My pick: Escape trailer - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #41

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjhva View Post
Have you turned the dinette into a bed? Comfy? And how is stretching out your toes?

I'm 6'0 or so
If I'm fishing with my buddy, the front dinette is my bed and we eat outside. I get the front bed and it's just fine for me ( 5' 8" ). He gets the double rear.
With the Old Bag ( my wife, Leslie ) we leave the front dinette up and share the rear dinette/bed with the dog. A few times, the Old Bag has converted the rear bed to dinette for more comfort during the day. We haven't settled on a system even after four years.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Thanks!

Can it be ordered with the convertible setup and the storage under the back benches accessible from the outside via luggage doors?

I made that modification on my Trillium 4500 ( the 17's grandma) and LOVE it!

It lets me use that otherwise difficult-to-access space really useful for all my outside bits-n'pieces.

Francesca
Escape will add a hatch, accessible from outside. I have one at the front. Should have had it installed at the rear, but it depends how you use the storage and bed/dinette. Stuff can be stored in plastic bins under the bed if you don't plan to convert it into a dinette ( although you can shove bins under the trailer when you get to camp ).
Old 12-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #43

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 19
Ontario
The thing to keep in mind about an Escape, is that they don't start building it until after you order it. They have to work with their fiberglass molds, so they can't move the door or the wheel wells, but aside from that they'll change pretty much anything you want.
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #44

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Hey, Theron!

Now that we've hashed the Escape over pretty well, I'd like to ask:

What are your reasons for eliminating its immediate ancestor the Trillium from consideration? It's currently being manufactured right here in the U.S.A., and I think that its early manufacturing difficulties have been worked out...And there's at least one member here who reached a very satisfactory resolution to some of those early-model problems.

Is it a matter of the wood cabinetry, or some other cosmetic/change in the mold difference that attracted you to the Escape instead?

Thanks!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #45

Name: Theron
Trailer: Looking!
Idaho
Quote:
Hey, Theron!

Now that we've hashed the Escape over pretty well, I'd like to ask:

What are your reasons for eliminating its immediate ancestor the Trillium from consideration? It's currently being manufactured right here in the U.S.A., and I think that its early manufacturing difficulties have been worked out...And there's at least one member here who reached a very satisfactory resolution to some of those early-model problems.

Is it a matter of the wood cabinetry, or some other cosmetic/change in the mold difference that attracted you to the Escape instead?

Thanks!

Francesca

I remember looking at the Trillium, it looks great! But they only make a 13' model? For my longer term needs, and traveling with a friend, a 16' or 17' will fit the bill better.

What I do like about Trillium is they list their prices right up front on their website.

Another rad looking trailer I ran into during my research was Cricket:

Cricket Trailer
tjhva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #46

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Thanks for the lead! It's cool to see other folks making trailers.

But I'm not sure their design/layout is deal for 2 adult friends traveling together for 10 months. What I like about the Escape is that it has 2 separate and adequate sleeping spaces.
All things considered I think you have made the right choice!
With that trailer and that truck, you will find significant fuel savings by keeping the speed under 60 and practicing moderate acceleration.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #47

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
All things considered I think you have made the right choice!
With that trailer and that truck, you will find significant fuel savings by keeping the speed under 60 and practicing moderate acceleration.
4 pages of responses on my first post! Ya'll are a passionate bunch, digs it!
Old 12-06-2012, 10:17 PM   #48

Registry
Quote:
I remember looking at the Trillium, it looks great! But they only make a 13' model? For my longer term needs, and traveling with a friend, a 16' or 17' will fit the bill better.
]

I wonder if you're confusing the Trillium with another one of its Canadian offspring, the Outback.

The Trillium 4500 presently on offer is the immediate progenitor of the Escape model under discussion here.

And as for compatibility with a non-sleeping-with partner:
I can tell you from experience that it fits the bill admirably!

Francesca
Old 12-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #49

Idaho
Quote:

I wonder if you're confusing the Trillium with another one of its Canadian offspring, the Outback.

The Trillium 4500 presently on offer is the immediate progenitor of the Escape model under discussion here.

And as for compatibility with a non-sleeping-with partner:
I can tell you from experience that it fits the bill admirably!

Francesca

You're right, I was mixing up Compact lightweight fiberglass Outback travel trailers Calgary | Trillium Trailers with Trillium RV | Vintage Style / Legendary Quality / Activity-Driven Design - I'm sure they know that folks will be confused by this?

It looks like Trillium RV makes a 15.3' trailer as their biggest option. (which was hard to find!) Their website reads at first that it's 4.5 meters.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #50

Registry
Quote:

It looks like Trillium RV makes a 15.3' trailer as their biggest option. (which was hard to find!) Their website reads at first that it's 4.5 meters.
You know, the exact dimensions of these two closely related trailers is a point of some confusion for me. I'm not sure whether both Trillium and Escape are measuring from the same point- whether the tongue is included, for example.

It may be that Escape has "stretched" the original mold, perhaps to accommodate the separate bathroom area that folks seem to require these days. This is inexplicable to me...in such a small space it seems more reasonable to ask someone to step out for a moment for privacy's sake than to add bulk/weight to avoid that necessity. This especially since it means dedicating precious interior space to purposes that can't occupy more than a half hour of any given day!

I do know that the T4500 in its original dimensions has proven eminently compatible with the various combinations of campers to come along since I got my (first generation) 4500 seven years ago.

I'd recommend a closer look!

Francesca
Old 12-06-2012, 10:59 PM   #51

Name: Ken
Trailer: 84BigFoot 5th 2002 travelaire 5th wheel
Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: tjhva... You certainly picked a fine trailer in the Escape. Our 2007 5.0 is a 17 on steroids. Double bed/dinette in back and a queen sized bed in the loft. You already have the pickup so a good hitch shop can set you up.
Alf S North shore of Lake Erie
Alfred, a little off subject but how does the 5.0 do for warmth in cold country?
Ken
Ken Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:02 AM   #52

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Ken Jr... The only problem I have is the floors are cold. A few well placed mats take care of that. Once in bed it is usually warmer in the loft and we always leave the MaxxFan open and/or running on low. The 10,000BTU furnace does a wonderful job with ear plugs. The new furnace Reace is using draws less power and puts out less noise... I hear!!!
There's always double insulation and double pane windows available+ spray foam ins. on the trailer bottom. Those options weren't avail. when our 5.0 was built.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:39 AM   #53

Quote:

It may be that Escape has "stretched" the original ( Trillium ) mold

Francesca
Where did you get the information that the Escape used a Trillium mold?
Escape did have a plan to build the Trillium for Trillium and to market it ( as well as the established Escape line ) a couple or three years ago, but that obviously didn't go anywhere.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:17 AM   #54
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
First go to the local RV dealer and look. The appliances, accessories, trim, windows, bathroom fixtures, ect. are all common to fiberglass trailers. In general expensive but not as durable as you would like. Pay attention to fit and finish. In any event DON'T BUY ANYTHING!!!

Both Escape and Casita owners are passionate about their trailers and tend to lose some objectivity. With Casita you buy what is listed. They apparently are not open to customization. If you want pink cushions, you are on your own. But this time of year a Casita 17 is quite reasonably priced (16k?) so adding the pink cushions yourself might be worth it. Also not much of a wait time in the winter. To the cost of the Escape add in about 5% fee to exchange your U.S. dollars on top of the current exchange rate. Banks on both sides of the border get a cut. Contrary to what has been said, Escape will not let you get anything you want. Make sure you know exactly what you are getting (windows were our issue). But the pink cushions are fine, though you will most likely need to supply the fabric. Because the owners take an active role in the manufacturing, the fit and finish is very good. Also any problems are taken care of. Charging a premium price, they can't afford unhappy customers.

As for Trillium, I would have been far better off buying an old one and fixing it up. Nuf said on that. Happy shopping, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #55

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
A couple of things on the Escape 17B. While the dry weight is 2100 lbs, my actual weight packed for a long trip is 3100 lbs. This includes many options, dual propane & dual 6V batteries (on rear bumper), AC, etc. I travel with 1/3 a tank of fresh water & empty black & grey. I do have the front storage box. I have to work at keeping tongue weight under my RAV4's limit of 350 lbs. With full propane tanks I'm at 340 lbs.

As to the choice of trailers; I spent over a year researching what I was going to buy & the Escape 17B came in well ahead of the others. After 33,000 miles towing, I'm very happy with the choice!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #56

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
First go to the local RV dealer and look. The appliances, accessories, trim, windows, bathroom fixtures, ect. are all common to fiberglass trailers. In general expensive but not as durable as you would like. Pay attention to fit and finish. In any event DON'T BUY ANYTHING!!!

Both Escape and Casita owners are passionate about their trailers and tend to lose some objectivity. With Casita you buy what is listed. They apparently are not open to customization. If you want pink cushions, you are on your own. But this time of year a Casita 17 is quite reasonably priced (16k?) so adding the pink cushions yourself might be worth it. Also not much of a wait time in the winter. To the cost of the Escape add in about 5% fee to exchange your U.S. dollars on top of the current exchange rate. Banks on both sides of the border get a cut. Contrary to what has been said, Escape will not let you get anything you want. Make sure you know exactly what you are getting (windows were our issue). But the pink cushions are fine, though you will most likely need to supply the fabric. Because the owners take an active role in the manufacturing, the fit and finish is very good. Also any problems are taken care of. Charging a premium price, they can't afford unhappy customers.

As for Trillium, I would have been far better off buying an old one and fixing it up. Nuf said on that. Happy shopping, Raz

If the Casita's actually are $16,000 out the door I'd be interested. I'll give 'em a call here soon
Old 12-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #57

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
A couple of things on the Escape 17B. While the dry weight is 2100 lbs, my actual weight packed for a long trip is 3100 lbs. This includes many options, dual propane & dual 6V batteries (on rear bumper), AC, etc. I travel with 1/3 a tank of fresh water & empty black & grey. I do have the front storage box. I have to work at keeping tongue weight under my RAV4's limit of 350 lbs. With full propane tanks I'm at 340 lbs.

As to the choice of trailers; I spent over a year researching what I was going to buy & the Escape 17B came in well ahead of the others. After 33,000 miles towing, I'm very happy with the choice!
Good info! Thanks.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #58
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
If the Casita's actually are $16,000 out the door I'd be interested. I'll give 'em a call here soon
Donna D. posted a price sheet not long ago. I think there is an additional discount if you take one "off the lot". There was a recent post but I can't find it.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...3-a-54542.html
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #59

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Donna D. posted a price sheet not long ago. I think there is an additional discount if you take one "off the lot". There was a recent post but I can't find it.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...3-a-54542.html

As of today, Casita has 8 Spirit Deluxe's in stock. Not sure how many 16' vs 17's though.

For me, the Escape 17B has a leg up on layout. Having the sleeping arrangements separated is a stronger design for my needs. But it's also $5000 more. Tough call!
Old 12-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #60

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Where did you get the information that the Escape used a Trillium mold?
Escape did have a plan to build the Trillium for Trillium and to market it ( as well as the established Escape line ) a couple or three years ago, but that obviously didn't go anywhere.

Francesca

Tags
escape