More State Parks to Close - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2009, 11:59 AM   #1

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
I just read that schwartzenagger is looking to close 220 California state parks...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090529/ap_on_...alifornia_parks

I was born in California-write to the governor...the state parks contact points, anyone! Get on your editorials...one of the state parks slated to close would be where the largest redwood in the country is...don't stand by...we can make a difference!! Everyone write...not just californians...we need to show that the tourist industry, us, campers, etc. would be severely affected. Even if you don't plan to go this year, this will prevent these assets from being used by your kids, grandkids, etc... Stand up!!

(ok...I will get off my soapbox now...)

Pam
Pamela H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Thank you Pam for posting this. I will alert my fishing club and the other local clubs. They are good for emailing reps.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
He's cutting the absolute wrong things. Not only State Parks but fire people. We're just getting into the fire season.
I'm not sure you'd want to be in any of our remote campgrounds now.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:28 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
*MOD HAT ON*

This is a very worthwhile topic dealing directly with what we are all here for... the love of camping, so it will remain open.

Please note though, that we still have a strict "No politicin'" rule and any strictly political comments are not allowed.

Thanks in advance.

*MOD HAT OFF*

That said, it IS sad that this may happen..

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
It's funny how the local TV stations here in Texas did a news piece on the fact that all the state parks were at capacity this past holiday weekend. People can't afford to go on vacations due to the economy but can afford to go to the state parks and camp. Seems like a good source of income for state governments that don't have money and can't raise taxes. That's all I'm going to say about that ...
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:42 PM   #6

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
It's funny how the local TV stations here in Texas did a news piece on the fact that all the state parks were at capacity this past holiday weekend. People can't afford to go on vacations due to the economy but can afford to go to the state parks and camp. Seems like a good source of income for state governments that don't have money and can't raise taxes. That's all I'm going to say about that ...
I'm not sure that most states obtain a positive cash flow from their state parks and CGs. If they were, I think they would keep them open. They charge enough to usually cover most (but not all) of the expenses, is my perception.

If they raise the fees enough to break even, folks will holler. If they close the parks people will holler. If they continue letting the state lands drain off funds in time of severe financial shortfall, citizens will holler. I sure wouldn't want to be the one who had to make that decision.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:31 PM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
I'm not sure that most states obtain a positive cash flow from their state parks and CGs. If they were, I think they would keep them open. They charge enough to usually cover most (but not all) of the expenses, is my perception.

If they raise the fees enough to break even, folks will holler. If they close the parks people will holler. If they continue letting the state lands drain off funds in time of severe financial shortfall, citizens will holler. I sure wouldn't want to be the one who had to make that decision.
Michael, is correct! I actually have an article (somewhere, I will try to find it) from a few years ago, that gave estimates of what it takes for Parks to operate versus the revenue brought in from being open. Scary! I too would hate to be in that position to even have to consider that decision. I am sure some parks hold their own, but so many don't. Then don't even get me started on some of the dumb policies as well as the destructive tourist that cost the parks $$$$$ with their destructive behavior and on and on. I hate to see any State or National Park closed due to budget and hopefully they can figure out how to not have to do it. I agree writing may help, but also understand, they have to cut somewhere. Unfortunately, most of us agree their budget cuts are in the wrong places. Can we say start at the top?

Gina, If I can find the article I have, I will send it to you before posting so you will know it's not political in nature, it really was more directed as a wake up call to Park visitors. I think this is a great topic, if we can keep it unpolitical.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:51 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Ken and I were talking to one of the rangers at Galveston State Park a couple of years ago, and she was hoppin' mad because layoffs were going into effect. One of the rangers with the least seniority was leaving, and she'd been there for 15 years! This ranger was saying that Texas State Parks generate huge revenues for the state, as in millions, and yet the state only allots a small percentage back to the parks, squeezing their budgets more and more. Since then we saw on the news where the park funding had increased, but I don't remember the percentage. Just thought it was interesting to hear the parks were such moneymakers.
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:59 AM   #9

Registry
Arizona has closed a couple parks, yet every weekend, at the campground I work at, we get the overflow from the state park just up the road. (Fool Hollow Lake)

I have driven through the park on weekdays, and they rival Oregon State parks for design, cleanliness, location.. almost luxury camping (Arizona rest stops are just as well maintained) Perhaps this is why the parks are so full.. folks WANT to line up to be in them. Heck, I want to go to them, but they have no reservations.. (I am going to tug my Burro to Fool Hollow Sunday nite to get a good spot for my days off, aamof)

Fast forward to California, IMHO, the parks are pretty low on the quality scale.. barely passable. The spurs and roads need work, the bathrooms are always dirty and the sites are packed in together... the beach parks don't even have sites mostly... they are parking lots that let you deploy your awning. Outside of the beach parks, I have never seen one full.. most I have stayed in are like ghost towns. (Yes, especially Bodie :-P) Security seems almost no existent, and the employees are cold and unpersonable..the exception to that one is the Redwoodsa parks.. who wouldn't be happy to live and work there?

Forest service and county parks seem to always be full, or near full, however, even the ones right down the road from the State parks.

I see the difference between Arizona and California as quality of the facilities.. make the park NICE, and folks will flock.. perhaps if California would actually sink a few extra dollars into the campgrounds, clean them up, fix them up, folks would be more attracted to them as customers, and employees would make them a more pleasant spot to be in.... all cascading into more revenue for the state. It takes a few pennies investment to make a few dollars.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:24 AM   #10

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
I just read that schwartzenagger is looking to close 220 California state parks...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090529/ap_on_...alifornia_parks

I was born in California-write to the governor...the state parks contact points, anyone! Get on your editorials...one of the state parks slated to close would be where the largest redwood in the country is...don't stand by...we can make a difference!! Everyone write...not just californians...we need to show that the tourist industry, us, campers, etc. would be severely affected. Even if you don't plan to go this year, this will prevent these assets from being used by your kids, grandkids, etc... Stand up!!

(ok...I will get off my soapbox now...)

Pam
Sign of the times.
I am an Arizona Site Steward licensed by the Arizona Department of Parks and Recreations and they closed the program. But then we created our own organization and continue the protection of cultural resources (archeological sites) on our own working with local management (BLM, national Forest, and Indian nations) and the Department of Justice should there be a question of law.

Perhaps you should all look into a volunteer program that can keep the California parks open. Here is your chance.

Ron

ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:58 AM   #11

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Quote:
*MOD HAT ON*

Please note though, that we still have a strict "No politicin'" rule and any strictly political comments are not allowed.

Thanks in advance.

*MOD HAT OFF*

That said, it IS sad that this may happen..
Gina, I would have a problem with the political aspect of this subject as it is not a subject that would bring an argument like with one party arguing over another, I think all of us are in complete agreement that the state parks are a valuable resource for those of us who are campers and love the outdoors as everyone on this site is. This is a subject that is in the category on suggestions on what we as campers can do to fix it. I think writing letters is a great start
Old 05-31-2009, 12:05 AM   #12

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Quote:
Fast forward to California, IMHO, the parks are pretty low on the quality scale.. barely passable. The spurs and roads need work, the bathrooms are always dirty and the sites are packed in together... the beach parks don't even have sites mostly... they are parking lots that let you deploy your awning. Outside of the beach parks, I have never seen one full.. most I have stayed in are like ghost towns. (Yes, especially Bodie :-P) Security seems almost no existent, and the employees are cold and unpersonable..the exception to that one is the Redwoodsa parks.. who wouldn't be happy to live and work there?

Forest service and county parks seem to always be full, or near full, however, even the ones right down the road from the State parks.

I see the difference between Arizona and California as quality of the facilities.. make the park NICE, and folks will flock.. perhaps if California would actually sink a few extra dollars into the campgrounds, clean them up, fix them up, folks would be more attracted to them as customers, and employees would make them a more pleasant spot to be in.... all cascading into more revenue for the state. It takes a few pennies investment to make a few dollars.
Sorry Gina, but you're brushing 'all' California State Parks with one big brush. If I go online to make a weekend reservation (Fri/Sat) at Big Basin the first weekend available is end of August ......... the park is full. You'll find a similar booking status at Prairie Creek, Hendy Woods aso ..... I ought to know that's where we hang out.

Over the last five or six years it has been difficult to get weekend reservations unless you make them in February. Right now we're paying $25 a night and 'no' our campgrounds are not filthy or falling apart. All the restrooms at Big Basin are less than 6 (approx) years old. The same for Prairie Creek.

I'm sure, I could go to Arizona to find fault with 'something' at your Parks?
Anne3358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:59 AM   #13

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Illinois went through that last year, The governor closed all the parks in districts that were against him.
Purely vindictive.
The good news is he got indicted ( you may have heard) and the new governor's first duty was to reopen the parks.
He was the Lt. Governor and against the closings from day one. His reason is that times are tough and people will stay close to home, making the parks self supporting.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:39 AM   #14

Registry
annie, reread my post....you passed over my comment on the No. Cal parks.

Quote:
.the exception to that one is the Redwoodsa parks.. who wouldn't be happy to live and work there?
I refer to the the exact area you are talking about. Those parks are lovely.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:25 PM   #15

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
This is a BIG subject here in Ca, both with the general population, and with a lot of friends of mine. I'm in a camping club, and the buzz among our group via email the last few days has been very loud.

One of the many sad parts to this situation is that, according to the list I've seen online, TONS of the parks here on the central coast are slated to be effected. Several of them, like Refugio State Beach, are almost impossible to get reservations in. If it's that busy, and still not making money, well then maybe the fees do need to go up a bit?

The government, both the governor and the houses, have tough jobs to do and tough decisions to make, but I will really be sad to see so many of our beautiful parks virtually boarded up. Another facet of the problem we've been discussing in our club is, where will we plan trips to next year? ONLY Federal places, because all the state places will be closed? Or the few state sites that will be open will be SO SWAMPED, that it'll be virtually impossible to get in? It's a dark day on the horizon for camping folks.

If nothing else, I guess we can always just go out in the desert, pull off the side of the road, and boondock for a bit, huh? hehe

If anybody's curious, the link for the list is below...

Joe

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_12478665?source=rss
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:54 PM   #16

Registry
That list just makes me feel sick. What about the people who have reservations at those campgrounds or vacations planned at those parks/places?
Old 05-31-2009, 09:13 PM   #17
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I'm sure, I could go to Arizona to find fault with 'something' at your Parks?
Annie, you may not be aware that Gina is a very recent transplant to Arizona. Prior to a couple or three months ago, she lived in California...
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:22 PM   #18

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
Apparently, South Carlsbad and Silver Strand are on the list for the San Diego District. I've never been able to get reservations for either park because they are usually booked well in advance. This is certainly sad (the closings) but somewhat laughable at the same time. California still has tremendous revenues compared to other States despite the economic downturn and an abundance of resources but still can't make ends meet. We may be getting what we deserve.
Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:18 PM   #19

Registry
Tomorrow, June 2, the Legislature's Budget Conference Committee will hear public testimony on the proposal to eliminate state funding and close 220 of our parks.

You can learn more and send a fax to have your voice heard here;
http://ga3.org/campaign/budget_may09?qp_source=ssp

Even if you don't live in California this should concern you because with all the budget problems in other states I'm sure the budget committees in those states will be watching how this plays out in California.

Lizbeth
Old 06-01-2009, 01:09 PM   #20

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Gina's experience is from Southern California where State Parks are very over crowded and over used - there are over 30 million people in LA & Orange counties. My experience is mostly along the California Central Coast - Santa Barbara & San Luis Obispo counties. The upkeep is much different.

The article is listing these State Parks for closure in our area, all of which make money:
<blockquote>Carpinteria SB
Chumash Painted Cave SHP
El Capitan SB
Emma Wood SB
Gaviota SP
La Purisima Mission SHP
McGrath SB
Point Sal SB
Refugio SB
San Buenaventura SB
Estero Bluffs SP
Hearst San Simeon SP
Limekiln SP
Los Osos Oaks SNR
Montana de Oro SP
Morro Bay SP
Morro Strand SB
William Randolph Hearst Memorial SB
</blockquote>The ones with SB are State Beaches. My guess they are 100% booked through the summer. The ones with SP are mostly State Parks along the beach like Morro Bay SP and are also 100% booked.

La Purisima Mission is one of the California Missions and is the only working one. The volunteers do all the chores as they were done when the Mission was active - making soap, gardening, black smith, etc. It is heavily used by all the 4th grade school classes in the area. It brings in hundreds of thousands of tourist dollars to the area as does William Randolph Hearst Castle. People wanting to visit these need a place to camp.

Californians just voted down in the Special Election all the the tax raises. They want the govenor and legislature to reduce spending. So the governor is hiting the people where it hurts the most, like school teachers, police, firemen, state parks (camping) not other programs that many of my friends think should be cut like protecting the red legged frog to the tune of millions of dollars and others.

My logic says, "follow the money". These cuts will cause the people of California to vote YES for the Tax Hikes.

Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote