My Only Gripe with the Oliver LEII - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2020, 08:47 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Hymer
California
Registry
My Only Gripe with the Oliver LEII

Got a full tour of an Oliver Legacy Elite II today in Quartzsite. Nice, nice trailer. Even for tall guys like me.

My only gripe? There’s nothing that sucks I’d need to re-engineer. Nothing. I’m afraid I might get bored of just camping all the time.
OCJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:12 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I am sure if you looked hard enough and long enough , you could find something that’s not quite perfect !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:37 PM   #3

California
Registry
Well, I wouldn’t call the bathroom perfect, but there’s no reasonable way to make it bigger, either. It is what it is. If you want a bigger bath, you don’t buy an Ollie.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:24 PM   #4

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I was able to find a number of things on my Oliver LE2 that kept me thinking and building and evaluating. By now, the new ones have a lot of the problems ironed out.

Design wise, I think they should have put the bathroom at the rear, where there is more headroom. And if the trailer was only one foot longer, the bath could have been much more useable without taking away from the beds, galley and dinette.

They are very nice trailers and have a very loyal following. The Oliver rallies at Guntersville, AL are fun too.

However, if you like to spend any time off road, whatever you do, don't look at a Black Series HQ19, or you'll be hooked.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:23 PM   #5

NW Wisconsin
The Oliver is a well designed , well engineered , well built trailer with obvious attention to detail and their price reflects those facts .
We would love to own an Oliver but we can’t justify dedicating that much of our financial resources to a luxury that is only used for a few months each year and at this late point in our lives

I hope Oliver has great success.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:32 AM   #6

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Well said Steve. Diplomatically expressed----and I totally agree. A beautifully-made trailer. Walked thru the ones displayed at the Boler 50th in Winnipeg...and had to find a way to mop up my drool.

But...alas....for us, it's not in the cards. Doesn't mean I won't be green with envy, though!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:14 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Having watched the videos, the lack of storage for the length seemed to be really lacking. Near the base price, not so bad, but one can easily go from around $55,000 to nearly $80,000 adding options. That is a LOT of money for people where we come from. It is heavy for the size of the trailer also.

While we want something that will last, for $80,000 we can at least 3 new smaller fiberglass molded trailers over time for that price, always with new tires and appliances, so I sadly learned that for us, the price would exceed the value.

We could get a new Winnebago Class C which would hold its value fairly well as used Class Cs are usually few and far between and don't meet the demand for them for that $80,000 also.

It is nice, "eye-candy" for sure.

(Black Series: Have looked at them, and they are cool! Would be great in the SW.)
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:57 AM   #8

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
Having watched the videos, the lack of storage for the length seemed to be really lacking. Near the base price, not so bad, but one can easily go from around $55,000 to nearly $80,000 adding options. That is a LOT of money for people where we come from. It is heavy for the size of the trailer also.

While we want something that will last, for $80,000 we can at least 3 new smaller fiberglass molded trailers over time for that price, always with new tires and appliances, so I sadly learned that for us, the price would exceed the value.

We could get a new Winnebago Class C which would hold its value fairly well as used Class Cs are usually few and far between and don't meet the demand for them for that $80,000 also.

It is nice, "eye-candy" for sure.

(Black Series: Have looked at them, and they are cool! Would be great in the SW.)
I agree you could buy 2 or 3 other FG trailers for the price of an Oliver but there is a hidden cost / factor in that line of reasoning
For me it is the frustration cost / factor .
We bought a new trailer to go camping / traveling not as a fixer up , remodel project
I like working on our trailer but on my schedule & terms not out of necessity forced by failure
Again it appears Oliver took the time to build it right so I don’t have to
Old 02-06-2020, 08:14 AM   #9

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
That’s my point. More like buying a new car than a house.

Who buys a new car and takes their first trip to Home Depot?
Old 02-06-2020, 08:17 AM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Oliver’s are expensive. Besides a quality product you are also getting truly outstanding company support. The folks at Oliver go the extra mile to ensure owners are taken care of. Mike
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:34 AM   #11

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCJohn View Post
That’s my point. More like buying a new car than a house.

Who buys a new car and takes their first trip to Home Depot?
I am a little confused where your house analogy came from but I get your point
In the same vein how many people have posted on this forum about buying a new tow vehicle and then heading directly to the closest garage to have it modified so it can tow ? ( Trailer hitch , wiring , brake controller , transmission cooler , upgraded suspension , mirrors , scanner etc , etc , etc , etc )
Again , I would rather spend my time and money upfront instead of trying to redesign the wheel
Old 02-06-2020, 09:05 AM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
shocking price

As per Steve I too am sort of in shell shock on the cost of the Oliver. They are building for a very small niche in the rv field. Those you know that want the very best!

I just cant imagine spending 80k on something to use a few weeks of the year but then I cant justify 50 to 80k on a car when 20k gets me where I want to go albeit slowing at times.

My neighbor has plenty of money he got ticked of because his 50k truck was downshifting going up hills pulling his 80k 5th wheel. His solution go out and spend 80k on a truck that wouldn't do that.

I guess its all in your perspective in life but for me my 5k Scamp suits my purpose very well!

Quote:
I am a little confused where your house analogy came from but I get your point
In the same vein how many people have posted on this forum about buying a new tow vehicle and then heading directly to the closest garage to have it modified so it can tow ? ( Trailer hitch , wiring , brake controller , transmission cooler , upgraded suspension , mirrors , scanner etc , etc , etc , etc )
Again , I would rather spend my time and money upfront instead of trying to redesign the wheel
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:35 AM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
As per Steve I too am sort of in shell shock on the cost of the Oliver. They are building for a very small niche in the rv field. Those you know that want the very best!

I just cant imagine spending 80k on something to use a few weeks of the year but then I cant justify 50 to 80k on a car when 20k gets me where I want to go albeit slowing at times.
I agree that if it was something I only used a few weeks of the year 80K would not be justifiable. We are out for months not weeks each year so it is a bit like a second home. Also, if I was buying new today I’m not sure I could afford it. Five years ago pricing was quite a bit less! Mike
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:38 AM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
If you want serious "shell shock", take a look at Bowlus Road Chief. Only $185,000.00 base price for a single axle trailer...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:32 AM   #15

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
If you want to minimize working on the trailer, and want to be out traveling, mainly on highways, a large percentage of the time. The Oliver is hard to beat.

Low maintenance, good in cold or hot weather, tows extremely well by being streamlined, stable and low profile, is durable in all kinds of weather including hail storms. And the factory is always there if you need something.

It has a very nice pantry and closet. And being only seven feet wide, it is easy to see around and keep in a lane. Three electric jacks make setup very easy every night. A sealed fiberglass underbelly and aluminum frame keep the cold out, critters out and corrosion away. It uses a common size Light Truck E rated radial tire that is not fragile or speed limited and can be run at appropriate pressure.

The simple interior finish is very well done and low maintenance. The fiberglass work is superb.

An Oliver is simply an easy to live with tool that enables your adventures, instead of becoming the adventure itself. When you look at an Oliver, look at it in this way. For instance, if you want to camp in a wood cabin, the Oliver might look stark, but if you want to camp in the mountains, or the desert, the Oliver will give you more time to do that by being simple, convenient and low maintenance. If I want to see wood, I can look out the window.

If you are considering one, look carefully at the options list and really decide if some of those things are worth the cost. Will they do what you expect them to do? Can you put them on later yourself? It's silly to argue here that the cost has to be 80K. No it doesn't.

Based on my experience, they do not depreciate in value, so you probably won't lose much, or anything if you sell it later. And that means you can buy an excellent one closer to what it cost new, before some of the price increases.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:46 AM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
I agree you could buy 2 or 3 other FG trailers for the price of an Oliver but there is a hidden cost / factor in that line of reasoning
For me it is the frustration cost / factor .
We bought a new trailer to go camping / traveling not as a fixer up , remodel project
I like working on our trailer but on my schedule & terms not out of necessity forced by failure
I forgot that by selling each one of the three when I was tired of them, it would enable to buy even more than 3 unless I wanted to own all 3 at one time.

I would agree they are well built, but again, they use many of the same parts as the rest of the industry. They are not issue free as is being implied by some as I have followed them for some time out of curiosity if they were the "dream". Understand the possible issues before purchasing anything to avoid disappointment. And, adding minimal options, I did realize they were not the "dream" for us, but for others, they are.

I certainly do not consider the other molded fiberglass trailers to be "fixer-uppers", but unless maintained properly, they will all have issues, ALL!

Dry weight: 4,600 lbs. Larger than all the others. More expensive. Comparing to the Casita, Scamp, etc. is like comparing "apples to oranges", just too many differences. One can full-time in a tent, many are doing it, it just depends on what one can afford/finance and what one feels they need.

It is nice there is the option for those that want it. Choices are good.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:08 PM   #17

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Oliver’s are great IMHO and the price reflects the build quality.

In the end, it’s really a well built trailer with a Casita floorplan. The Casita floorplan did not work for us so that was the end. If they came out with a mid bath, bed on one end, dinette on the other, we would own one.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:50 PM   #18

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
yes shock

wow jon I cant believe it! My heart would stop just pulling this thing but good for those that want it and can afford it.

I see those 500k rigs my heart stops but good for them. while out in the desert I saw several. Sort of envious but I have to think about that 3k a month payment for most!

bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
If you want serious "shell shock", take a look at Bowlus Road Chief. Only $185,000.00 base price for a single axle trailer...
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 02:26 PM   #19

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
If I were someone tempted by the Oliver (OK, I admit it) I might also be cross shopping a nice Class B. Leak resistant 4 season construction and probably a safer, more relaxed travel experience for "seniors." An Oliver and appropriate HD truck would be about the price of a Winnebago ERA and more than a Travato. Of course the Oliver would hold value and the Class B would drop like a rock.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 04:23 PM   #20

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
$55-$80K for an Ollie (Oliver)

$45K-$150K for an Airstream

$30K-$40K for most fiberglass shell trailers

$80K-$120K for a Stickey built 5th Wheel

$15k-$50K for a Stickey built tag trailer

$80K-$2MM for most any motorhome

All of these price estimate ranges are NEW MSRP prices for the respective group listed above.

Given the New Owner Reviews of Each Brand in each RV Sector, RV Travel Facebook Page Horror Stories From Real Owners about Their RV Purchases, Initial Quality Reviews of Many RV Manufacturers, 3 Year Old Resale Trade In Values, 3 Year Old RV Condition, Water Leaks, Timely Warranty Repairs If Needed and all the other new RV issues we hear in the horror stories RV owners complain about it does not take long to rule out purchasing the vast majority of new RV's offered in the market today.

Lot's of JUNK offered FOR SALE by the major RV Manufacturers with little to no support to repair them when they need repair which in many situations is the day after you buy em.

It seems to me when you do find a RV manufacturer with a good reputation (VERY FEW) that Design, Manufacture, SELL and SUPPORT their quality RV product that $10K-$20K EXTRA you "may" think you are Overpaying when buying that new RV might just be the best EXPENDITURE YOU SPEND on this never needed in the first place RV purchase.

The RV manufacturers are selling a LIFESTYLE that is PURE FANTASY to most purchasers of their products. Is it absolutely necessary to take your 2000 square foot home and all the crap it offers with you on the road and have all that built into your RV?

"I" do not think so!

$15K-$20K buys you a New CHEAP Stickey built trailer that if you are lucky "might" still be roadworthy and usable 3 years after your purchase if it has not shaken itself to pieces or got mold so bad from all the water leaks! Damn and YOU STILL OWE PAYMENTS on this POS for 17 MORE YEARS!

What were YOU thinking when YOU bought this POS???

You weren't thinking that's the problem!

It seems to me that all of the above makes RV's such as the Oliver trailer a FANTASTIC BUY at what many say is a high inflated price. Quality, Reputation, Warranty Support, Resale Value, Design, Comfort, Trailer Weight make for a nice package from Oliver that just might make it the Best Buy of the bunch in the Fiberglass Trailer world.

What about Airstream you say?

Nice looking with many of the same problems they had 50 years ago that have never been fixed, more expensive than an Oliver, Iffy quality at best as reported by many new Airstream purchasers on Airforums website, Drink the Kool-Aid buy the Airstream lifestyle.

How about the other Fiberglass trailer manufacturers?

They also make some nice products with good reputations, warranty support, Design, comfort and lightweight. Certainly a good option.

For $50K I can take years of weekend or week long vacations in just as many beautiful locations WITHOUT pulling a trailer, making a bed, buying insurance, tires, propane, toilet paper, spending HOURS trying to find an RV park with an available RV space or listening to a generator run all night next to me!

I can also RENT an RV already sitting in many nice RV parks at vacation destinations all over the country and enjoy the RV lifestyle with DRIVE UP & PARK convenience. No HOA to deal with concerning the storage of my RV at home, no storage payment to store my RV when not in use at a storage lot and no upkeep to keep my RV from falling apart.

It's still all about the lure of the open road and that RV LIFESTYLE that git's ya every time you see one rolling down the road!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oliver