. It never happened.

When we go south from Syracuse we take 81 to Bluefield then 77 to 26 to 95. Coming back we usually take back US hiways and see the sights along the way.
Old 11-24-2021, 03:39 PM   #13

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
[QUOTE=CarlD;

When we go south from Syracuse we take 81 to Bluefield then 77 to 26 to 95. Coming back we usually take back US hiways and see the sights along the way.[/QUOTE]

We are in the Albany NY area, so we take the NY Thruway down to 84, then over to 81 in Scranton, then 77, 26, and 95 down to Florida. We have bypassed Scranton by taking 380 down to 80 and then over to 81. A couple times we went east to 29 in VA and then south. Depended on what campgrounds we wanted to stay at on the way. 209 is somewhat scenic, but slow speed.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 04:09 PM   #14

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
I used to live in that area. Rt 209 was known as the Ho Chi Minh trail.
I didn't call it the Ho Chi Minh trail because I didn't know if it was common knowledge. It definitely has slower speeds and driving through little towns. I don't know if it is worth it over all.
Old 11-24-2021, 04:14 PM   #15

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
We are in the Albany NY area, so we take the NY Thruway down to 84, then over to 81 in Scranton, then 77, 26, and 95 down to Florida. We have bypassed Scranton by taking 380 down to 80 and then over to 81. A couple times we went east to 29 in VA and then south. Depended on what campgrounds we wanted to stay at on the way. 209 is somewhat scenic, but slow speed.
I don't like that interchange around 84 to 81 in Scranton. I don't know why. I just don't feel comfortable driving around there. Thanks for mentioning 380 I think I will try it this year.
Old 11-24-2021, 04:38 PM   #16
vin

Name: vince
Trailer: escape
Georgia
gas prices

On the trip south fill up in S.Carolina at the first and last stop, then Ga last before Fla. Reverse on the way back N. and you might save a few bucks. Strategic oil station is open so travel now.
vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:29 PM   #17

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
I don't like that interchange around 84 to 81 in Scranton. I don't know why. I just don't feel comfortable driving around there. Thanks for mentioning 380 I think I will try it this year.
I don't like it much either, that whole area, Scranton and Wilkes Barr, going in both directions. 380 to 80 to 81 is a little longer, but less traffic, and easier. One time we were heading south, started to pull off 84 at Scranton to get on 81, looked ahead and saw traffic backed up and not moving, so quick pulled back over to get on 380. I've been on 380 when there was no traffic at all. If I use my GPS it wants me to go from the Thruway down into NJ, 295 as I recall, then 78 over thru Allentown to 81. I don't much like that route either.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 11:32 PM   #18

Name: Neville
Trailer: Trails West Campster
Ida Home
Cheapest gas prices

I get gas at two places, Costco and WalMart. It's like eating at McDonalds. You know exactly what you get. Both supply good gas. If you do the 7-11 or any little convenience store you are not getting good gas and you are not paying a fair price. Oil company gas stations are pricey and some are iffy. That extra you pay from the big guys does not always get you what you think. Think of it like buying sushi at the Stop & Shop
Villen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 12:04 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Where do you think Costco and Walmart get their gas from?
Old 11-30-2021, 06:27 AM   #20

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
I set my GPS to avoid congested areas. As for gas prices, I normally just go & don't worry about the price. Now next summer, if prices are too high we may have to take shorter trips. We plan to go to Alaska but will have to exaim my budget.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote