My pick: Escape trailer - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #81

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMA & Pachyderm Posse View Post
yes i did but i am not happy about it i don't think they did the wighting correct in they even did it . i am going to a truck stop to have it done ,the place that did it is a small shop and they weigh rocks
So is that where you got the 2100 pound number?

That seems low to me, too...I'd definitely be looking for another place to weigh if I was in your shoes.

You might try the local landfill, if they charge by weight. Most of them will weigh the rig for nothing if all you want is the number. I did mine in two trips- one with the trailer and one for just the tug. Subtract tug from the total and there you have it!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #82

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
The manual on ours had one weight, the sticker on the side and in the closet has another weight, and the scale gave another weight. (makes it hard to purchase)

New trailers was told can be a lot more than advertised! Yikes! (options can add up)

Think the sticker on the side and inside closet weight was with all possible options as lists items we do not have and water and propane full.

The owners manual lists weight as including propane and water full and was close to actual weight. (some list their trailer as dry weight)

Tongue weight is a lot heavier on the new trailers maybe do to less forward placement of the axle.

Was told cars are lower to the ground and only require 8% on tongue to pull well by an expert. This seems to be true as ours pulls well?
Old 12-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #83

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
About front windows, yes they're nice, but I bet that more leaks develop around front windows than around all the other windows and the door, combined, in most trailers. The place where I bought my trailer told me they will order a trailer with front windows if a customer asks for it, but they try to avoid getting front windows on stuff they get in to sell off the lot, because they see so many problems at that point of the trailer.

And mostly what you see out the front window is the back of the tug.

About Snoozy aerodynamics, I may have been the first to point out, way back when they first announced their production plans, that fuel economy would be better if the shell were mounted with the flatter end up front. However, I have to say that I think the difference would not be likely to exceed 1 mpg. The 15 to 17 mpg real world numbers from Snoozy owners are very comparable to typical numbers from other 16' and 17' eggs. Wind tunnel tests of various shapes seem to suggest that the back end would have to taper much more gradually than any trailer's rear ever could, to make a serious improvement in fuel economy.

I cannot recall ever reading any unhappy comments from an Escape owner. Can't say the same for most other brands. (Anyone recall the brand new egg that was accidentally sold without plumbing pipes?) I think the OP has made a good choice.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #84

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Nothing's perfect, especially in the world of RV's. The Escape is no exception to that rule, and one would be wise to anticipate that there may be problems just as there often are with any other trailer.

A careful read of owner posts at the Escape owners' forum is certainly in order for anyone contemplating a purchase and looking for a heads up on potential problems that may arise.

Here's a link to one such conversation: Leaking Emergency Exit Window

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #85

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Nothing's perfect, especially in the world of RV's.
I beg to differ. There is always my wife's travel companion.
Jasper is one great dog.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:15 AM   #86

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
First go to the local RV dealer and look. The appliances, accessories, trim, windows, bathroom fixtures, ect. are all common to fiberglass trailers. In general expensive but not as durable as you would like. Pay attention to fit and finish. In any event DON'T BUY ANYTHING!!!

Both Escape and Casita owners are passionate about their trailers and tend to lose some objectivity. With Casita you buy what is listed. They apparently are not open to customization. If you want pink cushions, you are on your own. But this time of year a Casita 17 is quite reasonably priced (16k?) so adding the pink cushions yourself might be worth it. Also not much of a wait time in the winter. To the cost of the Escape add in about 5% fee to exchange your U.S. dollars on top of the current exchange rate. Banks on both sides of the border get a cut. Contrary to what has been said, Escape will not let you get anything you want. Make sure you know exactly what you are getting (windows were our issue). But the pink cushions are fine, though you will most likely need to supply the fabric. Because the owners take an active role in the manufacturing, the fit and finish is very good. Also any problems are taken care of. Charging a premium price, they can't afford unhappy customers.

As for Trillium, I would have been far better off buying an old one and fixing it up. Nuf said on that. Happy shopping, Raz
It cost me the exact advertized exchange rate for my trailer working with Tammy and she with her bank. The 5% is absolutely not true...and I got every option I asked for with no question.. I even ordered my flooring from her hardware store down the street from Escape and they paid for it and then charged me and I sent my fabric and they fitted it to the trailer...and they put in....along with a huge list of other option the 3 gauge wiring I wanted from the inverter to the power distribution box inside for my inverter and that was no cost. How do I say "Escape service cannot be beat anywhere". Do I sound biased? You Becha!
Old 12-08-2012, 12:19 AM   #87

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
From Tammy at Escape:

The 15 foot Escape mold was created from the 17 foot Escape. Measuring of a trailer is different in Canada than the US so our measurements do not include the hitch as someone mentioned. If you look closely at our shells you will note there are several difference between the Escape and Trillium. However, if you start comparing the Escape to the Triple E, and Surfside you will also see similarities. We researched several of the fibreglass trailer that had been manufactured over the years and incorporated their strengths into our 17' trailer when it was first introduced and designed.
I measured my 19' and it measures exactly 19' from the bumper to the front of the hitch. The actual trailer box is a around 16'.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:55 AM   #88

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Snoozy is almost 8 feet wide. I think the reduced drag is a smart design since the trailer sides will grab some of that wind resistance behind a V6 size vehicles.
From the Lil Snoozy Specs page:
Quote:
Overall Dimensions
Length: 17ft 3in
Height: 7ft 5in
Width: 7ft 11in

Living Area Dimensions
Length: 14ft 6in
Interior Width: 6ft 6in
Interior Head Room: 6ft 4in
Yes, the overall width is just an inch short of 8 feet, but that's across the fenders and as the interior width suggests, the outside body width is under 7 feet at its widest (probably not much more than 6'8"). The wheels and fenders are outside of the body (like many cargo trailers, but unlike most travel trailers) so they will be a drag problem, but the fiberglass body is not wide by moulded fiberglass travel trailer standards, and it is not nearly 8 feet across the sides.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:22 AM   #89

Name: Gene
Trailer: Escape 19'
Oregon
A big difference between the Casita and the Escape is that the Casita has rivets, which can shear and leak. The Escape has very few rivets because the cabinets are connected from the inside.
Sure, the Casita's a good trailer, and the Escape can develop leaks too.. vents, windows, wiring openings etc.. but not through rivet holes. The fewer holes that are cut through the fiberglass shell, the fewer opportunities there are for water to leak through. It's more expensive and time-consuming to make 'em like Escape does, but you get what you pay for.
blugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:36 AM   #90
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
It cost me the exact advertized exchange rate for my trailer working with Tammy and she with her bank. The 5% is absolutely not true...and I got every option I asked for
Interesting. When I sent Escape a deposit it cost me about 5% above the advertised (Google) exchange rate. Both the U.S. bank that did the exchange and the credit union in Chilliwack charged a fee.

It does not surprise me you would get every option you asked for. That's why they are called options. When I was buying I read the same "Escape will do anything you want" comments only to find for one reason or another that that was not the case. It cost me about $200 to find that out. I simply suggest that folks ignore the "they will do anything" comments and make sure you know what they will and won't do before making a commitment. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:57 AM   #91

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
My purchase was simple, I called Tammy in May and she told me they had a cancellation (thank you, whomever you are) and a June slot was available. I gave her my cc deposit of $1000 which did cost me $39 fee from the cc company. No other money exchanged until the trailer was completed, 6 weeks later and 12 revisions. When I mailed a check, I was surprised that due to the exchange rate fluctuation, I now had a credit balance close to $400. There was no fees with check payments, only cc payments, and with the exchange rate differential, I was even ahead.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:48 AM   #92
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
My purchase was simple, I called Tammy in May and she told me they had a cancellation (thank you, whomever you are) and a June slot was available. I gave her my cc deposit of $1000 which did cost me $39 fee from the cc company. No other money exchanged until the trailer was completed, 6 weeks later and 12 revisions. When I mailed a check, I was surprised that due to the exchange rate fluctuation, I now had a credit balance close to $400. There was no fees with check payments, only cc payments, and with the exchange rate differential, I was even ahead.
The credit card company charged you close to 4%, that's consistent with my experience. Did you check the exchange rate on the day of your final payment. I bet it was lower than what you were charged. I was told you never get that advertised rate. Large banks get reduced fees that you and I are too small to get. Banks don't do anything for free. Two years before I was shopping the rates were quite favorable for US customers. Eighty five cents on the Canadian dollar. A good deal for us. When I was looking things were about par. It's a little like the lottery. Sounds like you were a winner! Since you are happy with your purchase that's all that matters.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:48 AM   #93

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
OP wouldn't it be a lot easier to find a travel "friend" who would share "accommodations" with you. That would certainly increase your options!
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #94

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I've had 6 new trailers in 3 years ...
Wow, I find this to be amazing. It would make a great thread on its own merits.

Six new trailers in 3 years, my experience
Old 12-08-2012, 08:03 AM   #95

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
I measured my 19' and it measures exactly 19' from the bumper to the front of the hitch. The actual trailer box is a around 16'.
According to Reace, the 19 is actually 19'-6". Building the 21 now, it is only 18" long, a true 21'. Or so I was lead to believe.
Quote:
It does not surprise me you would get every option you asked for. That's why they are called options.
It is not the options that folks are referring to, but custom requests, ones not listed as options. I got one of the original production runs of the 19 (number 6). and made a whole bunch of requests. There were a couple that they did not (could not) do, because my hopes were too high, and to do them would not work. A couple I made were actually incorporated into the base unit, and others yet distinctive to my desires were done at a very reasonable cost.

Basically, if it a reasonable, doable request, Escape will do it for you.

I am not at all saying that there are not good reasons to go with other trailers, just what I experienced buying an Escape. They all have their benefits, and besides, your trailer is really just a tool used to gain a greater experience. If it gets you out to enjoy what our continent has to enjoy, it does its job.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:04 AM   #96

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
OP wouldn't it be a lot easier to find a travel "friend" who would share "accommodations" with you. That would certainly increase your options!
Hi: Steve Hammel... Just what are you suggesting here... We sold our 13' Boler to a couple that required separate beds!!! They now have a Bigfoot 5th. wheel. Sometimes there isn't enough space between the ends!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:22 AM   #97

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Escape has a factory published list of options and an unpublished list of customizations. You can request any color choice available at HomeDepot for floors, countertops, cushions, you can move or add 120v outlets and 12v outlets, you can move stove and sink, add drawers or windows, delete windows, delete bed and make dinette, delete dinette and make bed, basically anything inside can be customized. If you have ever had a house built, there are a lot of decisions to be made. Or, if it is too hard, then make no changes and just buy the stock one, your choices are endless.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #98

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
I have owned 4 Casitas, 1 Big Foot 5 er, 1 class c , now a LIL Snoozy , that said I would be proud to own an escape or any other mft , loved them all but the c .
Old 12-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #99

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 19
Ontario
Quote:
When I was buying I read the same "Escape will do anything you want" comments only to find for one reason or another that that was not the case. Raz
Raz, I'm considering an Escape. I haven't gone as far as talking exact options with them yet, but I've also been under the "will do anything you want" impression (with the exception of anything that just doesn't work with their molds). I'm curious: what did you want that they wouldn't/couldn't do?

Thanks.
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #100

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: dbailey...Some time ago Reace finally accepted that many people wanted a window in the bathroom. Up till then he said NO!!!
Our 5.0 has a S/S surround around the sink/stove. Reace really dislikes working with it 'cause if you kink or dimple the sheet it's no good. He priced the modification accordingly!!!
A lot of things that are std. equip. or options now weren't avail. when our trailer was built. It has been fun watching the evolution of Escape.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape