Motorcycle Towing Vehicle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2011, 09:34 AM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2011 Keystone Alpine 3500RE
Ohio
Registry
Motorcycle Towing Vehicle

Hi Folks -

I already have a travel trailer, but love to travel on my Harley Davidson. With these molded fiberglass trailers getting lighter every generation, I'm wondering if anyone on here might be able to recommend a manufacturer that is making a good quality unit that can safely be towed with a 1450cc Harley-Davidson Wide Glide.

Thanks

Dave
https://www.holmanrv.net
5thwheelreviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:36 PM   #2

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
Have ridden Harleys for years-current bike is a newer Road King. I know and know of several riders who have gotten in big trouble pulling a trailer made for motorcycles. In my opinion motorcycles+ trailers= bad juju. I take a week or two motorcycle trip every summer and the same for trailer camping. Different type of trip and not to be mixed IMHO.
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:41 PM   #3

Ohio
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid Larsen View Post
Have ridden Harleys for years-current bike is a newer Road King. I know and know of several riders who have gotten in big trouble pulling a trailer made for motorcycles. In my opinion motorcycles+ trailers= bad juju. I take a week or two motorcycle trip every summer and the same for trailer camping. Different type of trip and not to be mixed IMHO.
Well, that isn't the advice I was hoping to hear, but I've fortunately reached well beyond that age whereby I take advice from those who have experience. Looks like the motorcycle trips will continue with the pup-tent and sleeping bag. ..and eating at Waffle House (Yummie)

Thanks for sharing... Much appreciated.

Dave
Old 04-15-2011, 12:21 AM   #4

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thwheelreviews View Post
Well, that isn't the advice I was hoping to hear, but I've fortunately reached well beyond that age whereby I take advice from those who have experience. Looks like the motorcycle trips will continue with the pup-tent and sleeping bag. ..and eating at Waffle House (Yummie)
Dave
Well, you could just get an Airstream and pull it

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FpnbRh9d96...+Airstream.jpg

D*
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:59 AM   #5

Trailer: 75 Trillium 13 ft
While not fiberglass, LittleGuy makes a small model that can be pulled behind larger bikes:
Little Guy The All New Little Guy JOEY Teardrop Camper Trailer
Little Guy Little Guy Rascal Teardrop Camper Trailer

I've previously owned a larger model LittleGuy, and it was a good place to sleep to stay off the ground, but no comparison to our Trillium for utility and interior space
Liz&Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:43 AM   #6

Ohio
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDon View Post
Well, you could just get an Airstream and pull it

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FpnbRh9d96...+Airstream.jpg

D*

...Or even better

Old 04-15-2011, 09:17 AM   #7

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft (Fluffer-Nugget)
Registry
I'm gonna have to throw a wrench in here....My parents are avid motorcyclist and ride a Honda Goldwing towing a Combi Camp pop-up style trailer and have never had an issue in over 20 years!
I wouldn't give up on the idea, just make sure your towing the right trailer and of course use common sense.

The picture is of a Combi Camp but it's not my parents and the picture at Dry Falls in WA is my husband and I riding last summer on our bikes, Kawasaki ZX14 (hubbys) Honda Hawk GT 650 (mine! ).
May all your roads be twisty!
Cheers!
Emily
Attached Thumbnails
K1100LT with CombiCamp.JPG   IMG_5644.JPG  

IMG_5650.JPG   IMG_5642.JPG  

Emily R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:24 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thwheelreviews View Post
...Or even better

Hilarious!
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Emily, I too have friends that are avid Goldwing riders and have towed a tent trailer with their cycles for years. Never any problems. I can't believe how BIG that trailer is when the ends are folded out. They care a cooler and lawn chairs on top just like the picture you posted. I think people just need to be careful when towing a trailer... no matter WHAT the tug.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
We saw this one parked near us in Trindad, CO one morning in 2009.

Did not see the name of the trailer. But from the link provided by Liz&Kiv, I would say it was a Little Guy Rascal. http://www.golittleguy.com/teardrops/models/rascal/

But these are not molded fiberglass, "tubular steel frame and light-weight composite materials". May not have any molded fiberglass ones? I am not sure if many of the molded fiberglass TT are getting lighter each year, if any. Seems they are going larger not smaller. Only one I can think of which is pretty light is the Little Joe. http://www.weiscrafttrailers.com/littlejoe.html
Esps'l the Roughneck. http://www.weiscrafttrailers.com/roughneck.html
Not sure if it would work for a motorcycle or not?

There are these:
http://www.neoshotrailers.com/

http://www.jdtrailers.com/
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:59 AM   #11

Name: Dee
Trailer: "Trilliam Morris" 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Registry
We pulled a fiberglass cargo trailer for about 20 years with our old Goldwing (1200cc) & never had a problem. Always made sure the trailer was packed evenly & the tongue weight was right. DH says the only thing he can remember is in Colorado he pulled out to pass a motorhome & the bike wasn't happy at that altitude so he just pulled back in behind.
Can't suggest the make of trailer as we bought one here in Canada that is no longer made, but Bushtec out of California has one of the highest rated out there & Combi camp is another that people really like if you want a tent trailer. Go to a rally like Americade etc & you'll see all kinds of trailer manufacturers there.
DeeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:29 PM   #12

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
I guess on a trailer site I should have guessed that the overwhelming sentiment would be pro trailer. What can I say? I won't compromise my safety by pulling one. Maybe invoke brand loyalty and note that all pro trailer messages involve Hondas- Gold wings no less. If you must please be careful and watch out for the draft behind big trucks and what ever you do don't let a trailer wheel slip off the pavement in a corner. I can pack a tent, sleeping bag, air mattress, collapsible cooler and cook kit w/ single burner stove and clothes etc. w/ out a trailer. What more do you need?
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #13

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
I have trouble staying on a bicyle with my water bottle fully loaded.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:01 PM   #14

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
My brother puts thousands of miles on every year, he drives a 2006 roadking, previously a 96 roadking. He pulls a Lee-sure-lite trailer when he feels like it, and has never had any issues, just leave more room for stopping, like any other rig pulling a trailer.

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #15

Name: Dee
Trailer: "Trilliam Morris" 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
I guess on a trailer site I should have guessed that the overwhelming sentiment would be pro trailer. What can I say? I won't compromise my safety by pulling one. Maybe invoke brand loyalty and note that all pro trailer messages involve Hondas- Gold wings no less. If you must please be careful and watch out for the draft behind big trucks and what ever you do don't let a trailer wheel slip off the pavement in a corner. I can pack a tent, sleeping bag, air mattress, collapsible cooler and cook kit w/ single burner stove and clothes etc. w/ out a trailer. What more do you need?
I think that you already compromise your safety by riding a motorcycle, so I don't know that that argument holds much water.
After 30 years of motorcycling & yes we did the 2 up touring, camping thing, we feel we need a good nights sleep which for me doesn't happen on a pad on the ground & to have more than a can of chili or beans every night, cooking on a one burner stove. We travel in all kinds of weather, not just in the warm summer & that entails rain gear, a bit larger tent for all your wet things at night, a lantern, 2 burner stove, COFFEE POT (the single most important item) etc... good luck getting all that on even a Gold wing!
Sorry you feel that it's unsafe but if we only did things that were guaranteed safe you would never step out of your house. Pulling a trailer has allowed us to travel across the US & Canada in relative comfort & we have never felt unsafe in cornering, nor do we allow ourselves to follow trucks close enough to back draft.
DeeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:31 PM   #16

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
You could always get one of those bassakwards Can Am trikes.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:58 PM   #17

Ohio
Registry
Quote:
I'm leaning against pulling a trailer on the Harley. And yeah, many of the pro-towing are Goldwings which is basically a car with two wheels. You can go 100,000 miles on a bike with no issues, but it only takes one to change your life. Now I'm looking into how I can have a platform fabricated and welded to the frame of my 5th Wheel and just carry the bike along. Nevertheless, I really do appreciate everyone's input on this...
Old 05-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #18

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Hi Dave

Maybe you made up your mind too soon...
This belongs to new member "Dennis In Texas", According to his Avatar

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:46 PM   #19

Ohio
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Hi Dave

Maybe you made up your mind too soon...
This belongs to new member "Dennis In Texas", According to his Avatar

Francesca

BaaHaahhaahahhaahhaa. I love it !!! Maybe if I were just 40 years younger :-)
Old 05-14-2011, 10:06 PM   #20

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Hello again, Dave

I did inquire of Dennis in Texas re. details, especially as to whether or not it came with the one-Texan-horsepower propulsion system as pictured.
I haven't heard back, as yet.
If it does come so equipped, maybe you and your motorcycle could just ride along inside...
You did entitle this thread "Motorcycle-towing VEHICLE", after all. And here it is!
It does look as if it's practically got your name- well, at least your screen name- on it.
Given your apparent interest in 5th wheel technology, I mean.
I think you'd have to look a l-o-o-o-ng time to find a better example of placing "the payload" as nicely between the axles...

...Happy trails to you...
..............Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote