Mosquitos on screen door nuisance - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-13-2014, 04:05 PM   #1

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Mosquitos on screen door nuisance

Escape Trailers provide a very convenient retracting screen door. The problem is that the mosquitos hover outside and the second the screen door is rolled back they scoot inside and attack me. Don't want to use insecticide in a 60 sq ft trailer. I got the idea of using a fan to blow them away before opening the door. Works great. Even better is the little electric heater with a fan. They really take off with a hot blast from that. I've been entertaining myself all afternoon chasing them away.
Lest you think I'm a sociopath who enjoys pulling the wings off flies, let me tell you that last week I got about 50 mosquito bites that itched like crazy for several days and nights. It's payback time!
Old 06-13-2014, 05:39 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
While the aesthetics are poor, another deterrent is fabric softener sheets used in dryers, like Bounce. Old backpacker method to keep skeeters away was to stuff them in the outside clothing pockets and under your hat. Worked good when I was packing through Jasper!

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:46 PM   #3

Name: Jay
Trailer: former class c now an egg hunter
New York
Mosquitos are tolerable......have you ever dealt with no-see-ums?

They get in your hair and bite...but you don't know it...until after...when the bite swells...two days later it weeps! Lovely! Oh did I mention...they are the size of gnats and will fly thru the screen on your windows?

Benadryl
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:46 PM   #4

British Columbia
Registry
Good idea. I hang a ribbon from a Velcro tab to let me know the screen is closed. (It's pretty easy to accidentally walk thru it.) I'll staple a couple of dryer sheets to the ribbon and see if that discourages them.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:51 PM   #5

British Columbia
Registry
I haven't encountered any no-see-ums here (Quebec) yet. Thank goodness.
I react badly to mosquito bites. Benadryl helps.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
A fan is very effective in moving mosquitoes to the next site. Besides being chemical free.

My daughter is highly allergic to mosquioes, gets horrible histamine reactions from the bites. Benedryl to reduce the swelling and a spoon (the back) pressed against the bite takes the itching down. Stop the itching from a mosquito bite in minutes with this cool trick! | RocketNews24
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:26 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
If you haven't expiriened no-see-ums wellllll you are lucky. They do seem to make skeeters a minor problem. As someone else said they go right through regular window screens. They do make a tighter mesh screen just for no-see-ums. When I was stationed overseas you had to keep a fan blowing on you at night to sleep, low was enough to keep them off you at night.......95%.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:27 PM   #8

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
A fan is very effective in moving mosquitoes to the next site. Besides being chemical free.

My daughter is highly allergic to mosquioes, gets horrible histamine reactions from the bites. Benedryl to reduce the swelling and a spoon (the back) pressed against the bite takes the itching down. Stop the itching from a mosquito bite in minutes with this coolÂ*trick! | RocketNews24

We have the same problem at our house only thing is add to that ANYTHING that bites(ants,bees,wasp,ticks,fleas) well you get the idea.when they were little kids we had to keep powdered sulfur( bright yellow & stinks)spread in our yard,kept stuff out including snakes.We were told to use it by a dermatologist and it work. When we went on the hike/bike trails we would put the stuff on their shoes/socks it worked! One of them out grew it somewhat one did not.
Now we all shower with Tea Tree oil almost all spring/summer or anytime we get into things that bite. Stops the itch kills any bugs on you and makes you feel cool calm & relaxed.I just mix some in my regular body wash
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:07 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Read somewhere on the net, to relieve the pain and itch of a bite, put a dab of toothpaste on it and leave it there for a while. Have not tried it myself, yet.

Sandy C
Sandy Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:24 PM   #10

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Noseeums? Where I live they call 'em 'alljaws'!!
The Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:05 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
DEATH to all mosquitos! Hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em. Just came back from a trip to Michigan, and boy were they thick. Along I-75 we saw clouds of them hovering over the grassy shoulder in the evening. No kidding, they were so thick they looked like clouds of mist. I have never seen them so bad.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:35 PM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Good name Clif, I've always told people that have never had the pleasure to be bitten by them as something you can't see and are all mouth and go through screens like an open window. Mostly they give you a look of "you are crazy". Always hoped that when it did happen to them that they would remember back to what I said. Proof in the puddin' .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:25 AM   #13

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Windex

Windex is my relief. I get terrible welts from mosquito bites, itching like crazy, but all is good in minutes after rubbing on some of the old Original Windex. The ammonia neutralizes the chemicals the bugs inject. It also cleans Scamp windows - believe it or not! I used it long before the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" came out.
Paul

A couple quotes from the movie:
"-You know I had a huge pimple this morning too.
-what happened to it?
-I put some windex on it"
"My dad believed in only two things... That Greeks should educate non-Greeks about being Greek, and that any ailment, from psoriasis to poison ivy, could be cured with Windex."
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote