MPG - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2015, 11:57 AM   #21

Name: Harvey
Trailer: 1972 Trillium
Nova Scotia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
We have been driving today in a Toyota Camry and it seems to have good power at low speed, but on the road it is weak compared with our tdi.
Even a small hill it has to downshift an the reported mpg so far at approximately 150 moles is 28.5.
This is a short distance at 70 and most at 55 on Indiana ' back roads to Connersville. Not particularly comfy nor impressed power to mileage.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
You have way more torque with your TDI, that makes the difference, especially on hills.

Harvey
Harvey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:17 PM   #22

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I guess my point is the less than 30 MPG Camry and the adjusted for high price Diesel when it was much higher than RUG then the power and torque more than compensates for the difference. ( By the way we get around 25 mpg with the 2.0 TDI Diesel.
Today driving through Indiana the cost of Diesel was less than RUG so the advantage is the the VW TDI.This was the reason for buying another JSW TDI when we decided the 235,000 miles on the 2009 was getting on up there. While the cost of fuel may go up again the where the equivalent gas price cost per mile is better the added torque is probably worth the extra.
Just a moment to explain our liking of the TDI. The handling is very good with the IRS and the center of gravity is low and the suspension is very well behaved, towing or not. It is a car that has long legs and is very good traveling long distances.
The VW Tiguan is rated for towing and it's suspension is pretty good. Actually it is built on the same platform as the Golf (Jetta Sportwagen is a Golf every where else in the world. Golf Variant, Estate, or Kombi) just expanded upward. The suspension is for all practical purposes is the same. Tiguan springs will fit and give about the same ride height. The Tiguan is "tippier" with the higher CG and the sport wagen actually has more interior room although there is less rear legroon in the JSW.
The Tiguan is delivered with only the old 2.0 TSI engine and 6 speed slush box automatic and at best gets 26 mpg. More horsepower, much less torque and seems slower and has less punch. In the rest of the world the 2.0 TDI 140 hp is rated for more towing capacity than the higher hp gas engined one. Well over 4000 lbs.
The rating is has more to do with the weight of the car than the towing capability of the drivetrain. My OPINION is that the JSW when properly equipped is very capable of towing the Scamp class of eggs and does it with panache and safety with economy.
There are downsides of the TDI VWs in regards to the cost of some problems related to the TDI. These are in regards to the High Pressure Fuel Pump, 140,000 mile timing belt changes, Diesel Particulate Filters, Dual Mass Flywheels etc and air conditioner weirdness.
Having cussed the VW over those 235,000 miles I have made peace with the thing and can appreciate the good things it does and respect the care it needs, but it is not for everyone. That being said if any modern car has problems they can also be expensive to repair if you are unlucky.
So here I go continuing with my low slung station wagon towing moer than it is rated for in the US.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote