Mt. Washington, NH - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-14-2017, 01:34 PM   #1

Name: Toinette
Trailer: 2011 Egg Camper #101, the Abel Egg, pulled by 2019 Nissan PathFinder
Alabama
Registry
Mt. Washington, NH

I am thinking about trying to see Mt. Washington, NH, next year, and wondered about the following info on the Mt. Washington State Park webpage:

"The Cog Railway has a strict 'no pets on trains' policy. Mt Washington Auto Road's Hiker Shuttle will transport pets at drivers discretion, if allowed the per person rate may be applied."

I am wondering if anyone has ever used the shuttle with a pet, and if so, would you please let us know what it is, and what you thought about it?

Thanks!
in the Abel Egg, 2011 EggCamper #101
TWelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:28 AM   #2

Name: Thomas
Trailer: 2016 ,17ft Spirt deluxe Casita.
Florida
My Washington

I was there last year,on my maiden voiage after picking up my Casita. At that time I chose to take the " Cog Railway " , I parked my rig in the lot and took the 2 nd train. At that time I didn't see any pets, only people. A word of advice, bring a warm jacket to wear at the top. I was there in July and it was 86 at the base, and 38 at the top and 50+ mph winds...Enjoy the day...
ironbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:59 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbutt View Post
... A word of advice, bring a warm jacket to wear at the top. I was there in July and it was 86 at the base, and 38 at the top and 50+ mph winds...Enjoy the day...
Ditto this advice. One August, I climbed Mt Washington, up through Tuckerman Ravine, and stayed the night at Lake in the Cloud hut. In the morning we were snowed in. Not so much snow on the ground as blizzard-like blowing snow conditions. They didn't let us leave until later in the afternoon.

There can be Wild and Wooly weather up there. But worth the trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Mount Washington - Lake of the Clouds and Mount Monroe a.JPG  
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:06 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We haven't been up Mt Washington in over 40 years. Drove up twice, once in a '67 GMC pickup, next time in a '69 Ford Bronco. Not only is the temperature much lower up there, but the air is thinner too. At that time they were using 9 passenger vans or Suburbans to take people up that didn't want to drive themselves. The road gets narrower near the top, you're above the tree line, and long drop off the sides. I've seen people panic and not pull over to let oncoming traffic by. First time we went up the old hotel was there, next time it was gone and a new building in it's place. The little weather station that had big chains over the roof to hold it down was there, think it still is. I remember way back then one of the cog railway cars had a brake malfunction, went off the track and killed some passengers, a failproof system was installed after that incident.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:14 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
If you do come up to the area let me know as I am just over the state line and we can do a mini camp rally with us.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:47 PM   #6

Name: Toinette
Trailer: 2011 Egg Camper #101, the Abel Egg, pulled by 2019 Nissan PathFinder
Alabama
Registry
Mt. Washington

Thanks everyone for the wonderful replies! It's really good to know that they a reliable cog train now!

Gerry, we'd love to meet you and have that mini-rally! Wonder if we could rustle up more eggs to join it!

If they still use the 9-passenger vehicles to drive people to the top, maybe that is what is referenced in the above quote. . . . I'm sure before we headed that way, we would call them to see. I was just wondering if anyone in the group here had used that before.. .

Thanks again, folks. I appreciate it!
in the Abel Egg, 2011 EggCamper #101
TWelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:09 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Been to the top more times then I can count but it was all by foot travel. Last time was years ago after a total hip replacement and that was the last time for me walking the 12 mile round trip
In May I do host the Spring Fling in New England Rally but that would be too early to get to the top of Mt Washington, but we do go camping with friends who own a Casita once in a while and have a great time.
Keep me posted as your coming to New England
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:10 PM   #8

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Was there this past July. Hiked up via the Appalachian Trail.

The woman who joined us for the last 3 days of that hike, was having problems going down Tuckerman Ravine "trail". I use the term "trail" very loosely, it is really just a 4.5 mile rock scramble. New Hampshire has some of the lowest standards for what are deemed trails of any place I have hiked, and I have backpacked across the country, into the many tens of thousands of miles over 40 years. She had had a double knee replacement, and did not feel she could make the 4.5 miles without incident, so we climbed back up and elected to take the shuttle down to Pinkham Notch.

The shuttle was just a typical short shuttle bus that traveled the auto road. Didn't see any pets, but that doesn't mean they weren't allowed.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 03:46 AM   #9

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
Was there this past July. Hiked up via the Appalachian Trail.

The woman who joined us for the last 3 days of that hike, was having problems going down Tuckerman Ravine "trail". I use the term "trail" very loosely, it is really just a 4.5 mile rock scramble. New Hampshire has some of the lowest standards for what are deemed trails of any place I have hiked, and I have backpacked across the country, into the many tens of thousands of miles over 40 years. She had had a double knee replacement, and did not feel she could make the 4.5 miles without incident, so we climbed back up and elected to take the shuttle down to Pinkham Notch.

The shuttle was just a typical short shuttle bus that traveled the auto road. Didn't see any pets, but that doesn't mean they weren't allowed.
Having been a resident of New Hampshire for many years when I was younger, I take exception to a characterization of its trails as being the "lowest standards for what are deemed trails." Tuckerman's Ravine is steep, rocky, and hazardous. The bottom line is that just because someone has two legs and is biologically classified as Homo sapiens, it doesn't mean they belong on every pathway that is labeled as a trail, anymore than they should be attempting to ascend the face of El Capitan in Yosemite. On a few occasions, I was involved in search and rescue operations when some idiot (sorry for the use of that term) thought he/she was capable of, prepared for, or even qualified to ascend Mt. Washington in the winter. There are many trails in NH which are easy to traverse. There are some, however, that the vast majority of "weekend hikers" have no business attempting. I have been on the trail in question and it is not the easiest to negotiate; one must choose wisely. Just because there are trails to the summit of Mt. Everest, the existence of these routes does not suggest that anyone or everyone should attempt to reach the summit.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:03 AM   #10

Name: Ducky
Trailer: Casita
Maine
Sorry, I don't know if you can. Best to contact them directly.
ducks32 is offline   Reply With Quote