Microfiber Bath Towels, Worth Considering? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2014, 12:07 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Microfiber Bath Towels, Worth Considering?

We're thinking about trying Microfiber Bath Towels for use in the trailer. Anyone use or have used them?

Worth considering?

Have read of folks using them & really liking them. Any type better than another?

Thanks!
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:49 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Never used a micro bath towel, only the 12" square ones and they work great. I do believe I've seen other comments here from others that really like them. I'm sure they will pipe up on them.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 03:57 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
We tried them. They are compact and dry quickly. My wife likes them and still uses one. I went back to a regular towel. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:28 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We use the 12" microfiber rags for drying /waxing my truck and standard cotton towels for drying the wife and me. For some reason the microfiber towels just didn't feel right . Must be an old / retired person thing
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:42 AM   #5

Name: Leslie
Trailer: Alto R1723
North Carolina
I ordered one for each of us in different colors so we can keep them separate since we use more than once before washing. We haven't had occasion to use them yet but I am looking forward to not having to deal with wet towels as much. Sierra Trading Post seems to have a sale going pretty constantly so check them out if you decide to get some.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Kudzu Asheville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:43 AM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Must be an old / retired person thing
yup, I bet that's it.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:24 AM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
We tried them. They are compact and dry quickly. My wife likes them and still uses one. I went back to a regular towel. Raz
Same thing here. I just didn't feel like I was getting dried off the same as with a regular towel. Kinda of hard to explain.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:45 AM   #8

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
We have several different size microfiber towels for different purposes. I know I'm not right but they just don't feel to me as if they're absorbing moisture as well as a good, thick 'terrycloth' towel. I use 'em for cleaning, waxing, polishing the trailer/Tow Vehicle & they do great. Probably, definitely(?) is an 'old retired' thing. I'm 75 & nuthin' beats a nice fluffy cotton bath towel...
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:18 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Microfiber towels work better if you dont use fabric softerner on them when you wash them.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:38 AM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Microfiber towels work better if you dont use fabric softerner on them when you wash them.

Actually, ALL towels work better if you don't use fabric softener on them when you wash them
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:16 AM   #11

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Same thing here. I just didn't feel like I was getting dried off the same as with a regular towel. Kinda of hard to explain.
Exactly. We use them because they take up so little space, dry very quickly, and do dry us off....... just not the same feeling as that of a regular towel.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:33 AM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I noted the "micro fiber" towels many years ago watching the summer Olympics. The divers were using them. I checked our REI and sure enough they had them. Carried and used them in the backpack, now the trailer. Easier to carry and dry than terry cloth.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #13

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
Who would have guessed you would get such a range of opinion on such a simple topic.

I have a small microfiber towel that I have taken backpacking for years. I wouldn't think of not bringing it. I also bought a larger, thicker "bath" size microfiber last year for car camping and I love it. Wring it out, hang it up and ten minutes later it's dry.

I understand what others say about the feel of microfiber but IMHO cotton towels get way, stay wet and are a PITA when traveling.

The one exception is that an old cotton towel is really handy if you have a 4 legged family member who could find a mud puddle in the Sahara.

I'm so glad we were able to clear this up for the OP.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:43 PM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
The good - they are lightweight, take up less room than cotton towels, and dry quickly after use. The bad - I really don't like the "feel" of them. Like roy & Steve, I went back to cotton.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 04:25 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Try a squeegee. Or maybe not.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:25 PM   #16

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I have microfiber hand towels from work...great for around the kitchen....but prefer my terry cloth bath sheet to use to dry off with after showering....feels good on the body.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:00 PM   #17

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Dick & Joanne
I like them because they dry quickly no matter what the humidity is.

Dick
Dick & Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:41 PM   #18

Name: Susie
Trailer: 2012 Lil Snoozy #151 - sold in 2018
Arizona
Registry
towels

I can't get into the microfiber towels either, but JC Penny and several other department stores have started carrying what they call "quick dry" towels. They come in at least a dozen colors and are 100% cotton. And yes, they do dry more quickly than the towels we were using before, though probably not as fast as microfiber.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:12 AM   #19

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
I prefer cotton towels but agree with everyone else on the feel. Still I would not be without one. I remember a 16 day sail from California to Hawaii where I used something similar and was very glad to have it. I also ditched using socks on this trip also. On shorter trips I bring one cotton towel and use this after the other one to get myself drier. I try to keep it from getting wet

One young guy on the trip was constantly drying his socks and towel and having bad luck. At the end of the trip he asked me if I wore socks and I said no.

Now I have a type of synthetic Sealskin socks that can be worn for a week with almost no odor. Like the towels they don't feel the same but I can't argue with the extra warmth and comfort.

It is an interesting topic. No one wants to smell a stinky wet towel. I have a locker close to the door where I keep a laundry basket. There is a outside door too and I open that on warm days to dry things out. If I had the space for it if have a washer and dryer in my camper.

Someday I'll have a boat big enough for a combo unit.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:06 AM   #20

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think one of the secrets to using a microfiber towel is to pat yourself dry. Don't drag it across your skin like a cotton towel. It does feel like using a chamois otherwise. The only time I pack cotton towels is if I KNOW it's going to be warm enough outside to dry them thoroughly. Damp, icky, funky towels are NOT fun! And camping should be fun!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote