My RV search begins - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-18-2008, 10:48 AM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
A Casita would not fit. They are over 7 feet exterior height.

Instead of paving you might consider lawn pavers
Oh darn - you're right. I was looking at the # for interior height, not exterior. Sigh. So no garage storage after all. Lawn pavers - what are they exactly? I'm guessing kinda like bricks or stepping stones? It was awhile back that I checked city codes on storing RVs so I'll do that again, and see if something like that is allowed. I do know I'm not allowed to store it on grass which is what is in the side yard now. Not that it seems like a great idea even if it were allowed.
Robin & TZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:54 AM   #22

Quote:
another "Shower" option for you involves the tub, but scales it down to a Navy Shower.
Yes, I've thought of that if I can't get a shower. Simply rinsing off. I'll go that way if I have to but ... I feel so sweaty and grimy after a day of agility that an actual shower is appealing. I have used my folks' shower in their trailer. While it doesn't have the power of a shower at home, it's still refreshing.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:24 PM   #23

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
If they don't allow storage on grass then they might not allow these.

http://www.grassypavers.com/

That's one example; there are other kinds. They might be more likely to allow the concrete ones. (So it doesn't look like they are allowing you to park on grass.)

Rant: it seems to me that telling you where you can park on your own property is a great example of too much government! In our town you have to have one covered parking space. It does not have to be used for parking. How dumb is that?
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 02:15 PM   #24

Quote:
If they don't allow storage on grass then they might not allow these.

http://www.grassypavers.com/

Rant: it seems to me that telling you where you can park on your own property is a great example of too much government! In our town you have to have one covered parking space. It does not have to be used for parking. How dumb is that?
No go. I just searched out the code again. Various items about being on private property, not blocking public right of way or emergency access. Item 2 states simply: [b]Recreational vehicles shall be parked on a paved surface.

My city government loves to interfere, that's why I went looking. I figured they'd have code regulations and I was right. Don't get me started on their new rules about garbage cans and where you can put them ...
Old 10-18-2008, 02:19 PM   #25

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Let's keep this on topic please.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 02:38 PM   #26

Sorry - getting back on topic

I just went and measured my driveway and my Tribute. It is easily long enough for both a 13' or a 15' and my SUV. I could even squeeze in a 16' if I decided to go that long. A 17' would put the back of my SUV right at the end of the driveway - too close for my comfort. I think I will stick with the 13' eggs I've been looking at and keep my eye on the new 15' that Trillium will be putting out.

I'm having to switch gears becuase I really had planned to keep it in the garage. So now, a question for others who can't keep theirs under cover. Do you just leave them out, or put tarps over them?
Old 10-19-2008, 11:15 AM   #27

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Sorry - getting back on topic

I just went and measured my driveway and my Tribute. It is easily long enough for both a 13' or a 15' and my SUV. I could even squeeze in a 16' if I decided to go that long. A 17' would put the back of my SUV right at the end of the driveway - too close for my comfort. I think I will stick with the 13' eggs I've been looking at and keep my eye on the new 15' that Trillium will be putting out.

I'm having to switch gears becuase I really had planned to keep it in the garage. So now, a question for others who can't keep theirs under cover. Do you just leave them out, or put tarps over them?
Seems like I have heard that the older Scamps do fit in the garage... apparently they sit a little lower. Not sure if you have any desire for a pre-loved egg, but something to think about.

There's a school in my back yard, so I drive around through their parking lot and back up an embankment into my yard to park the Burro. I can't see buying a tarp, but some people do that.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:32 AM   #28

Quote:
I think it depends upon where you live and what you're trying to accomplish by covering the trailer. I live in the PacificNorthWET. Mold/meldew and black spots are a concern on the finish. However, I also live in a VERY windy area and putting a tarp directly on the trailer causes more harm than mold that can be washed off. Consequently, I've changed gears and provided a metal carport for my trailer's hibernation. Now, it stays dry, out of the direct sun/heat and about all that happens to the finish is it gets dusty. I'm fortunate enough to have the space next to my home and behind the fence line. While not hugely expensive, its far more $$ than a tarp. But I also think of it as an investment to my property because now I've provided a potential buyer of the property a place to park their RV/boat/toys, etc. offstreet parking is at a premium in my neighborhood.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:52 PM   #29

A friend has made a suggestion which I am seriously considering - putting in an RV gate. My house (and garage) may be small, but I have a large back yard. The fence originally did have a gate that could be opened wide; my landlord kept an old boat trailer back there when I first moved in many years ago (I've lived here forever, just about). He got rid of the boat trailer several years ago. When the fence needed replacing, he put in a regular size gate. I'm hoping, if I pay for it, that he would have no objection to my putting a wide gate back in again.

The area back there where his boat trailer was, and where my trailer would go, is gravel. Not pavement as my city code specifies but at least it's better than grass. I doubt anyone would complain - if they did, I'd have to deal with it. My company does offer RV storage on a back lot for a reasonable fee. So if worse comes to worse, there's a backup plan.

If I can put in that gate I can consider going up to 16 or 17 feet, though I do still have to keep a careful eye on weight since my TV is a Mazda Tribute. A side dinette isn't a must have on my list, but it would be nice. I love the chairs in the Casita Freedom layout. Can anyone tell me if they are comfortable? I know that means less sleeping capability but, it's only me and my dogs so that's not a problem for me. I haven't been able to find any other eggs offering a side dinette with chairs instead of a bench. Is the Freedom the only one like that?

Robin
Old 10-24-2008, 04:53 PM   #30

Quote:
I haven't been able to find any other eggs offering a side dinette with chairs instead of a bench. Is the Freedom the only one like that?
Robin
Comfort is subjective. Some find the captains chairs very comfortable, others have pulled them out to put in bench seating.

OTOH: Scamp makes a side-dinette, bench seating. We've seen mods where the owners put in Captain-style chairs on the benches. I've got a very comfortable desk chair (that swivels), that I'd consider mounting in a trailer, if I had a side dinette model.... So see, bench or captain chair shouldn't be a deal breaker... you can change to what suits your needs/wants.