Moms and Kids Camp Groups?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-08-2007, 09:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Tirah
Thumbs up

I was just wondering if anyone happened to know of any groups of moms-and-their-kids camping groups (where you don't have to join some other type of club to be part of the camp trips and you don't have to be a single mom to participate)?

I am unfortunately more gung-ho over camping than any of my friends, and my husband <strike>is a slave</strike> can't get that much time off of work (I am currently an at-home-mom and a HS teacher when I return to work).

I've been reading up on some of the "solo camping" strings and am getting a lot of good info, since I'm planning a couple of mom/kid trips with my two toddlers this summer (perhaps one of the fiberglass rv meets). This board is such a great resource!
Tirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:42 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I don't know of any groups you describe but you are welcome to camp with us in Bear Valley Springs, outside of Tehachapi.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm not going to be much help, my daughter is now a teenager and the first question she asks me is if there's going to be any "boys" there...and barring that....a pool. But, I do know you'd be invited to any of the gatherings and there's always plenty for kids to see and do....all they need is the great outdoors and typical campfire food for dinner and you're set. Get out and make memories, they'll last you a lifetime and when you and yours are older you can remember back to those GREAT times.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:10 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
hmnnn.

I can't help you with the kid part. From what I have seen, and thru my experience as a kid (Ohhhh... so long ago) they usually make friends quickly in campgrounds, leaving you on alert, but in relative peace! LOL!

I say, just get up and go! Solo female campers are not that uncommon anymore. I rarely run into anyone that bats an eye at it, and usually when I camp, I am solo.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:45 AM   #5

Trailer: Gypsy 1979
Go camping with the kids and everything will fall into place and the kids will have fun.
I started taking my kids camping when they were todlers and now they have todlers. where did the time go? At campgrounds they would always find someone to play with
their own age and now they love to swim, fish, kayak and do all the other things they learned while camping. There is also a better sense of security in campgrounds as oposed to camping alone in some remote place. ---So go camping and let the kids learn to love it as well as you do.
Bill Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:48 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
There is also a better sense of security in campgrounds as oposed to camping alone in some remote place.
This might be true for some people, but not everybody. We took our kids backpacking as soon as they were old enough to carry a very light pack. That was when they were right around 4. They and us still feel safer at a remote site than in any campground. Reason -- more people are hurt by other people in crowded areas than by any thing else.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:42 PM   #7

Trailer: 1977 Trillium 13 ft
Hey Tirah ... Where in CA are you located? Were In SO.Cal (Orange County) and are looking for other Egg locals to go camping with, Maybe have a monthly meeting spot at the beach in the summer or Have a So.Cal locals Rally...That would be fun. We have Children & summer is coming quick. Let us know, Josh & Family In So.Cal
Josh Henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:02 PM   #8

Quote:
[b]Hey Tirah ... Where in CA are you located? Were In SO.Cal (Orange County) and are looking for other Egg locals to go camping with, Maybe have a monthly meeting spot at the beach in the summer or Have a So.Cal locals Rally...That would be fun. We have Children & summer is coming quick. Let us know, Josh & Family In So.Cal
Hey Josh! We're in Northern CA by San Francisco, so we're probably a little bit too far apart, but I am going to pester my husband to go down South for the SO Cal rally I think I saw for this summer in August. What a great thing it would be to have a monthly campout with folks in the summers, though! I'd love to be out there camping at least that often- if not more.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:04 PM   #9

Quote:
I don't know of any groups you describe but you are welcome to camp with us in Bear Valley Springs, outside of Tehachapi.
I think I saw that that rally will be happening in August? I'm planning to make our August vacation around that area so we can be there.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:04 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
I was just wondering if anyone happened to know of any groups of moms-and-their-kids camping groups (where you don't have to join some other type of club to be part of the camp trips and you don't have to be a single mom to participate)?

I am unfortunately more gung-ho over camping than any of my friends, and my husband <strike>is a slave</strike> can't get that much time off of work (I am currently an at-home-mom and a HS teacher when I return to work).

I've been reading up on some of the "solo camping" strings and am getting a lot of good info, since I'm planning a couple of mom/kid trips with my two toddlers this summer (perhaps one of the fiberglass rv meets). This board is such a great resource!

I don't know of any groups. However, you can arrange a camping trip and post it on this forum as an event. You might get some takers. The problem is that a large percentage, not all, of us are closer to the grandparent set than the parent of toddlers. That doesn't mean we don't love to have small children camping with us.

Another bit of information for those that have small children. There's a website that has some tried and true tips for taking hikes with children. Check it out here.

Your children will end up loving the great outdoors if you take them out into it.

Please tell us about the trips you take with your children. We love to hear the stories complete with pictures.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:06 PM   #11

Quote:
I'm not going to be much help, my daughter is now a teenager and the first question she asks me is if there's going to be any "boys" there...and barring that....a pool. But, I do know you'd be invited to any of the gatherings and there's always plenty for kids to see and do....all they need is the great outdoors and typical campfire food for dinner and you're set. Get out and make memories, they'll last you a lifetime and when you and yours are older you can remember back to those GREAT times.
thanks Donna! Those OR rallies are really tempting, despite the long drive from CA (with two fussy toddlers ). I love Oregon- my dad is from Portland.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:08 PM   #12

Quote:
hmnnn.

I can't help you with the kid part. From what I have seen, and thru my experience as a kid (Ohhhh... so long ago) they usually make friends quickly in campgrounds, leaving you on alert, but in relative peace! LOL!

I say, just get up and go! Solo female campers are not that uncommon anymore. I rarely run into anyone that bats an eye at it, and usually when I camp, I am solo.
Gina, your posts on your camping-solo experiences are a big comfort! I tent-camped alone once when I was about 19, and I figure with the trailer (and the kids and our dog) I'll feel that much more comfortable, but it's nice to know it's becoming more common!
Old 01-10-2007, 02:31 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
Hi Tirah,

Do you have twins?? I have 5 1/2 yr old boys. I am the camper in the family and a couple of summers ago, I bought a 13'Trillium. While there are times I wish I had a bit more space, I can handle it myself (for the mostpart). I have taken my boys since they were 3 1/2. I am in the Seattle area and have been lucky enough to meet some moms that also like to camp. They don't have trailers. Some tent and one has a van that makes into a big bed. I have ventured solo twice (met people on this site at the Nor Ore gatherings. I was a bit nervous the first time, not knowing anyone, but it all worked out great. I am the cautious type and would never go alone with the kids to any remote places unless I was with someone or in a well known/traveled campground. I moved to Wa 7 years ago from Santa Barbara. I am learning some new geography and adjusting to the shorter camping season. I am planning on going to the April gathering and will probably bring my boys. Haven't been brave enough to take the kids and the dog yet (she is still a pup). Maybe this summer.

The best to you.
Sharon
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:33 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Hi Tirah,

Do you have twins?? I have 5 1/2 yr old boys. I am the camper in the family and a couple of summers ago, I bought a 13'Trillium. While there are times I wish I had a bit more space, I can handle it myself (for the mostpart). I have taken my boys since they were 3 1/2. I am in the Seattle area and have been lucky enough to meet some moms that also like to camp. They don't have trailers. Some tent and one has a van that makes into a big bed. I have ventured solo twice (met people on this site at the Nor Ore gatherings. I was a bit nervous the first time, not knowing anyone, but it all worked out great. I am the cautious type and would never go alone with the kids to any remote places unless I was with someone or in a well known/traveled campground. I moved to Wa 7 years ago from Santa Barbara. I am learning some new geography and adjusting to the shorter camping season. I am planning on going to the April gathering and will probably bring my boys. Haven't been brave enough to take the kids and the dog yet (she is still a pup). Maybe this summer.

The best to you.
Sharon

You're going to leave "Swiffer" at home?
Old 01-10-2007, 03:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Hi Tirah,

The best to you.
Sharon
Hi Sharon! My son is 3 yrs and 2 months, and my daughter is 14 months old. That's terrific that you have gone with just your boys and that you've found some other moms who like to camp! You all are making me feel a lot more comfortable about going with just the kiddos. I feel confident about everything except maybe backing the trailer without someone to guide me (but I'll just request a pull-through site).

Washington has gorgeous camping areas. I'm envious!

Hope to meet you sometime at one of the rallies!
Old 01-10-2007, 07:29 PM   #16

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I can say that if you camp with your kids they will remember it forever. I have always traveled on the road with my kids, camped in both campgrounds and parks as well as rustic areas. Now that all of my kids are grown and two have kids of their own, I can say, it was a good thing. Now they are talking about how they want to take their kids camping. How their favorite places are where we went camping, and not Disneyland but the Lave beds campground. I was camping alone with just the kids and 28 years ago not many women solo-ed with kids but 98% of the time there was no problems. The few times I felt uncomfortable, I just started the engine and moved to a better place to camp. Build those memories, kids grow too fast. It feels like yesterday but now I am getting ready to take our grandkids camping with us.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:44 PM   #17

That's wonderful that you're taking your grandkids camping and very cool that you camped with your kids when they were little! I wish I could get my mom to camp with us (she thinks the trailer is "roughing it" )

I'm definitely taking the kids on lots of mom-kid camping trips each summer! I think it would be a neat bonding experience, and both the kids and I really love camping together. I hope they grow up with the types of memories your kids have!
Old 01-10-2007, 08:58 PM   #18

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0009_1.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	5996

Here's the good news Byron! She seems to have outgrown her road vomit! YIPEE!! She is twice as big as last time you saw her. She has turned out to be quite a great poochy. The jury is still out about bringing her. Here is a pic from Christmas out shopping for a tree.

Sharon
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:14 PM   #19

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
she's a cutie!

And, isn't that boy a little young to be smoking?

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:40 PM   #20

Registry
Here's a picture of Girtie aka Swiffer. Spring 2006 NOG.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

It seems as though Girtie liked to collect forest duff in her fur, hence the nickname Swiffer. Yup, she's gained a bit of size and weight.

edited for spelling