My New/ Used Casita is no longer! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-29-2009, 03:56 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Oh Dear, me Sad!

Well, after being very excited about my New/Used Casita purchase, it appears that after agreeing a price, sending a deposit, and planning my road trip to pick it up next week, the current owner decided to have her son do a little work on it, relisted it for more money, and has just sent me an e-mail asking for more money, as she has had a better offer, now that it is cleaned up and had a few needed items repaired?

I cannot believe people, I have e-mail copies of our confirmed sale, couriered her the deposit, and now she wants $2000 more for it!

She then proceeded to say, that she has sold it to a nice couple for much more money, and it was too bad that I did not want to pay the extra money, therefore I lose?

I have requested my deposit back, but I am figuring that I am most likely out my $200?

I don't understand how people can be so rude and cruel, after all conversations and correspondance appeared to be very upfront and pleasant?
They certainly were from my end!

So, my quest for another Egg continues. My only obstacle is price, and this was quite a good deal, as it did require some work to make her beautiful again.

If anyone knows of any Cheap and Cheerful Eggs for sale, (read, Fixer-upper) please feel free to let me know, lol!

Thanks to all for your kind words over the past week, it was really very much appreciated!

Cheers and a very Happy and Safe New Year to all.
Jake.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:17 PM   #2

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
aaaahhhhh jake, this is so wrong! she shows zero integrity by doing this---AND makes everyone much more leery in any future online/long distance dealings. don't know where this person resides, but it might be worth making some inquiries regarding the legalities of your original deal.

good luck in your quest.

and may 2010 STILL be a good year for you!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:27 PM   #3

Registry
Quote:
aaaahhhhh jake, this is so wrong! she shows zero integrity by doing this---AND makes everyone much more leery in any future online/long distance dealings. don't know where this person resides, but it might be worth making some inquiries regarding the legalities of your original deal.

good luck in your quest.

and may 2010 STILL be a good year for you!!
Thank you very much Theresa!

Yes, I am now a bit leary about doing a long distance transaction through want ads!

I will keep my eyes peeled here and other Fiberglass sites for another EGG, as the
comraderie and sense of descency is wonderful here!

I had received some feedback from someone who had actually looked at her trailer in person, and he said that it was NOT at all what she had advertised, and needed a great deal of work, which I do not mind in the least, and based on the price I was getting it for, I was prepared to happily undertake.

Oh well, I will keep looking, and as they say, keep my chin up, lol!

All the best to you as well, for a Happy, Safe and Prosperous New Year!
Cheers, Jake.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:05 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Man that stinks! She better return your deposit since she sold it out from under you. It just means a better deal will come your way and karma will win out. Good luck!
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:13 PM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
that is just rude.

where are folks scruples? I couldn't sleep at nite if I did that to someone.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:40 PM   #6

Trailer: R-Vision
Name names and list locations, spread the word on these
yahoos!!
Mike Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:45 PM   #7

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
That is just so wrong on so many levels.
You better get that deposit back as she is the one that killed the deal.

Rest assured that trailer was a loser anyway and something better is coming along.
That is how things work. Don't distrust everybody because of this.

My deal was long distance and long in process ( over an entire winter) but we both held up to our end of the bargain and we are now both happy and friends.

pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:04 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
That is just so wrong on so many levels.
You better get that deposit back as she is the one that killed the deal.

Rest assured that trailer was a loser anyway and something better is coming along.
That is how things work. Don't distrust everybody because of this.

My deal was long distance and long in process ( over an entire winter) but we both held up to our end of the bargain and we are now both happy and friends.
Yes, I agree 100%!

I am all about Karma, and I am guessing that this has happened for a reason.

I have also posted a similiar post on the Casita site, just as a warning.

I don't think that posting names and locations is worth the effort, as I am just looking at moving forward now.

She claims to already have sold it to a couple, so I guess they will now deal with her?

Ok, it was located in NC.

That's all, i'm done with this one.

Bring on a new challenge/ EGG, but make it happen, lol!

Thanks all for your support!
Jake.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:23 PM   #9

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
The only way to stop stuff like this from happening is to hold the seller to the agreement. The son made improvements to your trailer without your permission. Let them know you intend to pickup the trailer for the agreed upon price less the deposit they received. If they refuse, call the District Attorney where they reside and explain the situation to them. You may also want to follow that up with another call to the seller letting them know you may sue for the difference in what you will have to pay for another trailer in similar condition. In other words, play hardball if you really want the trailer.
Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:28 PM   #10

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
About a year and a half ago there was a rather robust scam operation running out of Western NC and it mostly involved Casita listings. They've been rather quiet for some time, and I sincerely hope they aren't back in operation.

Sorry, for your frustration Jake and the loss of the trailer. We unfortunately hear too many of these stories. Let us know if you get the deposit back, if it is a legitimate seller you should, if not, I suspect it may be these people again.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:36 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Sorry for your loss Jake. Does anybody know if there is a 3rd party Escrow type service that sellers/buyers could use to protect themselves? That way the seller doesnt get the funds till the buyer sees the trailer is as advertised and nobody gets stuck with a bad/stolen check, money order etc. That way the deal is protected on both ends.

Just wondering.....

Melissa
Old 12-29-2009, 07:07 PM   #12

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Jake, I'm sorry this didn't work out for you and even more upset to hear the worthless scammer who pulled this bull was a fellow North Carolinian. As I posted earlier, we also made a long distance purchase on our Scamp but it turned out well for us. We live in northeastern NC - if there's anything I can do to help with this just drop a PM.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:14 PM   #13

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Jake... Seems like her Karma ran over your Dogma!!! "EGGS" are like buses...wait a bit and another will come along...that may be even better!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:08 PM   #14

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Sorry for you Jake and I sincerely hope you can recover your deposit although my guess is you won't...but this serves as a reminder to everyone...buyer beware! Scammers come in all ages, shapes and sizes...
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:33 AM   #15

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
Boy that gets me mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A good rule is never put more down than you are prepaired to lose.
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:42 AM   #16

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 16 ft
So sorry to hear about that, Jake! If there's anything I can do to help please let me know...I live in Southwestern Virginia, just over the state line from NC.
Diane G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:56 AM   #17

Trailer: R-Vision
Quote:
About a year and a half ago there was a rather robust scam operation running out of Western NC and it mostly involved Casita listings. They've been rather quiet for some time, and I sincerely hope they aren't back in operation.

That's why it's good to spread the word, I'm betting this was a scam from the git go.
Mike Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:42 AM   #18

Trailer: Scamp
Quote:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
Boy that gets me mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A good rule is never put more down than you are prepaired to lose.

Jake, I also looked at the camper you are talking about , sorry for your loss but it was a real S**t box, be happy she backed out.FYI- on my way home yesterday the camper was still there and it is still listed here online for sale. maybe (Ida) has not removed it form craigslist yet. need all new floors, there has been alot of water damage to that camper. somone patched up the floor years back but like i said be happy you did not get it. happy new year Ken.
ken spicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:17 AM   #19

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
legally you have a solid case if you pursue it but I doubt the people are the typr to ever show up in court....they're scammers more than likely,theives, gypsies etc.
were it me however her son would be headed to the dentist unable to pay for the required work with what they scammed anyone out of..and her, I'd back over when leaving.
Bruce

was this post too harsh?
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:17 AM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Jake, I also looked at the camper you are talking about , sorry for your loss but it was a real S**t box, be happy she backed out.FYI- on my way home yesterday the camper was still there and it is still listed here online for sale. maybe (Ida) has not removed it form craigslist yet. need all new floors, there has been alot of water damage to that camper. somone patched up the floor years back but like i said be happy you did not get it. happy new year Ken.
Hello Ken:
Well, I guess I am a bit confused?
You mention that i should be happy that I did not buy it, as it was SH.. box, but, you have now posted here about the floor in the 16' Casita you just bought in NC?
It sounds as though YOU have bought it, as you mentioned her name?

Sorry, I am truly NOT trying to be an idiot, but I guess you must be one of the Couple she mentioned in her e-mail to me?

Oh well, I guess someone was going to buy it, if not me?

Good luck with it, and a Happy New Year to you as well.
Regards, Jake.

Tags
casita