Michigan copper country? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2022, 12:03 AM   #1

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Michigan copper country?

I’d like to tour copper mines etc on my spring trip through Indiana and Michigan. Has anyone been to some historic copper sites that they enjoyed? I’d also like to return with some souvenir samples of float copper.
Attached Thumbnails
MI.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 06:19 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Here is a website that identifies things to see and do on the Keweenaw Peninsula, including copper mine tours.

https://www.keweenawheritagesites.org/places.php

Several years ago when we visited the UP, our vacation included exploring the Keweenaw Peninsula and camping at Ft. Wilkins Historical SP. We did the self guided tour of the Delaware Copper Mine and also hiked the trails there. It was an interesting hour or two visit.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 08:09 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Looks like a nice trip...........
Old 03-20-2022, 08:58 AM   #4

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
In my opinion, Da Yoopers Tourist Trap & Musium (https://dayoopers.com/) is a must visit. It is in Ishpeming, MI. We stayed at the Munising Tourist Park Campground (https://munisingtouristpark.com/) which is just west of Munising, right on Lake Superior. The campground is owned and operated by the City of Munising. The lake was like glass when we were there. Pictured Rocks Cruises is will worth the money and time. But that lake can get really rough. We didn't get up on the Keweenaw Peninsula so did not see the mines.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 09:06 AM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
I’d like to tour copper mines etc on my spring trip through Indiana and Michigan. Has anyone been to some historic copper sites that they enjoyed? I’d also like to return with some souvenir samples of float copper.
I worked up there during my National Park Service Career designing communication systems. Keeweena National Historic Park is headquartered in the old copper mine management offices and has a nice visitor center and did (pre covid) offer tours of a copper mine closer to Houghton/Hancock. Also if you have time, take the ship to Ilse Royale for a couple of days and do some kayaking around the island. There is a nice hotel. Only primitive backcountry camping. It's pretty special though. As far as taking copper samples you can't from the park, but the Park Service does not own a lot of land there and I expect if you do some research and even ask the information rangers you may have success. The park is in Calumet Michigan.

East of the copper country is the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore which is spectacular .
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 10:43 AM   #6

Wisconsin
Registry
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
Here is a website that identifies things to see and do on the Keweenaw Peninsula, including copper mine tours.

https://www.keweenawheritagesites.org/places.php

Several years ago when we visited the UP, our vacation included exploring the Keweenaw Peninsula and camping at Ft. Wilkins Historical SP. We did the self guided tour of the Delaware Copper Mine and also hiked the trails there. It was an interesting hour or two visit.
I searched copper mine tours and missed that site.
Old 03-21-2022, 06:53 AM   #7

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
In my opinion, Da Yoopers Tourist Trap & Musium (https://dayoopers.com/) is a must visit. It is in Ishpeming, MI.
Wow! For a second there I thought there was a museum dedicated to the very talented singers Da Yoopers! I was all ready to go and see an exhibit about the Chainsaw Juggler or the Rusty Chevrolet! Maybe visit the original Deer Camp. Oh well, I guess it is not to be.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 08:03 AM   #8

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
There are some great musicians up there especially in and around Calumet. Oren Tikkenen is one.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:25 AM   #9

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
Copper in the UP

Quote:
Good way from Elkhart north is route 131, instead of I75, there is a nice SFCG called Old 131 north of Grand Rapids that would be a good 1st stop on your way. Another beautiful one near there is Spring Lake SFCG just before the blue overpass near town of Fife Lake. In the UP we stayed with our just purchased used 2005 Casita at McLain St Pk, north of Houghton, left the camper and day toured the copper peninsula. Look for the huge snow gauge for a photo shoot.
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 11:05 AM   #10

Name: Tom
Trailer: Amerigo
Wisconsin
No Museum needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
Wow! For a second there I thought there was a museum dedicated to the very talented singers Da Yoopers! I was all ready to go and see an exhibit about the Chainsaw Juggler or the Rusty Chevrolet! Maybe visit the original Deer Camp. Oh well, I guess it is not to be.
All you have to do is stay up there for 2 weeks and visit only local places, to stay and eat. No fast food, think pasties. You will be converted singing with the rest of them!
Ya know it. Leave trollville forever. ( People who live below the bridge)
bigangelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 11:51 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Copper country,

If you're interested in copper you need to get all the way up into the Kewenaw to Copper Harbor. There are numerous piles of mine tailings that can be "mined" for native copper around the area but now most are overgrown. Perhaps a local tourism guide can help you find some. Lots of rock shops in the area. If interested in geology there is the Seaman Mineral Museum at MTU in Houghton. More enough to do in the UP for more than one trip.
Dennis (a native Youper)
Dennis McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 05:04 PM   #12

Name: Frank
MI
Visiting the UP

I hope you visit the Tahquamenon Falls. Your map has you passing by.

Take a boat tour to visit the Pictured Rocks.

On the south side is a very nice Fayette State Park, with a preserved early iron smelting town.

All three of these are on the eastern side of the UP.
Frank R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 07:51 PM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
You might try to contact the relevant departments who manage natural resources, mineral and mining claims, that sort of thing. As an example, in Washington State here we have a department of natural resources.

These offices tend to be a goldmine(!) of information, with surveys and reports that date way back on all kinds of subject pertaining to hydrology, geography, geology, minerals, fossils, etc. There's also generally some people who are really steeped in this stuff and who don't mind chatting about it.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 08:21 PM   #14

Name: DaveWI
Trailer: 2014 16‘ Scamp Deluxe
Wisconsin
I’ll ditto the recommendation to visit the Keweenaw. It’s a must see. You should also read up on Yooperlite, a fluorescent mineral found on the beaches up there.
DaveWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 08:23 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis McMillan View Post
If you're interested in copper you need to get all the way up into the Kewenaw to Copper Harbor. There are numerous piles of mine tailings that can be "mined" for native copper around the area but now most are overgrown. Perhaps a local tourism guide can help you find some. Lots of rock shops in the area. If interested in geology there is the Seaman Mineral Museum at MTU in Houghton. More enough to do in the UP for more than one trip.
Dennis (a native Youper)
Strangely enough, I "picked up" my pieces of native Michigan copper in Quartzsite, AZ. At the January Rock & Gem Show (hundreds of booths selling just about every kind of mineral known to man). I met a man from MI that collects a bunch of copper nodules and heads to the south for the winter, paying for his trip selling at shows.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 09:21 AM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Our son went to Michigan Tech in Houghton, MI so we spent a lot of time touring up there some years back.

The Quincy Copper Mine just out of town is great tour.
https://www.quincymine.com/

We usually camped with our Scamp or Casita at the City of Hancock, MI campground.
https://www.cityofhancock.com/recrea...campground.php

If you like brew pubs the KBC (Keweenaw Brewing Company) in downtown Houghton is really good visit.
https://kbc.beer/

And drive north on the peninsula to get a fantastic view of Lake Superior taking Brockway Mountain Dr.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Br...!4d-87.9688972
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 09:59 PM   #17

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500
Registry
If you are into mountain biking the UP has some excellent places to ride. Make sure you have mosquito spray, if you have it you won't need it. The Yooper tourist trap is a must see... Being a Yooper is a lifestyle and you have to be born a Yooper. A Troll, is someone lives below the bridge, the Mighty Mac, can only dream of becoming a Yooper. Just because you moved and live in the UP doesn't make you one. It's also a language only spoken in the UP.
ROBERT ONEILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 04:29 PM   #18

Wisconsin
Registry
Ten days on the road.

Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. It was great. I did a counterclockwise loop around lake Michigan through Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, and Michigan. I spent four days boondocking in Indiana while doing a small construction project, a drone project, and a small music event at a winery. After that north to Auburn, Indiana and three great auto museums including the hard-to-find Ford V8 museum. Next was the RV and MH museum also hard to get to because I found all the closed roads between Auburn and Elkhart, Indiana. I even followed a brand new fresh from the factory very large 5th wheel that had to be towed though road construction in a ditch.
Next north to Michigan where for my first time ever I went to the TOP of a light house. Then on to the Keweenaw Peninsula and the Fort Wilkins Historic Site (state park, $40/night) at Copper Harbor, Michigan. I had a great three days there. Toured the Fort, two copper mines (Quincy and Delaware), and spent nights listening to rain on the roof of the Scamp.
Overall, I drove 1,834.5 miles and used 139.75 Gallons of gas for an average of 13.127 MPG towing a 16’ Scamp with a 2016 F150 V6 4X4. Gas price in most of Michigan was $4.599 but I did pay $4.849 in Copper Harbor. I did travel all planned miles but I’m thinking about cutting my next trips shorter than when I planned them last winter.

Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP LIGHTHOUSE DJI_0642.jpg  
Old 05-26-2022, 07:53 PM   #19

Name: Cotton
Trailer: Casita ID
KY
UP, A OK!
Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 05:41 AM   #20

Name: Frank