Nasty storm - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Nasty storm

Hope all you folks in the east are safe after that awful storm. Wishing everyone well.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We were real lucky, never lost power, only a few branches blown off the trees, not much rain, and cable TV was only out for a few minutes. Daughter in CT is still without power. feeling for all those who are worse off.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #3

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Damage much less than pre-storm estimates on the DelMarva particularly with reference to rainfall totals, inland flooding, and power outages. Coastal damage bad enuf Jersey and Delaware shores but looks like NYC took the big hit for a second time. Eye passed directly over us and only one large silver maple leader down on the neighbor's electric service lines. Delmarva Power called this morning; no action yet. We had no power outage except for two hours Sun. nite while Sandy was still at sea.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #4

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Anyone heard from Honda (Norm and Ginny)?
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #5

New York
Haven't heard from new Hampshire yet, hope they are o.k. N.Y. City is a big mess and our daughter lives in new London conn, she has no power and alot of damage around her but she is safe
Old 10-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Non event

Thanks for the concern.

The storm was a non-event in NH. Other then higher than normal surf and a lot of sand on the beach road, it was not dis-similar from our typical winter storm and not nearly as potent as the 90's Perfect Storm, at least here.

The media generally overhypes all storms, partially because for the last 7 years they have been few and far between.

We received very little rain on the seacoast and did not lose power.

Of course there were some power outages in the state but in general rather mild.

Ginny always gets concerned and we now have 3 cans of Spam and 3 dozen eggs on hand.....

Best wishes to those less fortunate, particularly in costal communites where flooding was significant further south...

We ended up sitting our grand nieces for a couple of days, always fun and doing a few little trailer improvements.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:47 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You're VERY fortunate Norm and Ginny. It sounds like, not that far from you, folks lives have been changed forever due to this storm.

Be safe everyone.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #8

Trailer: Aliner
Quote:
Ginny always gets concerned and we now have 3 cans of Spam and 3 dozen eggs on hand.....
That is too funny! Yep, you are prepped for sure!
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #9

Florida
Donna,

Certainly sorry for all negatively effected by the storm. Glad we were not. Just a lot of Spam to eat here.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-31-2012, 10:28 AM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
[QUOTE=honda03842;342616]The media generally overhypes all storms,/QUOTE]

Your fortunate Norm, Mother nature isnt predictable. Had her path changed a few degrees you may be singing a different story. There are more than a few folks who have lost it all who would say the government and media didn't hype it enough.

Anyone heard from Alf? Ontario and Quebec got hit hard yesterday. Areas around Quebec City are still under fire and expecting more flooding.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:20 AM   #11

New York
daughter in conn still without power, she's in new london, conn. a lot of damage for sure
Old 10-31-2012, 11:29 AM   #12

Registry
Hopefully our resident New Yorker and photographer Jon Vermilye will check in soon.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:20 PM   #13

Florida
Carol and Donna,

As you know we live at the ocean, close enough to hear it continuously so I do pay attention.

There's definitely a lack of historical perspective with respect to weather.

Mother nature is comparitively infinitely powerful and worthy of our respect; unfortunately government, their agencies and the media do not fall into the same respect category in my estimation.

As I stated earlier I do recognize that some do have their lives altered by weather events, for that I am sorry but powerless.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-31-2012, 01:16 PM   #14

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
No purpose is served in painting governmental authority and relief agencies generally as either incompetent or unresponsive. If your local authority has proved to be either or both, then political involvement to correct the situation is in order. As for the television medium, it marches behind the circus horses in my parade. Dissemination of governmental directives is done very well by television news but the clown reporters and their crews wading about in the surf is idiotic and plays to the voyeur in each of us. Once the power for light, heat, TV, and water pump is gone, the thrill is no longer vicarious.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Hopefully our resident New Yorker and photographer Jon Vermilye will check in soon.
I made out OK. I'm in upstate NY, on the shore of Lake Ontario (about 250' away). My weather station clocked the highest wind burst at 45MPH, while one of the Nuke plants 11 miles away hit around 55MPH.

I did have an Ash tree go down (actually, my neighbor's) but it missed the house (and trailer). Spent the last two afternoons cutting it up & stacking it for firewood.

It is going to be a different winter - I've heated my house with wood since 1976, but since firewood is now more expensive than natural gas, I'm seeing what it is like not to haul an armload of wood from the basement to the stove every day. So far, I like it! It is also practice for next winter which I hope to spend in the southwest.

Of course, now I have a pile of wood that needs splitting & hauling...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:22 PM   #16

Registry
Glad to hear your fine Jon. Enjoy the new heating mod!!

Norm I have to say your comments re lack of respect for government is a little funny coming from someone who has indicated they were a politician.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:26 PM   #17

Name: Lew
Trailer: none
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Glad to hear your fine Jon. Enjoy the new heating mod!!

Norm I have to say your comments re lack of respect for government is a little funny coming from someone who has indicated they were a politician.

Norm would make a terrible politician, he's too honest!
BigLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:49 PM   #18

Florida
Politician

Carol,

My political mentor said that it was a problem that I wore my heart on my sleeve. Regardless I was elected three times and always won by about a 3 to 1 margin.

I think my small business background helped. In three years during a time of relatively high inflation I never raised taxes and generally improved the community.

Unlike many politicians I knew and know, my simple goal was to do the best I could and not simply to get re-elected and hold power.

After 6 years I decided I had enough of politics. Ginny and I sold our home in CT and moved to a quieter life at our NH summer/beach place.

Little did I know that this vast down sizing, 3.600 square foot home to a 600 square foot cottage would be a precursor to a 92 square foot trailer.

I will say I liked being able to do positive things for our community though politics was not as much fun as cooking in a soup kitchen or sleeping in a shelter. Life has been fun and most importantly instructive.

As to trust of government, my government was small our national governement has grown very large. A vigilant citizenship is very important in a democracy. The unfortunate part of government, government agencies and politicians in general is that justification of their existenance can become more important than simply doing a the job.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-31-2012, 06:09 PM   #19

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Little did I know that this vast down sizing, 3.600 square foot home to a 600 square foot cottage would be a precursor to a 92 foot trailer.
That is a LONG trailer!

Oh! did you mean a 92 square foot trailer?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:41 PM   #20

Florida
Thanks

Thanks David fixed it.

When we decided to become RVers we were given the Long, Long Trailer, almost mockingly. Of course collecting rocks became a hobby.

Going into our 12th year we couldn't be happier. Only 3 1/2 weeks before we hit the road.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16