Most Popular Layouts - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-08-2021, 10:15 PM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
If you travel as a couple who can still sleep in the same bed...
I would say that the most satisfying trailer for traveling and for towing, would be a Scamp16D front bath.
I have owned a Scamp13D front bath for 17 years and have no plans to change, but the 16D offers the optimum in space, comfort, and towability.
Plus it has one of the finest interiors in the industry.

Still.... If you travel with children or live stock, or if you need separate sleeping arrangements, or if you equate space with luxury and have a large tow vehicle, then you would need something larger...

In recent years the Escape has been the choice "du jour" of those who have contracted "threefootitis".
The Escape is a nice trailer and has pandered to "threefootitis" since its inception, (growing ever bigger, year by year)...so you could find one large enough for a comfortable fit which can be towed by a commensurate sized ever larger TV of your choice.
Get what fits you , your lifestyle, and your budget.
Too small can be discouraging, but too big can be also.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 11:09 AM   #22

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
If you travel as a couple who can still sleep in the same bed... I would say that the most satisfying trailer for traveling and for towing, would be a Scamp16D front bath...
I have never quite been able to get past the galley in that layout...
Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Scamp Deluxe Galley.jpg Views: 14 Size: 59.6 KB ID: 144355" style="margin: 2px" />
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 11:38 AM   #23

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Too small can be discouraging, but too big can be also.
I agree totally, and this is defined differently by different owners. For us, this is exactly why we now have the Escape 5.0TA. I did have to downsize the tow vehicle from what I had before though, but was glad to so.

For others, the story differs. Like I said before, there is no right choice that works to suit everyone.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 11:08 AM   #24

Name: Mike
Trailer: None currently
Virginia
I agree with the others that popularity doesn’t matter and everyone’s needs/wants will be different so you need to figure out what will work for you.

We like the Spirit over the Freedom because the side dinette felt like more legroom to us, had a bigger side table and had more storage to top it off. And the option of having a third person stay over was a nice bonus.

We wanted separate sleeping/eating areas and wanted the option of two work areas, so the Spirit/Freedom were the only choices for us in the Casita lineup and the Spirit Deluxe is what we ordered.

-Mike
FloridaNativeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 03:14 PM   #25

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
SD Casita versatility

We have done various configurations with our SD Casita.

1. Full time Southern Mattress bed in back, with side dinette
2. Full time full bed in back, pull out side sofa, to wider twin at night.
3. Wider twin in back, with cushions for a dinette in front of it, and side sofa/twin. What we like the best.
4. Company mode... Take seat coushions in front of back twin out, replace mattress portion to make full bed across back again.

Rather than waste the Southern Mattress, mattress, we took it to a mattress maker, and they cut it to the size we wanted, and they professionally covered the cut area on both pieces. Leaves us the option for a twin or full.

We made the side sofa/bed so bathroom door could open fully when bed slid out to wider size. Just the portion near the door more narrow. During the day it slides back in place and can be used like sofa.

When looking for a floor plan, it might be wise to see how many different arrangements you can make with the floor plan you are choosing. No floor plan is permanent in our SD Casita. With just a little adjustment, it can revert back to any of the setups we want, as well as back to the way it came from the factory.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 05:33 PM   #26

Name: Mike
Trailer: None currently
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry R. View Post
We have done various configurations with our SD Casita.

1. Full time Southern Mattress bed in back, with side dinette
2. Full time full bed in back, pull out side sofa, to wider twin at night.
3. Wider twin in back, with cushions for a dinette in front of it, and side sofa/twin. What we like the best.
4. Company mode... Take seat coushions in front of back twin out, replace mattress portion to make full bed across back again.
That sounds awesome, I would LOVE to see some pictures of those setups, especially #3!

-Mike
FloridaNativeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 09:00 PM   #27

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I agree totally, and this is defined differently by different owners. For us, this is exactly why we now have the Escape 5.0TA. I did have to downsize the tow vehicle from what I had before though, but was glad to so.

For others, the story differs. Like I said before, there is no right choice that works to suit everyone.
Absolutely... every nut needs the right wrench! you can get by with a cresent,channel locks, or pliers but it just ain't the same!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 10:15 PM   #28
air

Name: Art
Trailer: Shopping
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I'm confused what you mean by "larger units". Are you tied to Casita's or Scamps? What about a new Escape 17 or 19 or used Bigfoot 17 or 19?
Excuse my original post for not being clearer. Originally I had been thinking of a scamp 13'. I'm planning on keeping the loaded tow vehicle weight under 3,000 Lbs loaded. If I could afford a carbon fiber unit, that would be the way to go - the lighter the better.

I am not set on any one manufacturer just yet.

Thanks everyone. This topic proved helpful.
air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 08:58 PM   #29

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
we went from a Casita 16 SD to an Escape 21 'classic'.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 09:56 AM   #30

Name: John
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
From escape 21 to Bigfoot 25rq

We owned an Escape 21 for 4 years , while we liked that trailer, we felt a bit cramped as we age. Walk around bed was a big factor, though we would have considered the new escape 23, but delays pushed us into the Bigfoot. We aren’t backcountry boondockers and tend to stay at campgrounds with services. The trailer will tax our tow vehicle, but we will upgrade that in 2023 hopefully when price madness recedes and dealers get hungry again. It’s a pile of money a good 20, 000 more than a loaded escape 21. However we are in our early 70’s and comfort is important. More money than time is my motto. The escape was a fine trailer and I sold it for more than I paid as I was lucky in 2017 with the exchange rate and the pricing in Canadian. Not many issues, but a few. If I was 40 or 50 and camping I’d be happy with a smaller trailer. We will never go gigantic 5th wheel and the length and weight is about the limit that we want to deal with. I do go to music festivals that might not have services so we ordered a solar package. The bottom line is we camped with a very nice trailer and if the budget wasn’t there we would still be in the 21. Lots of factors. However there are fbt for most everyone’s budget and tow capacity. A golden age of trailers I’m my opinion.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote