Most Popular Layouts - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2021, 04:42 PM   #1
air

Name: Art
Trailer: Shopping
New Jersey
Most Popular Layouts

If I were to purchase new I might as well get the larger units with the baths in them. I'm undecided which manufacture to settle on at this time. Making it more complicated is the number of different layouts that are available.

Has anyone polled owners to find out which is the most common layouts they wished or in fact do own? My search skills must be poor. I would think this has been done before. If not to much trouble maybe you could link me to that discussion/poll.

For myself I always thought I'd go with the Freedom model for the Casita. But after looking over their website, I'm not as confident that is so important.

For the Scamp 16' layout 4

Trillium outback: Front Dinette and bed or Mini couch
air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 05:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The best layout is a very personal thing. I wouldn't care what the most popular layout was, if it wouldn't work for me.

I think in the 17' Casita, the SD is the most popular model. But, not the layout I'd buy. I'm partial to the Freedom Deluxe. However I'm also weight proportioned to height and my bucket fits the FD chair buckets. I've noticed those that don't care for the FD tend to be a bit on the larger size.

And so it goes....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 05:34 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
On the Scamp side, at one time layout 4 was the most popular 16' model because it was the only one with a bath. Layout 6 came later and quickly became the favorite for quite a while, especially with retired couples, but recently I've been seeing a resurgence in popularity of layout 4 as more families enter the small-trailer market.

Layout 4 prioritizes sleeping and cooking; the wet bath is so small and height-limited it's almost an afterthought, suitable for occasional use only. Layout 6 prioritizes a full-time dining space and the bath, which is much more usable. The sacrifice is the galley, which has zero counter space.

Every small trailer is an assortment of compromises. As Donna says, only you can decide what works best for you. No photos can tell the whole story. Best way is to get inside some real live trailers.

One way to do that is to visit one of the many molded fiberglass rallies around the country. Most would welcome a day visitor and- with some concessions to the pandemic- many owners would be happy to let you have a look. See the rally map for locations and dates. Contact the event host about the possibility of a visit.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:43 PM   #4

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
I'm not sure there is any model Escape that is more popular. It all depends what you want, and that criteria is different for every owner.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs - 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, that we regret selling, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we also regret selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
I'm not sure there is any model Escape that is more popular. It all depends what you want, and that criteria is different for every owner.

Enjoy,

Perry
Yeah, the layouts are pretty much size based. Except the 19' where the bed and dinette can be flipped end to end. Oh and the 21 C & 21 NE

Scamp and Casita have different layouts in the same size trailer whether it's the 16' Scamp or a 17' Casita.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 07:46 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
The ideal layout will differ from person to person. For me, the Escape 5.0TA was the best for us given our style of camping and where we intended to go. And for how long.

We love the separate bed area, probably the number one thing for us. Lots of other things, like head height, nice dinette area, nice wet bath, and on, and on......

While there are some great layouts in larger trailers, like the Bigfoot 25RT, I just did not want the extra size for some areas we go too, and the fact we want to do lots of extended trips with some distance travelled.

Part of me would have liked a smaller trailer too, but we really like having everything we need in our trailer.

Every brand has winners for some people, and rightfully so. The type of camping we all intend to do into the future will not be the same for everyone.

Regardless of what you may feel is an ideal layout, do remember that you can go out and make wonderful memories in just about any trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 10:06 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
How about a trailer where you design your own layout and can change it to suit your particular needs for your particular type of camping .maybe you are camping by yourself or Significant other and need one Queen sized bed or maybe you are taking the grandkids and need a couple of double beds and a bunk . Maybe you are going to need that full kitchen to cook inside or maybe you plan on fully cooking outside and will not need that kitchen for the weekend and can just leave it at home for that extra space in the trailer , can you have it both ways . Yes you can.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 11:53 AM   #8
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The best layout is a very personal thing. I wouldn't care what the most popular layout was, if it wouldn't work for me.

I think in the 17' Casita, the SD is the most popular model. But, not the layout I'd buy. I'm partial to the Freedom Deluxe. However I'm also weight proportioned to height and my bucket fits the FD chair buckets. I've noticed those that don't care for the FD tend to be a bit on the larger size.

And so it goes....
Donna's point is a good one. While the Spirit (deluxe) is the most popular Casita, the two we owned were both the Liberty layout. Both the Spirit and Freedom have little side dinette, with a bulkhead separating the area from the larger dinette/bed at the back. To me it seems very crowded. The Liberty (and Independence) models have longer windows on each side, and without that bulkhead, it seems like a larger space - even though I know it's not, of course. We preferred it, even though it meant setting up the small dinette in the middle IF we needed it (which wasn't mostly the case).

Getting inside some of these trailers really is the best advice... Best wishes for your search! (Have fun!)
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 08:23 PM   #9

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi,

In 2015, once Laura and I figured out that our Kia Rondo could not even tow a Scamp 13 (big bed with bath), we decided that we would opt for a Scamp 16 or Casita 17 knowing that we would buy a used mid-sized SUV to tow it. The primary criteria was that the camper must have a “permanent” bed, a wet bath, and a place to sit independent of the bed. We ended up with a 2005 Casita 17 Freedom Deluxe. I quickly discovered that my favorite feature of our Casita were the swivel chairs. After nearly 6 years of camping, the swivel chairs are still my favorite feature. Laura likes to lounge on the bed to read. Not me. I like to sit when relaxing. We will eat at the 2 person dinette. After a meal, I can swivel my chair and stretch my legs in the aisle. When we watch a movie on my large iPad, I sit at the dinette in a swivel chair while Laura lies in bed. Works for us. The feature I like best, was not specifically on our list when we bought the camper. If we ever upgrade to an Oliver LEII or a Escape 23, I will miss the swivel chairs in our Casita Freedom Deluxe.

Happy Camping,

Dean
DeanCHS1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 09:36 PM   #10

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita 17 FD
Florida
FD Layout

We own the Casita 17 FD, and for us it is best. I would say that the FD is great for just one or two campers of average size. The swivel chairs are very comfortable and located conveniently.

We keep the bed in the rear up all the time, and we purchased a Southern Mattress that fits permanently. We would never want to go through setting up the bed every night and sleeping on the thin factory cushions.

The downsides are that the FD, unlike the SD, offers no option to have a third guest sleep in the trailer, although one would only want to do that for a night or two because the trailer would be so packed. There is no room, even on the flor for a 3rd in the FD However, for us that is rare or non-existent.

Another tradeoff is that one gives up a little storage that the SD bench seats offer, but we can put a lot of small things on the floor behind the swivel chairs and come out close to what we could in the SD.

Hope this helps, and feel free to ask more about it....

Gator
GatorCasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 08:30 AM   #11

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
We thought we wanted a Casita with the swivel chairs but decided to go to the factory and check them out in person. We ended up getting the SD. IIRC the swivel chairs were not as comfortable as we'd hoped. We are not XL, btw. The dinette seating isn't particularly comfortable either. I usually lounge on the bed to read but my wife is ok with the dinette. YMMV. I think we could adapt to any of the configurations, as long as it had a bath with proper toilet and black tank. Not to discount the comforts of heating, running water, stove,etc but having our own clean "facilities" is what really elevates the trailer above a van or tent.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:00 AM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
I really like the Lil Snoozy and Snoozy II design. The fiberglass shell is super strong and mounted on a galvanized trailer, so it will last a long time. The door in the back is somewhat unique for RV trailers. It enables transport of items like kayaks, bicycles, surfboards, inside the unit. They are all electric but propane can be added, They also custom build them. I built mine from an empty shell with boondocking in mind.

Here is a link.

https://snoozy2.com/
Old 12-05-2021, 07:30 PM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I really like our Escape 21 classic. the bed is a rv queen, which is actually a 'full XL' mattress size, queen length but 6" narrower, and its mounted longitudinally so noone has to climb over the other. Only thing nicer would be a 'walk around queen' which would require a significantly larger trailer (Bigfoot 25RB for example).

we really like the large U shaped dinette in the rear, the big fridge in the middle across from a stove+oven, there's a ton of storage in the E21, adequate counter space for food prep, and a full wet bath.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 03:40 PM   #14

Name: Dan
Trailer: Casita 17 SD
Florida
Picking a FG trailer layout

Getting out of the way first, I have a Casita 17 SD and should I upgrade it would be to a Liberty or Independence model.

A lot depends on your physical size and what your sleeping arrangement needs to be. Also the size of your preferred tow vehicle would be. If you need separate bathroom trips during the night a layout with a double bed sleeping arrangement is not ideal. I had to deal with this for my SD. A Casita can safely be towed anywhere with a myriad of V6 powered SUV or current smaller pickups. I have a Dodge Durango with the V6.

Larger trailers will require larger tow vehicles. The Oliver 23 needs one rated at or above 7000# so the owner has to decide if the tug is something they feel comfortable driving every day. Few of us can have a dedicated tug and in that case possibly a drivable RV could be a better choice.

Lots to consider and if you want to go off road and boondock even more to mull around.
JaxDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 04:17 PM   #15

Name: Suzanne and Boe
Washington
What matters to you

Mostly everyone here loves what the have but also most went thru a process to get to their decision. Decide what matters most and go see as many as you can. For us it was permanent bed bathroom and sitting area that was comfortable. We are on our second Casita FD. First one used and after we knew the space would work well we got a new one. Husband is 6 1 and 230lbs loves his captain chair. Grandkids get a tent when they come.
Best wishes on the hunt!!
Boe and Suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 05:47 PM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxDan View Post
Getting out of the way first, I have a Casita 17 SD and should I upgrade it would be to a Liberty or Independence model... If you need separate bathroom trips during the night a layout with a double bed sleeping arrangement is not ideal.
Our other RV has a somewhat unusual bed that works remarkably well for us in a small space. It's basically a longways king with a center aisle at the foot end. The head end is very roomy and preserves the feeling of a shared bed for a couple. The notch allows easy movement for nighttime potty runs without disturbing your partner. Working out the bedding takes some creativity, but it's doable. The notch can be filled in to make a single large bed, but we never do.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roadtrek Bed.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	334.0 KB
ID:	144347

I mention it here because you can have pretty much the same thing in a Casita Liberty.

I'm with you about the limitations of a transverse double for a couple.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:51 PM   #17

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by air View Post
If I were to purchase new I might as well get the larger units with the baths in them. I'm undecided which manufacture to settle on at this time. Making it more complicated is the number of different layouts that are available.

Has anyone polled owners to find out which is the most common layouts they wished or in fact do own? My search skills must be poor. I would think this has been done before. If not to much trouble maybe you could link me to that discussion/poll.

For myself I always thought I'd go with the Freedom model for the Casita. But after looking over their website, I'm not as confident that is so important.

For the Scamp 16' layout 4

Trillium outback: Front Dinette and bed or Mini couch
I'm confused what you mean by "larger units". Are you tied to Casita's or Scamps? What about a new Escape 17 or 19 or used Bigfoot 17 or 19?

Obviously, your TV will be a determining factor. The length of a particular fiberglass trailer does not directly conflate with its weight. So it's possible to have a tow vehicle better suited for a Casita than an Escape; or an Escape over a Bigfoot of the same length.

Also if you currently have or plan to have a truck you can consider a fifth wheel. I personally love 5th wheel floor plans, but need my TV storage space to carry my dogs and training equipment.

There are other considerations in selecting a trailer: How many people will be joining you in your trailer? Do you plan to hook up your trailer for most if not all of your camping trips, or do you plan to do a fair amount of dry camping? How long will your camping trips last? What months? What region of the country will you be traveling? If you are planning to use it in warmer months (spring, summer, early fall) and use hook ups, you will not be as concerned with installation. Maybe the Scamp, Casita or Trillium will work for you, particular if you plan for relatively short camping trips. If you're planning on dry camping during winter months you'll want something that will provide better insulation (Escape or Bigfoot).

As a single camper, I found my BF 19 to be the perfect size. I slept on the gaucho couch (which converted into a bed), and had a dedicated eating area. It had a marine bathroom adjacent to the couch which was relatively large compared with the Escape & Casitas. That gaucho, in couch position, was really nice for stretching out when reading and listening to music. The dinette worked fine when eating or working on may computer. Sort of like the best of two worlds.

What I liked about the floor plan was:
  • the door was located near the dinette, you did not enter the trailer next to the bed
  • the sleeping area was separated from the galley.
  • there was a dedicated eating & sleeping area
  • Truly great storage
  • a full galley with a stovetop, oven & cupboard with outlet for microwave
  • the dinette table was close to galley counter, giving me extra space for meal prepping

The other thing I liked about this trailer was that it had basement storage areas. The main one was located under the dinette area, in the front of the trailer. It also had a small cubby hole just above the grey & back water tanks where I all the dumping equipment: knee cushion, gloves, hose, sewage hose adopter; plus a small tool chest.

You should think about the weight configuration of the trailer. My BF 19 had a hefty tongue weight which allowed me to mount a backup generator on the back of the trailer. The weight configuration on our BF 21 is different, and does not allow me to carry a generator.

The thing I did not like about the BF 19 was the gaucho couch wasn't particularly comfortable as a bed. Even so, this was not bothersome enough for me to directly address. Also, though not a problem for me, neither the dinette bed or gaucho couch was long enough for a tall person.

If I were buying a brand new fiberglass trailer in which I planned to solo, I'd consider a Escape over a Casita or Scamp. They are constantly trying to improve their campers and allow for a fair amount of customization. Escapes have basement storage units. They also offer an insulation package. I'd probably go with an Escape 19 because of it's floor plan: a larger bath mid cabin, and, as Donna suggested, you can flip the bed and dinette area. The cabin is not as airy as my BF 19 and my BF had better storage.

If you have a family or a significant other, you may want to get into a "larger" trailer. Then I'd consider a new Escape 21 or a used BF 21. Again, you have to consider your TV's towing capacity.

When my husband retired, we decided to purchase another trailer and looked at the Escape 19, 21 and Bigfoot 21. I loved my BF 19 and my heart drew me to a BF 21, which has a similar floor plan to the BF 19. The bathroom has a separate shower my husband prefers; and an additional pantry storage in the galley. Weirdly enough, the BF 19 had similar amount of storage, just organized in a manner that did not work for my newly retired husband.

Age and physical flexibility is important. Young couples can snuggle in smaller beds and have no problem crawling over each other. I did sell the BF19 to a young couple with a small child. They did not have concerns converting the dinette. There was room on the couch for their child and I believe they will enjoy the trailer for many years. I do not think a tall man would feel comfortable in that couch or dinette bed.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:05 PM   #18

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
How about a rare one

Quote:
Originally Posted by air View Post
I tried several RVs on for size before I picked my first. None were for me, then when I entered the correct one it just felt right.
But here is a 13' Scamp that is called a one of a kind every time I see one for sale. Picture is odd because it was taken through the window. It's my late sisters FRONT KITCHEN DELUXE built before Scamp used the term deluxe.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0688.jpg   IMG_0690.jpg  

AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:10 PM   #19

Name: John
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Hawaii
If I were looking for a smaller trailer, I would get the Oliver Legacy Elite. This 18' trailer is certainly top notch!
Geronimo John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:45 PM   #20

Name: RamblinRick
Kansas
Sleeping arrangements and ease of towing were the two most important characteristics to my wife and me. We went with the 17 ft Casita Independence.

The separate beds are nice as I like firm and my wife is Princess and the pea.

Also she feels comfortable pulling the Casita with our Ford Expedition.

We are four years along and thrilled with the purchase and thrilled with Casita quality.
richardabush is offline   Reply With Quote