Motorcyle & RV question... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-02-2018, 10:50 AM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: '87 13'scamp, 2006 Chevy1500
FL / MN
Motorcyle & RV question...

I continue to plan and research. I really like the 5th wheel 19' scamp (dedicated sleeping area). However, I continue to go back to the 16' with a big bed option because I would like to bring my M/C with me in the back of the truck. When I mean motorcycle I'm thinking my little 250cc or the largest would be the KLR650 (dry weight a little less the 400#).

Has anyone brought their m/c with them while pulling the RV?

Any creative ways to load the m/c onto the tow vehicle or trailer?

Maybe I should just give up the motorcycle altogether...
stevebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:32 AM   #2

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
if you use a truck has the required capacity, I see no reason why you cannot haul a motorcycle in the bed while towing a conventional, non 5th wheel, type Scamp.

I don't think you will find anyone who would recommend carrying a 400 lb. MC on a Scamp trailer of any configuration.

As for loading and unloading the MC from the bed of the truck, the only logical way I can think of is to go straight in over the tailgate using a ramp designed for that use. I think the trailer would need to be unhitched to do that.
Nor Cal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:36 AM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Beside our boler we also have a truck and 5th wheel.
I like the 5th for what of has, dedicated bed, full bathroom, big fridge, furnace, blah, blah, blah.
But, dislike it making the box of the truck unusable!
Yes, you can't take it all with you but a klr in the box in the Kootenays would be
MORE BETTER!!
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:44 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Steve, I take my MC with me at times. I placed a piano hinge on one side of my fiberglass topper, and a pneumatic spring strut to help tilt the unit to one side. I have 2 foldable ramps that connect together to form a 48” wide platform. I use a Harbor Freight ATV winch secured in the truck bed to winch the MC into the bed rearend first, as I sit on the MC to keep it steady. Where there is a will there is a way.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:59 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: '87 13'scamp, 2006 Chevy1500
FL / MN
David B, so motorcycle is in the truck bed, correct? 5th wheel scamp then would not work, correct?

thanks,
-steve
stevebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:23 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebell View Post
David B, so motorcycle is in the truck bed, correct? 5th wheel scamp then would not work, correct?

thanks,
-steve
Steve, we have a dedicated full sized home queen bed in our Lil Snoozy....so no 5th wheel needed.
Dave & Paula
Old 12-02-2018, 12:26 PM   #7

Registry
Photo
Attached Thumbnails
75E3F955-A843-4E82-8173-96BDAB6C689C.jpg  
Old 12-02-2018, 01:42 PM   #8

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Wink MC and Trailer?

We have a 6' bed truck and I still miss our bikes..sold the last one over a year ago (my Suzuki 650 DualSport) My wife had a light weight Yamaha 250 dual sport wh would have been fine to haul in our truck bed. We have the 17' Casita Independence w the separate twin bed setup so no 5th wheel needed.
I occasionally see guys fooling w light weight MCs at campgrounds tho....but we decided that there is just too much camping gear we need to put in the truck: 2200W generator, Clam, chairs, gas can, tool box, etc etc.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:20 PM   #9

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
Hi Steve,

I have done it two different ways with an 850lb ATV. I like the double trailer (pictured below) the best. Reason number one is loading an ATV or a motorcycle into the bed of a pickup is a dangerous proposition. Reason number two is you have to unhook the trailer to get the machine out of the truck. Reason number three is the small trailer is only about 14 inches off of the ground and much easier, quicker and safer to load and unload the machine.

Of course there are disadvantages to a double trailer. Backing is doable but a little tricky. And doubles are not legal in all states. I see you are in Tennessee and I believe it is ok there as well as Mississippi, Kentucky, Illinois, and Arkansas. Its not legal in Alabama or any of the East Coast states. You would have to look that all of that up. In my case, I have had to detour around Arizona and Minnesota because I have a double bumper pull setup. A fifth wheel double is ok in both. Other than that all of the Western States are good except Oregon and Washington.

With a fifth wheel front trailer such as the Scamp you are talking the second trailer would tow really well and is acceptable in more states. You do have to wire a plug for the second trailer lights and brakes. My ATV trailer is an Aluma brand model 548 which has a 54" x 96" bed. It weighs 310 lbs. I have had it four years. Seems like I gave $1,400 for it. I have pulled it double 15,000 miles at speeds up to 75mph with no problem, except this summer a tire tread came off and tore one of the fenders off the little trailer while I was going across Wyoming.
Attached Thumbnails
Double trouble.jpeg   IMG_1374.jpg  

Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:30 PM   #10

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
I have only owned bumper pulls over the years. I have never towed a trailer behind another trailer except one time back in 1970. Pulled a boat behind another boat 250 miles to deliver the towed boat and with a car and not a pickup. For the last 20+ years I have owned two atvs. One is a Honda sport 4 wheeler for when the wife thinks she will not want to ride (they have since made riding two up illegal if it is not made for two). My other one is a side by side so we can both ride together. The Honda fits fine in a 6' bed but the side by side Yamaha is longer and the rear wheels sit on the tailgate. A 12" receiver stinger moved the trailer back enough that turning was no problem. I replaced the tailgate cables with stainless steel brackets to support the weight. Many chevy owners will remember when they had a recall on the cables because the crimped ends came off. If we are going on a longer trip, I jack up the rear of the Yamaha side by side and put jack stands under it just inside the bed so that the tailgate does not support any weight. Done this several times from Dallas to the Glamis Sand Dunes in Ca. without a single problem. The Yamaha has a bed on it and I carry my two Honda generators, fuel cans and other stuff I usually don't need in that bed. Our last trailer was a 31' bumper pull Carriage. But that is another story that went afoul. For loading a motorcycle, I would make sure the ramp is wide enough that you can walk beside the bike and motor it up, not try to ride it. It's bad enough riding a 4 wheeler up into a tall truck. Just my 2 cents worth.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:39 PM   #11

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Stevebell- I posted the link to a Casita pulling a trailer with a side by side atvs that is posted on the Casitatraveltrailer.com web site. On their home page, go to Resources and scroll down to Gallery. I think it is #67 on page 2. I have been considering giving this a try. I would like to talk to the guy or someone that tows triple a lot. If researching for state laws, pulling a trailer behind another is called triple towing and some call it double.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:47 PM   #12

Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I carried my dirt bikes and Quads in the box of my truck for years. I used a ramp fitted to the tail gate for loading and then attached my bumper pull trailer.
I currently carry two Quads. I have a quad deck in the box of my truck and load from the side. That way I don't have to disconnect my trailer to access my quads.
I've seen folks tow an ATV trailer behind their TT but I haven't done that yet as I wouldn't have the skill to back up with that arrangement.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:28 PM   #13

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
I thought about loading like this, but I'll need a little practice!
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:17 PM   #14

Name: Scott
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebell View Post
Maybe I should just give up the motorcycle altogether...
Steve, let's not start thinking irrationally......lol. My wife and I are motorcyclists first and summer vacations are generally a 3 week motorcycle tent camping trip. We ended up with the fiberglass trailer 4 years ago when I suggested we truck the small bikes (KLX250 and XT225) to Death Valley to camp & ride, but when I mentioned the snakes, scorpions and tarantulas I got the stink eye and a few expletives. Since my truck was only a 4 cyl Tacoma I knew it had to be something light so I found our Trillium 1300.

We have towed the trailer (1300lbs dry) with the bikes (combined 600lbs) in the truck to Death Valley from Victoria, BC twice. Unfortunately, I can not close the tailgate so I use an 18" extension so I can hitch/unhitch. Overall, the setup worked and towed great with mountain passes being the exception, but that's because of the 4 cyl power. I've cured that for the 2019 DV trip with a V6 Tacoma. I love the Tacoma for the sliding tie down rails and I installed extra D-rings in the bed as well so I had 8 tie downs per bike. I also installed Firestone Air Bags to help level the truck. For loading and unloading I carried a 7' dirt bike ramp and a crate to step on. I walk beside the bike stepping onto the crate and then the bed and my wife pushes from behind. We've not had any issues. I once had my KLR650 fall off the truck taking me with it when it spun the ramp out while idling it up (lesson learned: always strap ramps to truck).

I considered camperizing a Promaster or similar and towing the bikes in a trailer, but my wife likes the idea of being able to leave the trailer at the campsite while running into town for supplies. I have to admit she is wise.

Good luck with your decision and keep the rubber side down.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
P1030764 (resize).jpg  
2morebeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:03 AM   #15

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe MacDonald View Post
how about something like this?

Pricey but effective
No link shows....???
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:10 AM   #16

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
options

Here's an option:
Attached Thumbnails
ASHS_pic_02a.jpg  
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:55 PM   #17

Name: Shawn
Trailer: 2021 Bigfoot 25B25RT. Prior units: 2019 Escape 21, 2001 Casita SD17
Kentucky
I have double towed two dualsport motorcycles and a Honda Pioneer SXS with my previous Casita. I have a newer Tundra crew max, and Aluma 638 Trailer. This towed great behind the Casita and hopefully this setup will be even better behind the Escape 21 that I have on order. The hitch on the rear of the Casita was from OMW, which was very heavy duty. Never a problem.
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:43 PM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2morebeer View Post
...I considered camperizing a Promaster or similar and towing the bikes in a trailer, but my wife likes the idea of being able to leave the trailer at the campsite while running into town for supplies...
You could also use the Promaster as your tow vehicle and transport your bikes out of the weather and away from covetous eyes. Easier to load, too. Subject to payload limits, of course, but properly equipped cargo vans can rival or exceed pickup trucks.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:53 PM   #19

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Steve, Do you think a rail- or bed-mounted, pivoting crane might work to lift your bikes into the bed of your pickup (see heavy duty example below)? Northern Tool offers a variety depending on lift needs.
Attached Thumbnails
Utiity truck crane.jpg  
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:17 PM   #20

Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
You could also use the Promaster as your tow vehicle and transport your bikes out of the weather and away from covetous eyes. Easier to load, too. Subject to payload limits, of course, but properly equipped cargo vans can rival or exceed pickup trucks.
I agree. If I were planning to haul a motorcycle(s) while simultaneously pulling a trailer, I would be looking into a cargo van. What weight capacity van would be determined by the size of the trailer and overall planned load. A cargo van would give you the option of loading the motorcycle through the side door thus negating the need to unhitch while loading. Also, an enterprising camping devotee could build in some kind of fold down bed from the side wall which would give you a spare bedroom.
Nor Cal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote