Mortified Used Travel Trailer Seeker - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-23-2019, 01:38 PM   #21

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Hey Shangie,
As Thirfty Bill stated there’s not much depreciation of molded fiberglass trailers. Our search was initially for a used Casita but found not much difference between a late model used one and new. If your looking for something over 17 feet I think your limited to Escape, Bigfoot and maybe Scamp. Good luck with your search and as someone stated be ready to move on one that fits your needs as they don’t last long.
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 02:14 PM   #22

Name: Will
Trailer: Oliver
Texas
First of all, realize RV manufacturing is an unregulated industry, so many of them are junk from day one. I have owned two “high quality”, expensive units that required work to complete items not done during initial assembly. They both required constant maintenance/repair. Then, like you have seen, there are those the owners have neglected. My recommendation is, get a molded fiberglass unit that doesn’t have a rubber roof, such as the Oliver.
WillB43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 02:18 PM   #23

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillB43 View Post
My recommendation is, get a molded fiberglass unit that doesnít have a rubber roof, such as the Oliver.

Or Escape, Scamp, Casita, Snoozy2, Happier Camper, Bigfoot, and other moulded fibreglass trailers.
Old 11-23-2019, 03:07 PM   #24

Name: Larry
Trailer: In the market
Ontario
I was advised when searching for both Roadtrek and Molded fiberglass trailers the same advice. Be patient but have cash and prepare to act fast when you find the right one. We were lucky with our 2007 Casita. It was in very good shape and only a 4 hour drive from home. They are harder to find in central and eastern Canada.
Lhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 04:13 PM   #25

Name: Michael
Trailer: Former Scamp 13, Former Airstream 16
Connecticut
If you are looking at a used trailer a long distance away, I would recommend one or more extensive phone conversations with the seller. During those conversations, I've found that the seller's care of the unit will reveal itself one way or the other. If they try to hurry you off the phone or are reluctant to answer follow up questions, move on.
pedalmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:51 PM   #26

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
At a budget of $10,000 you will NOT be getting anything close to recent vintage so, you will be seeing OLD, "inexpensive" trailers (which generally do NOT 'hold up" well). Molded fiberglass trailers DO hold up better than "regular" trailers BUT, also hold more of their value (which equals prices beyond your announced budget). I would STRONGLY recommend that you stay AWAY FROM old, "regular" trailers. There's just too much that can be (and usually is) wrong. Unless you're VERY handy and, like VERY involved projects. my recommendation would be to wait until you can afford to spend more. By all means, keep looking. As you've already discovered, there's a LOT of garbage out there but, you may luck out and, be in the right place at the right time.

Something that will GREATLY help you would be to attend an RV Boot Camp. AT RVBC you, along with ~ 200 other newbies, will have all the systems found on a modern RV explained and Demystified. Many attendees with come in their RVs (you can drive in and stay at a local motel or camping cabin). You and your S.O. will have the opportunity to network with many RVers some of whom, will be looking to "graduate" to a different RV (especially when the RVBC is over) and, want to find a buyer for their old RV. The Escapees run an EXCELLENT RVBC (Escapees may have invented the concept of RVBC). Other groups now offer their own versions of this important training (calling their products by different names). Escapees RVBC and FMCA's "RV Basics" runs over two to two and a half days. RVSEF and RV~Dreams run their classes over a week (more social activities). RVBC graduates are safer RVers and, smarter RV buyers. Some insurance companies offer discounts to RVBC graduates.
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote