Multiple trailers and irrational thoughts - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-04-2008, 09:04 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (Previously 2004 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel)
The Reader's Digest Condensed version of my dilemma: we're a foster family and our family recently and somewhat unexpectedly grew by one, meaning we've outgrown the almost new 5 seater truck we bought to tow our Scamp 19. After driving the truck and an additional car camping all summer because all 6 of us didn't fit into the truck, we recently had the chance to purchase a used Bigfoot motorhome (at least staying in the fiberglass family) and used it to all ride together on an extended, cross-country type of camping trip. It was awesome. (Some of you might at this point wonder why I didn't just trade in the practically brand new 5 seat truck for a 6 seat truck. The reasons are many and varied and include such important questions as, would you want to sit with a 6, 4, 2 or 1 year old at your elbow for 3,500 miles?).

Now, the practical thing to do would be to sell the Scamp. Who needs a motorhome and a trailer? Ridiculous! Maintaining two trailers? Not cost effective. But then I walk into my Scamp and think "I don't want to sell it." I fear that I will regret selling it. I've now talked myself into a scenario where we'll use the Scamp (1) when we go to some more remote campgrounds where the roads aren't as good and I'd hesitate to take a motorhome; and (2) as a "guest house" when we have friends and family who don't have a trailer go camping with us (which we're doing this weekend).

My questions for all of you are: how many of you have more than one trailer, maybe even different kinds like me? Did you use the two trailers as you thought you would or does one mostly sit unused? I've sold other trailers before without a second thought, so why do I have this irrational attachment to my Scamp?

Karen T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:59 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
(Some of you might at this point wonder why I didn't just trade in the practically brand new 5 seat truck for a 6 seat truck. The reasons are many and varied and include such important questions as, would you want to sit with a 6, 4, 2 or 1 year old at your elbow for 3,500 miles?).
I would be the wrong person to ask that. In 1961 My Mother and Father loaded my 5 brothers and 2 sisters (and me) in a 1955 Oldsmobile 4 door Sedan and drove from Syracuse to Oklahoma City. I have fond memories of our togetherness.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:54 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
There may be times when you want to load up your family AND their friends for a good weekend's camping (We found that if we took along a friend for each kid, we had a lot less trouble; they would all be on better manners and were busy amusing each other) and the trailer would be handy for that.

A lot would depend on whether you have any ongoing costs (payment, insurance, etc.).
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:23 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

When we bought the project Compact, it was with the idea of (1) "rescuing it from neglect" & (2) fixing it up to sell to my friend Mike (who is instrumental in its rebuild). Now, however, Carrie & I are of the mind to keep it and use it also, depending on where we are going.... Also, my friend Mike will be able to "rent" it when he needs it for his hunting trips, etc. (Carrie & I can't envision his wife going camping...... ) I think it is sort of an affliction---- like my cars.......... Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:41 AM   #5

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
I think it is sort of an affliction---- like my cars.......... Larry
Like potato chips.....

I am pondering the next FG project purchase.... something bigger with a potty and shower. No way I will get rid of my Boler.

So I guess you should keep it if you can afford to.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:38 AM   #6

Quote:
In 1961 My Mother and Father loaded my 5 brothers and 2 sisters (and me) in a 1955 Oldsmobile 4 door Sedan and drove from Syracuse to Oklahoma City.
Ah, the days of no car seats or seat belts required. We would all be put in the backseat and some of us ended up piled in the way-back of the station wagon. The front seat of the station wagon was a very spacious bench seat, all one piece. Times have certainly changed!
Old 08-05-2008, 11:33 AM   #7

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
Quote:
The Reader's Digest Condensed version of my dilemma: we're a foster family and our family recently and somewhat unexpectedly grew by one, meaning we've outgrown the almost new 5 seater truck we bought to tow our Scamp 19.
We used to be foster parents. I would never sell a vehicle because of a new addition. If most of your trips are local, you have to ask yourself, how often do you seat 6? If they are local trips, use two cars, unless you are in a foster adopt situation, where you know reasonably well that this child is a permanent addition. My youngest son, 11, his opinion is that he would rather sleep on the floor and go camping, then to not go, or to go in a manner that would require a change. (Ex. we are renovating a 13', and he would rather sleep on the floor if a 5th person comes than change the plans.)
Pamela H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:35 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
You should have traded your truck for one like the one I saw in Reno last summer. It was pulling a fifth wheel about 35 feet long with three slide outs. When they stopped a total of 10 people got out. It was a Chevrolet truck that had 6 doors.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:17 PM   #9

When it comes to the sleeping part, remember that kids like to sleep in tents, so a couple of cheap ones will go a long way!
Old 08-06-2008, 03:48 PM   #10

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
In a lot of ways besides sentimental ones, I regret not keeping my 13. There are a LOT of places closer to home (Like the Sierras) that I can not take the 17 in due to roads and windy stuff and extreme elevation gain. The Jeep and 13 would do just fine, but the bigger and heavier rig may have issues. I am not a chance taker along those lines.

With gas prices the way they are, I can not take off and go to my normal haunts that are less daunting to tug to, but MUCH farther away.

I am thinking of a cabin tent or a small rig like a pop top Chinook.

hmnn... maybe a nice Eriba Puck
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:50 PM   #11

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
I'm like Gina, I also regret letting my 13' go when I got the 17'. The 13 foot would be nice to take on long trips where gas mileage becomes an issue with the 17, like to the Oregon Gathering for instance. So now, I am currently keeping an active eye open to add another 13' trailer to my entourage.

The upside for you keeping the old trailer is that unless you aren't maintaining things on it, they don't really depreciate much more once they reach a certain age.
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:09 PM   #12

Trailer: Play Pac
Well, I don't see anything wrong with having a few trailers. I have a big 06 white box with a slide to winter in in FL, an Ultravan for vintage car shows and camping and I have the Playpac that I want but may never have to to fix up. I may sell the Playpac and get an egg already ready to go.

Keep them all I say!
Camilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:40 PM   #13

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Lynne and I have two trailers, too. One is our "big" 19' Scamp fifth wheel, which we bought when it was one year old and barely used and have since made so many mods to that it's kinda turned into a project trailer. We also recently bought a 14' Surfside trailer that's 30+ years old, so it really is a project trailer.

The nice thing about the Scamp 5er is it's turned into a very well appointed and even stylish trailer. I'd hate to sell it. The nice thing about the Surfside is it's lighter and easier to tow and fast and easy to set up, so Lynne is not intimidated by the thought of pulling it and setting it up on her own, and it'll make trips where we spend a night or two here and there on a longer adventure trip easier to navigate. That, and it gives us the opportunity to do a trailer that has a more wistful, playful style than the elegance inside the Scamp. (We'll start working on that trailer in a year or so.)
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:02 PM   #14

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
[b]Like potato chips.....

I am pondering the next FG project purchase...
I am going to look at a bigger trailer...

Click image for larger version

Name:	S4010010.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	15017

... and a neighbor has promised to sell me his 13' UHaul when he is done with it...

That would make 3. I wouldn't give up the Fiber Stream.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:08 PM   #15

Trailer: 77 Scamp
Nope, I strongly disagree here....I know I know I hate to say this cause I think everyone else is just being far to nice, you need to sell it..............to me. Yes some other members here are shaking their heads (they are just jealous they didn't think of it first). So quit being such a trailer hog and sell it......to me of course and forget what those "other folk" are saying....... between you and me *I think they're crazy*
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Nope, I strongly disagree here....I know I know I hate to say this cause I think everyone else is just being far to nice, you need to sell it..............to me. Yes some other members here are shaking their heads (they are just jealous they didn't think of it first). So quit being such a trailer hog and sell it......to me of course and forget what those "other folk" are saying....... between you and me *I think they're crazy*

And I thought you were about to share some very wise advice with me!

Old 08-10-2008, 02:02 PM   #17

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Now I know why you wore a cute baseball cap with your goldfish icon on the front at all times while you were at the Lake Champoeg NOG this spring. We all thought it was to help tie your name and posts together, but now I see it must conceal a pair of diminutive and extremely cute, though somewhat disquieting, set of horns.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:15 PM   #18

Quote:
In a lot of ways besides sentimental ones, I regret not keeping my 13. There are a LOT of places closer to home (Like the Sierras) that I can not take the 17 in due to roads and windy stuff and extreme elevation gain. The Jeep and 13 would do just fine, but the bigger and heavier rig may have issues. I am not a chance taker along those lines.

With gas prices the way they are, I can not take off and go to my normal haunts that are less daunting to tug to, but MUCH farther away.

I am thinking of a cabin tent or a small rig like a pop top Chinook.

hmnn... maybe a nice Eriba Puck
I am kicking myself for not jumping on a Coleman Colorado advertised locally on Craig's list a few months back...

How about one of these? The entire tent portion is packed away in the roof! Lots of cargo space -- Likely, it costs too much, but it would be fun for weekend/short trips.

http://sylvansport.com/it.html
Old 08-10-2008, 06:36 PM   #19

Trailer: 77 Scamp
MMMWAHAHAHAHHAHA...*cough cough darn smoke* Did you not see the red headed kid in tow and trailer pulled by a red car....usually thats a dead givaway...sorry to burst your bubble alas it is true I was out for my own greedy purpose

Quote:
Now I know why you wore a cute baseball cap with your goldfish icon on the front at all times while you were at the Lake Champoeg NOG this spring. We all thought it was to help tie your name and posts together, but now I see it must conceal a pair of diminutive and extremely cute, though somewhat disquieting, set of horns.
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:53 PM   #20

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Ah, the days of no car seats or seat belts required. We would all be put in the backseat and some of us ended up piled in the way-back of the station wagon. The front seat of the station wagon was a very spacious bench seat, all one piece. Times have certainly changed!
Karen, you brought to mind something I had forgotten--our family traveled to Florida in a station wagon in 1962-ish. I guess one night they couldn't find a motel vacancy because I remember my dad parking the car next to the water. My sister & I slept in the back & our parents took the front & second row seats. I was about 7 and I thought it was a great adventure!
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote