Missing my Scamp it's in the shop - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2017, 04:53 PM   #1

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Missing my Scamp it's in the shop

Just bought my new-to-me Scamp last Friday, but have it in the shop getting some TLC.

Things I am having done, before taking a little trip with it this weekend, are:

1) Wheel bearings checked, greased, etc.
2) New propane tank installed as old one was out of service date.
3) Running lights on right side sorted out.
4) New spare tire/rim purchased. Old one looked sketchy.

These are routine maintenance that many of you likely do without sending to a shop, but I don't have all the proper tools/knowledge to do it, plus I trust the shop.

I sure miss my Scamp.

Best part was getting it put into my name at the DMV yesterday!
By the way, I have year-to-year tags and it seems some folks have trailer tags. How do I go about getting those trailer tags?

The Scamp and tow vehicle:
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Congratulations and I'm sure the weekend can't get here soon enough. Please post back with details of your first trip.

And nothing at all wrong with having a trusted shop get things back up to spec. With my advancing age and expanding waistline, I have no reservations about paying someone to do things I might have done myself in the past. However, I would ask the mechanic to show you a few basic procedures such as where to place the jack in case of a flat (you do have a jack and lug wrench that will work on the Scamp, right?), how to diagnose ($5 test light) and replace a bulb or blown fuse, how hot a hub feels under normal conditions vs one with a failing bearing (or brake issue if so equipped).
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:56 AM   #3

California
Registry
I sure will report back. Thank you for posting in my thread.

I'm a little bit nervous as this is my first outing.

I've never hauled a travel trailer, except to bring it home and to the shop, about 50 towing miles under my belt.

I will be at a Calif. State campground with full hook up, so I'll plug in the electric. I don't have water in, so I'll bring water. *My water storage tank was missing, so I have ordered one direct from Scamp.

I do have a jack, so I'll have the mechanic show me where to put it should I ever need to use it.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:50 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The jack should be placed on the main frame rails just behind the axle. Not all mechanics do it right. Some will jack on the axle tube, which works for the leaf spring axles on many larger trailers, but is not best practice on the hollow tube torsion axles used on many small fiberglass trailers, including your Scamp. I hope it won't be needed!

If you plan to use the propane, I would have them do a drop test of the propane lines and test the operation of each appliance. The drop test pressurizes the system and verifies that there are no leaks anywhere. If you trailer doesn't have them already, install smoke, CO, and LP detectors. You can install battery-only smoke and CO detectors yourself, available at Walmart or any hardware store. The LP detector has to be wired into your 12V electrical system, so that might be a job for your tech.

You must be so excited for your first trip!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:01 AM   #5

California
Registry
Yes, most definitely excited!

Oh, yes, I am going to install that CO detector, I have it already, just need to mount it. I believe it is to be mounted lower in the trailer...I'll do another search on where it is to be mounted.

I'll also leave a window partially open.

I pick up my Scamp today at noon, then I have an upholstery cleaner coming later to clean carpet and cushions; a Chem-Dry guy I've used in the past for my home carpets.

Campground is Silver Strand State Beach Silver Strand SB
I think the spot I have reserved is a few feet from the sand...then ocean!
$80 bucks though (one night)...yikes. I'm a newbie, so I'm learning. I figure once I'm there I could maybe find out how to get a better rate.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:44 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisantica View Post
Yes, most definitely excited!

Oh, yes, I am going to install that CO detector, I have it already, just need to mount it. I believe it is to be mounted lower in the trailer...I'll do another search on where it is to be mounted.
You should have instructions that come with it on where to mount the CO detector. It should be about 3' off the floor and out of drafts from doors, windows. Mine is currently not mounted, just sitting on a counter.
My inclination, in such a small space, would be to return the CO detector and get a combination smoke and CO detector, which are available now.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:55 AM   #7

California
Registry
Combination detector is next on the buy list.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:19 AM   #8

Name: Pete
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Registry
I believe that the combination detectors are propane and CO. The smoke detector needs to be mounted higher. It would be good to always have all 3 modes installed in your trailer or RV.
pete_britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:30 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
There are dozens of smoke/CO alarms available.
I'd also ensure that I got one with a "hush" button to shut it up when boiling pasta or such.
Also, propane alarm is supposed to be located at floor level because propane is heavier than air. CO is best located at bed level, so that you wake up in the morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 9.28.12 AM.png  
Old 08-09-2017, 10:33 AM   #10

California
Registry
Thank you both for the detector tips.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:48 AM   #11

California
Registry
2 hours and 12 minutes before I get to pick her up from the shop, but who's counting.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:44 AM   #12

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
...Campground is Silver Strand State Beach Silver Strand SB
$80 bucks though (one night)...yikes. I'm a newbie, so I'm learning. I figure once I'm there I could maybe find out how to get a better rate.
Full hook-ups are indeed crazy expensive at the CA state beaches and not needed for a small trailer, in my opinion. We camp regularly at South Carlsbad State Beach (have reservations next month). A no-hook-up site on the inland side of the loop at SCSB is only $35/night. We can still see the ocean and stairs to the beach (Carlsbad is on a bluff) are only a few steps away.

We run everything we need to camp comfortably off the battery and propane for 3-5 days, which is the longest we stay in one place (so far, anyway). I have found many places the no-hook-up sites are not only cheaper, but larger and more scenic as well. We have camped for five years without hook-ups.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:50 AM   #13

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Full hook-ups are indeed crazy expensive at the CA state beaches and not needed for a small trailer, in my opinion. We camp regularly at South Carlsbad State Beach (have reservations next month). A no-hook-up site on the inland side of the loop at SCSB is only $35/night. We can still see the ocean and stairs to the beach (Carlsbad is on a bluff) are only a few steps away.
That is VERY good to know! Thank you!
Old 08-09-2017, 04:38 PM   #14

California
Registry
Things were going pretty good until I came home and discovered this:
Old 08-09-2017, 10:32 PM   #15

Arizona
Registry
Missing my Scamp it's in the shop

If the light is working and it's not leaking into the trailer (a garden hose can help with that) you can probably live with it for your first trip.

Later when you have time, this might be a good reason to swap out the old taillights for LEDs.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:03 AM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Campground is Silver Strand State Beach Silver Strand SB
Wow, how $ have changed, think it was $14 when the kids were young and we used to camp there for a week every year, maybe 6 or 7 total. No hookups back then, that dates me . I liked the middle or rear row for parking. The couple times I was on the first row next to the sand I was surprised by the number of folks cutting through between the RVs to get to the beach. Didn't care for that but the parking was pretty close together, might be different now though. Have a great first trip with the new chariot and post some pics.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:15 AM   #17

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Later when you have time, this might be a good reason to swap out the old taillights for LEDs.
The light is working. The guy at the shop feels bad about his technician being ham fisted with the lens, he's going to try and find me a lens. I may go LED as suggested.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:18 AM   #18

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Wow, how $ have changed, think it was $14 when the kids were young and we used to camp there for a week every year, maybe 6 or 7 total.
I sure thought $80 was high for one night, and that was with the $2 off for senior discount (taking my mom). But there was an almost $8 fee to reserve the space through the State park website. Maybe there's a cheaper way to reserve a spot there, I'm new to this. I'm going to find out tomorrow when I check in. I'll post an update.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:42 AM   #19

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Have a great time, Lisa, and don't worry about the little things on your first trip out. Having full hookups gives you power, water, and a sewer connection for your first try at this. Not having to wait at the dump station the next day could be a plus! Experiment, learn, and enjoy!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:50 AM   #20

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
Have a great time, Lisa, and don't worry about the little things on your first trip out. Having full hookups gives you power, water, and a sewer connection for your first try at this.
Thank you, I needed that reminder to not worry and to remember this is my trial run.
My main concern was getting the trailer checked out for road-worthiness, lights, and wheel bearings repacked. Tires are new, and now I have a new spare tire.
Curtains coming today! Old ones were okay, but new ones will freshen up the look.
I cannot believe how clean the floors look now that the carpet/upholstery guy cleaned them! Plus my cushions are a shade lighter. Yay!

Tags
scamp