My pick: Escape trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #1

Name: Theron
Trailer: Looking!
Idaho
My pick: Escape trailer

Hey ya'll!

I'm hitting the road this spring for a 10 month book tour promotion. Should be pretty amazing! And I have the budget to get a trailer. After a ton of research and reading, I'm going with the 17' Escape trailer, Floor plan B. Unless ya'll convince me other wise!

I originally thought I would get a Scamp. I see them on the road and I've always been a fan. But after adding up the options I'd want and seeing that the Escape weight is similar, with an extra foot of length, I think it's the ticket!

Why Escape over Scamp:

14" wheels
About the same weight, but 1' longer
Will sleep 2 adult friends more comfy - full single up front vs. 'curved' sofa
Fridge
Screen door
Heater
Shower/Bathroom
Awning

The Casita looked nice, but the tongue weight of 365 was too much.

Long story short, do ya'll know of any Escapes in the Midwest? I'd love to see one in person first.
tjhva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
There is an Escape Forum here, check it out Escape Trailer Owners Community, there is also a map of owners see if anything is near you. Call Escape and they can arrange a viewing. Be prepared to customize your interior, just the way you want it!!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #3

Pennsylvania
Registry
The map shows a couple of 17's in Wisconsin and Minnesota and a 19' not far from Chicago, IL
Old 12-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #4

Idaho
Right on! Thanks for your help

Before I post over there, have you heard anyone comment on their turn around time? From ordering to delivery?
Old 12-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #5

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 19
California
You can look on their web page and see the production schedule for all models. Plunking down $500 gets you the date you want!
Old 12-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #6

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
AND (tho we went to the Scamp 19' 5th wheel) I WILL state without qualification that Tami and Reese (Owners of Escape Trailers) are nice folks.
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #7

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Great looking trailer, and Escape sure has a reputation for quality!

One thing you may want to look more closely at, though, since you mention it as part of your decision-making:

I think it likely that tongue weight on the model you're looking at will be similar to that of the Casita Spirit once set up for the road. Batteries and propane aside, it looks to me like the placement of the shower/toilet on the Escape puts the holding tanks ahead of the axle....That arrangement is similar to Casita's, and when calculating the practical traveling weight I think it prudent to use "full tank" numbers.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #8

Pennsylvania
Registry
I believe the batteries can be installed on the rear of the 17' thereby lowering the tongue weight to just the propane, which you may want to just get one 25# fiberglass tank that allows you to see the amount you have in the tank plus it is 20% lighter. I also recommend the front storage box for your outdoor accessories like chairs and mats. The fresh tank is behind the axle, with grey/black ahead of the axle.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjhva View Post
Hey ya'll!

I'm hitting the road this spring for a 10 month book tour promotion. Should be pretty amazing! And I have the budget to get a trailer. After a ton of research and reading, I'm going with the 17' Escape trailer, Floor plan B. Unless ya'll convince me other wise!

I originally thought I would get a Scamp. I see them on the road and I've always been a fan. But after adding up the options I'd want and seeing that the Escape weight is similar, with an extra foot of length, I think it's the ticket!

Why Escape over Scamp:

14" wheels
About the same weight, but 1' longer
Will sleep 2 adult friends more comfy - full single up front vs. 'curved' sofa
Fridge
Screen door
Heater
Shower/Bathroom
Awning

Long story short, do ya'll know of any Escapes in the Midwest? I'd love to see one in person first.
You don't say what you will tow with, Similar weight doesn't mean similar towing.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #10

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
I'll join the quire. Escape 17' plan is my dream trailer.
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #11

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
If IF we were to replace our Scamp 5er, it would probably be an Escape 19' bumper pull, not the Escape 5er
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #12

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
You don't say what you will tow with, Similar weight doesn't mean similar towing.
I have a Tacoma 4x4 with the 3.4L V6. I've read a few threads about this engine and the 17' Casita. Some folks say it's Ok, while other want more power up hills, along with being further away from the towing limit of the truck.

-

I just looked and the Scamp 16' is "1750 lbs" at the stock dry configuration. But it's missing a few nice things that are standard on the Escape (that I originally listed). I bet most Scamp 16' out there weight 2000lbs dry? Which is just 100 lbs. less than the Escape.

But the tongue weight is still less on the Escape 17' vs. Casita 17'?
Old 12-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking Hitch weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I believe the batteries can be installed on the rear of the 17' thereby lowering the tongue weight to just the propane, which you may want to just get one 25# fiberglass tank that allows you to see the amount you have in the tank plus it is 20% lighter. I also recommend the front storage box for your outdoor accessories like chairs and mats. The fresh tank is behind the axle, with grey/black ahead of the axle.
How much weight does the storage box add to the hitch? Then there is the stuff you place in the box....

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I have RAV4 with the V6 and Escape 17B. My 12V battery is on the rear bumper, and I have an aluminum storage box on a cargo carrier inserted into the hitch receiver at the rear ( it has axe, sledge, some tools, water hose etc..). Dual propane tanks at the front. My tongue weight is about 320.
I just shift cases of beer forward or aft of the axle to adjust the weight.
You will have no problem climbing hills with your Tacoma as long as you don't fill the trailer with cast iron pans.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #15

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I have RAV4 with the V6 and Escape 17B. My 12V battery is on the rear bumper, and I have an aluminum storage box on a cargo carrier inserted into the hitch receiver at the rear ( it has axe, sledge, some tools, water hose etc..). Dual propane tanks at the front. My tongue weight is about 320.
I just shift cases of beer forward or aft of the axle to adjust the weight.
You will have no problem climbing hills with your Tacoma as long as you don't fill the trailer with cast iron pans.
What is your water tank / grey water setup?
Old 12-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #16

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
look at this

Quote:
Hey ya'll!

Why Escape over Scamp:

check this out I think there is one near you . lighter weight and less expensive HOME and this Small Travel Trailer: Camper: Smoakin Concepts Composites two links home and small t.t.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #17

Idaho
Quote:
check this out I think there is one near you . lighter weight and less expensive HOME and this Small Travel Trailer: Camper: Smoakin Concepts Composites two links home and small t.t.

Thanks for the lead! It's cool to see other folks making trailers.

But I'm not sure their design/layout is deal for 2 adult friends traveling together for 10 months. What I like about the Escape is that it has 2 separate and adequate sleeping spaces.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #18

"check this out I think there is one near you . lighter weight and less expensive HOME and this Small Travel Trailer: Camper: Smoakin Concepts Composites two links home and small t.t."

The head room seems unnecessarily restricted at the front. I think this is based on the idea that if you taper the front there will be less wind-resistance.
But look at any aircraft. They are fat at the front and taper to the rear to reduce drag.
This trailer will afford better mileage if you drive in reverse.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #19

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weinel, Alan View Post
If IF we were to replace our Scamp 5er, it would probably be an Escape 19' bumper pull, not the Escape 5er

I have a 17ft Casita and when and if I ever get another glass trailer it will be the 19 Escape! Beautiful trailer................. The one I tour'ed in Sept the owners had a 17ft Casita and she said it really wasn't much different than the Casita towing wise. 2 ft extra and a world of difference on interior space........

Quote:
I have a Tacoma 4x4 with the 3.4L V6. I've read a few threads about this engine and the 17' Casita. Some folks say it's Ok, while other want more power up hills, along with being further away from the towing limit of the truck.

I tow a 17ft Casita with a Tacoma and it does fine! Not as well as my Chevy Z71 did, but for a mid sized truck it works well, got enough ump to get up the hills of CO. I can blow past the slow pokes and do fine till some moron jumps out in the passing lane in their underpowered vehicle and I have to back off. Then it takes time to get back up to speed, but still enough power to handle the Escape. You will be fine!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #20

Quote:
What is your water tank / grey water setup?
Black and grey are forward of the axle. The fresh water is at the very rear, aft of the the axle. The hot-water tank is another 6 gals. and is on the driver side, aft of the axle.

Tags
escape