Mechanically challenged here :) BUT SO HAPPY! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #1

Name: Ana
Trailer: 1979 13' boler
New Hampshire
Registry
Smile Mechanically challenged here :) BUT SO HAPPY!

Ok so before you all worry I had a master electrician helping me but we successfully REWIRED MY ENTIRE BOLER and added 3 outlets, replaced the box and now I have 4 separate breakers! I HAVE LIGHTS!!!

I also managed... BY MYSELF!!! to get the dometic fridge working on propane and on electricity!!! SO EXCITED! pipe cleaners helped a lot with this! LOL!!! WE have yet to work on the 4 way flat to hook up to my car and get the tail lights working so I can legally register and drive it but i'm so close!!! the inside is done esthetically and now i'm just trying to get the guts to work out.

He is also going to help me install 2 computer fans where the vent used to be. I do have a question for anyone that can help and has done this before... what outside vent cover do you use to cover up those fans? the vent cover on there was from a vent fan and it lets water in if there is the slightest bit of wind. very frustrating. wondering what other option I can use. YAY!!! I'm learning more and more each day on how to get this little egg to work all properly. EXCITED!!\
avfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #2

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-490960658.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	47436

I used a scoop vent because the regular vent caused the rust that made me remove the stovetop fan. But it was smaller than the hole so it used some plastic the make the hole smaller.
Not elegant. But now rain ever gets in! Even when I am driving in a down pour!
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #3

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
Never gets in!
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:22 AM   #4

Name: Ana
Trailer: 1979 13' boler
New Hampshire
Registry
THAT is EXACTLY what I was considering using!!
THANKS!
avfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Ana... way to go!!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #6

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by avfn View Post
....WE have yet to work on the 4 way flat to hook up to my car and get the tail lights working so I can legally register and drive it but i'm so close!!! the inside is done esthetically and now i'm just trying to get the guts to work out.....
Glad your making such wonderful progress.

If your going to have the plug put on your tow vehicle consider having them put on a 7 blade Bargman plug. It probably won't cost any more than getting a 4 flat plug wired in for labor for the same connections.

The adapter from 7 blade to 4 pin is around $10 so if your trailer currently has a 4 pin flat it's no big deal to use it with the Bargman but....

7 blade provides extra connections for things like running 12 volt to trailer from car, or trailer brakes. Some folks even add a backup light to the trailer using the "extra" aux. connection

Bargman tow side of plug almost always have an attached cover that protects the connections when not in use.

Preserves your options in the future, Bargman 7 blade is the stock plug on at least some Scamps and many RV's don't know about Boler. The local retailers will have the Bargman, it's a pretty stock item.

PO of my scamp cut the 7 blade plug off trailer and stuck a 4 pin flat on, either because it matched what he had on his truck for utility trailer OR he thought the 7 blade was some sort of weird "Scamp" only plug rather than the stock plug for an RV. Sigh.

Here is the normal connections and wire sizes for Bargman as found on the web.

1. White / Ground return/ 10 ga
2. Blue / Electric brakes /12 ga
3. Green / Tail, Running, License / 14 ga
4. Black / Battery charge Line/ 10 ga
5. Red / Stop and LH turn /14 ga
6. Brown / Stop and RH turn/ 14 ga
7. Yellow / Auxiliary and back up / 14 ga

4 pin (or adapter to 4 pin flat) only uses connections number 1,3,5,6. You can always use the other connections if you have the need or desire to add them to the trailer. Battery charge or electric brakes seem the most common additional items people want running to the trailer eventually. Some people bump the ground and battery charge line to 8 ga wire to better handle charging trailer battery while they drive. (smaller number = bigger wire)
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:54 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
From the Document Center:
7 Pin Wiring Diagram - Car End

7 Pin Wiring Diagram - Trailer End

You may find this helpful too: Wire Color By Vehicle (tug) Manufacturer

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote